The 5w/kg thread

Absolutely smashed the 5w/kg for 20 mins

Was feeling really good before the race, nicely warmed up. Just went for it from the start, decided to see how long I could maintain a max effort

Edit: I’ve just been upgrade in Zwift power to category A+

5 Likes

Your FTP is my 1min power!

(well, I might squeeze out more for 1 min but I couldn’t hold 352 for 2mins)

FTP being 95% of a 20 minute effort

Beldon & Barnett are well known
George Fox did a 49.54 25 mile TT … on a road bike

I’m still unclear. Are you saying that they’d struggle to hold 95% of their 20min power for roughly a full hour?

That’s an insane jump at that kind of level. Seriously impressive. How long was the full race? It frustrates me zwiftpower doesnt list the race duration on your list of activities. It’s hard to put activity AP into context without it

I’d say no way.
He has been showing his efforts on ypitube whilst he’s been holed up so I’d like to see just how much he put into it.

Haven’t followed the scene much recently but I recognise a few of those names. Zwift isn’t about CDA which helps a lot of them outside.

Still excellent athletes though.

Fantastic, :+1: well done

You held 352 watts for 20mins, right?

No, that number will be c95% of what he held for 20mins based on how I understand zwifts FTP notifications to work.

ETA - Matt’s 20min raw watts was 269 according to zwiftpower

It’s always a little confusing - is FTP referring to 20mins, 60mins, or is the W/kg 20 or 60mins, and how does zwift calculate it? I’ve never used it but I understand it’ll bump you up or down based on training rides etc that aren’t necessarily full on FTP tests. Whatever, looks like the man is fit!

That’s what I was checking. I think this is back to a previous discussion we had about you saying 95% of a 20min effort being non-representative of FTP. But you seem to equate FTP to be an hour, which is wrong based on my understanding.

If you go by the FTP definition of Coggan, then it can range quite widely in duration. That’s why software like WKO has a TTE metric. You can get athletes with a TTE as low as 35mins. Their FTP is still their FTP, they just haven’t specifically trained their endurance to last for a full 60mins

I could never do 95% of my 20 minute power for an hour…

Because very few of us train to do that

You have a good memory - I can’t remember what I wrote last week :joy:

I would say this article, and the graph in it, is one of the many reasons why it took me so long to get to Kona. I’ve a higher FTP than the age grouper but as distance and time increases I become progressively worse and worse at sustaining what the “textbook” says I should be able to. So I was always overbiking and then falling apart. Took time to learn the lesson! Different horses for different courses…

My bad - checked back and it was a different person with a username starting similarly! Apologies!

Out of interest, were you able to accurately assess beforehand how long the ride was going to take at a certain power level? Without the associated input of something like best bike split, I’ve always seen this table as being chicken and egg.

I guess if you doing the same race each year, then you have a good guide. But for a new race, without best bike split I find it meaningless

Yep - had done IMUK twice and Wales once before I got my power meter… I suspect it helped me that for IMUK19 it was a new course and I wasn’t thinking “I need to do such and such a time to be up there in my age group”, I was just thinking I needed to ride to a much more conservative power number than I previously had done and that it would be a long day in the saddle…

I’ve found that myself, my FTP is around 290w when I’m fit and I’ve been around that for a 25.

But I seem to be well down on an IM, but it’s partly about saving the legs.

Although I did 2 consecutive 100’s last year that were 240W, and a short run after 1.

Jeff