The 5w/kg thread

I may give it a go at some point. The last 20 minute FTP test I did was in October, and left me almost throwing up… I now hold that level of intensity pretty sustaninably in a race.

1 Like

5.03w/kg - was only 15m35s so can’t claim my 20min 5w/kg yet

I think I was in pretty good shape to go on for another 4m25s though. Maybe another 20min FTP test is required

1 Like

You’re doing so well to keep such consistent improvement in the circumstances…

I’m watching this thread with interest as I’m TTing according to ZP at 4.2WKG for 20mins at 292 watts. As I’m 70KG going to increase power as the weight isn’t dropping any time soon.

1 Like

Tonight’s turbo session, at 64.4kg:
15 minute warm-up
20 minutes hard (302w, 157bpm)
5 minute recovery
20 minutes hard (311w, 165bpm, 4.83w/kg)
15 minute cool-down.
That was the best numbers I’ve ever done for this session, in particular I was surprised with how high the second effort was. I’m probably a little heavier than I would normally be at this time of year due to being generally a bit less active in lockdown, and sadly having the kitchen cupboards too close…
Will try having a crack at a stand-alone 20 minute FTP test next week. Will also be interested to try the same test maybe a week after that again on the TT bike to see how the power figures compare and feel versus the road bike.

6 Likes

I’m taking up darts …

2 Likes

Short race on Zwift tonight, 17 mins 4.83w/kg.

Lakesman winner…!

I have no business on this thread but think I was in same race as you, I was 3rd B 4.1w/kg. You won the A’s right?

What duration was that for?

I would hope not long…
sub hour I’m guessing

Saw an interview with LS … says the winner was using Zee power and shouldn’t have been in the race…

Says he was pushing 500 watts uphill and still getting distanced…

It’s not real !! …Literally

Yeah that’s right, looking at results you ride with WKG too? :+1:I posted a video in the group, ZP says 1st but from the video you can see I just missed out on the line! Good result from you too! Mini Crits are ace!

Could probably just about fathom 5.5 w/kg for 20 minutes (in the same way that I could just about fathom a sub-15 5k), but when you start realising the world’s best can run 8 x sub-15 5ks in a row (plus an extra 2k) or can ride 5.5w/kg for an hour or more (wasn’t Wiggins riding over 400 watts for his hour record - I’d say around 6w/kg), then you realise how good the best actually are…

1 Like

We’re will it end…!

Victor Campenaerts rode 450 watts for the hour record at 72? Kg…

Lance grassed himself up years before he actually did… by revealing numbers that
“ weren’t really humanly possible”

He took them down again quite quickly IIRC?

The search for faster will always continue … its in our blood at all levels

Interesting results from last nights British Cycling TT on Tempus Fugit. The results scatter a who’s who of domestic timetrialling.

All appear to be hovering around the 5 w/kg and many wouldn’t have made that benchmark at an FTP level.

1 Like

Can’t quite make out what you mean by this?

I’m pretty ignorant to UK TTing names. Who are recognisable names on there (excluding Dowsett)?

Recognise a few of these names from the comic…

Would any of these beat Alex D in the real World…?

I don’t think Zwift is that fair when it comes to flat TTs, look at the guy who finished above him with the same time. No way that would happen with that difference in power in the real world; 20% more power =/= 20% more drag. Don’t forget he’s at altitude so will be down on usual numbers and is doing these in position on the TT bike.

Basically, take it with a spoon of salt!

F*** that was hard 5.17w/kg

11 Likes

Blimey!! But not unexpected. That’s insane Matt, well done!

Now i’m riding again, it’s helping me to realise how nuts perfromances like this are!