The alternative rant thread - I LOVE

Popped round to my mum and dad’s, this afternoon. My dad was a pretty decent club runner back in the day, but stopped running in the 90s. He got back into it in lockdown and discovered Strava and rejoined the running club that we both used to run for. They had their awards evening for the last couple of seasons and he came home with a few pots, including a handicap race that I won 17 years ago. On top of that he’s just qualified to represent England in some home nations 10k event in September. He’s 78. Meanwhile, I struggled to run to 2 miles this week.

23 Likes

Is your Dad called ‘DQ’? That’s unfortunate! :smile:

8 Likes

Nice :+1: :clap:

Glad it was a handicap race for your sake :grinning:

Shame your Dad’s name doesn’t start with Z, the trophy would be officially complete & your club would have to retire it and start a new one.

8 Likes

The chickens are finally allowed out after 6 months of being restricted to the run, the restrictions ended at midnight.

6 Likes

That’s awesome!!

1 Like

9.5 hours sleep :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

True, but the only distance where I have a faster pb than him is over 5km. 10k, 10miles (remember that distance?), half marathon and marathon, he’s considerably faster. A 2:50 marathon (on an average of 25mpw, water and short shorts) compared to my 3:17.

6 Likes

Have you got Covid again?

Bloody hope not! Early start yesterday and long day.

1 Like

I married Mrs W 25 years ago today!

We had a traditional Greek Orthodox wedding in Mrs W’s parents village in Cyprus. I had no idea what was going on because it was all in Greek and a bit weird, but apparently it was legit :roll_eyes:. We had about 20 of our closest friends and family out for the week and the whole village turned out on the day and we had an amazing time.

I can’t believe it was 25 years ago. Time flies

26 Likes

Congratulations to you both :+1:

1 Like

That’s awesome. Congrats!

1 Like

Congrats!

1 Like

Huge congratulations @Whisk :partying_face:

1 Like

Congrats @Whisk!

1 Like

25 years… that’s basically a whole life sentence in the British judiciary system isn’t it? Probably the wrong lens to be looking at it though. Congratulations!

4 Likes

Congratulations!

I think you need to rock up to a race on that bike :grin:

1 Like

many congrats

we’re on 43 years - double life!!

4 Likes

Don’t want to wax too lyrical but did a race today as part of a 4 man relay team, it was a marathon and we did one quarter each.

I just really loved everything about it. The banter and camaraderie, darting about the lanes in the team car (3 grown men folded up into my Aygo), trying to get to the handover points at the right times, the fact that our combined age was over 200 but we could still give some of the youngsters a run for their money.

But most of all the feeling of being able to move on foot freely and fairly quickly across the ground for 6 miles, with everything just working right: the heart, the lungs, the muscles, the joints all being used at the upper range of their capacity, and happy to be so. That felt like something not to take for granted, it won’t last forever, but it’s a great thing while it does. It felt really special & reminded me why I enjoy this crazy hobby.

Does that make any sense?

Here endeth the sermon LOL

21 Likes