The alternative rant thread - I LOVE

I might copy that for a future holiday, thanks.

1 Like

MAAP kit, you suave bar steward :heart_eyes:

1 Like

If you want any recommendations, routes, places to stay etc. Feel free to drop me a message. No idea where you’re based but Ryanair fly direct from Bristol to Girona airport which is only 15 mins drive to the city and normally super cheap, bar the £120 added for the bike box.

1 Like

:smile: Mostly all I buy now. Expensive but the quality is lovely. I usually buy with a £50 Strava discount or from the outlet. Debating getting some of the gravel/cargo bibs… :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

I buy Le Col kit which is also lovely and like you I’d never think of hitting buy without the £50 Strava code.

Though I did just buy my wife a pair of MAAP bibs in the Sigma Sport sale for £100 and the quality is great. Not quite Assos, but still nice.

The entirely predictable BBQ this evening

6 Likes

I’ve actually had a really good day. Two dog walks went well, explored some new areas and met some chatty people who’ve just moved to the area. Messed around with the motorcycle all day, mowed the lawn, kebab for tea and a couple of beers. :beer: :beer:

It’s been a long time since a day has been this good.

16 Likes

Got sent this today and loved the article.

5 Likes

Edit: first impression, the mohawk dude looks pretty intimidating but on second thoughts, the guy with the kilt is probably heavily armed and ready to shoot grouse.

Interesting article + pics.

1 Like

@GRamsay - not sure where we were talking about it,
But looks like MK is gonna be a city!
You best get building that cathedral, sharp!!!

Platinum Jubilee: Eight new cities created in Queen’s honour Platinum Jubilee: Eight new cities created in Queen's honour - BBC News

6 Likes

As is Wrexham :joy:

3 Likes

Interesting article, and looks like it will be an interesting book.

1 Like

I just saw that. How funny. We do have a largish church type deal. We also have a massive peace pagoda. Total asside but one of the monks who tended it fell off a sit on lawn mower and died.

2 Likes

Is that one of the ‘verified miracles’ required to get city status, or am I confusing it with sainthood?

It does seem that city status is a desirable thing for a place. Presumably it’s similar to having a Waitrose (or Booths?) and is good for house prices and tourists. Like @FatPom I hail from the smallest city, or at least it was back then, it’s sprawled a bit since I left and I don’t know the size of these new upstarts. We always considered St David’s to not be a proper city, probably because Wales.

6 Likes

Will this change the Venn diagram of English counties with no city and no motorway?

Currently I think the intersect is Dorset, Suffolk, Northumberland, Rutland and the Isle of Wight

Incidentally all not bad places to go for a stroll and a pub lunch

2 Likes

Considering how close we live, it’s amazing that we’ve never been to IoW. I’ve never been to Tasmania either but I hear the same laws apply re family marriage, two heads and six toes though. :wink:

1 Like

We have been twice, each time it rained cats and dogs continuously, so much that now in our house it is referred to as the Isle of Wet

Not wishing to be uncharitable, but it struck me as the sort of place that might get away with charging £10 for the ferry in, and £50 for the ferry off. But maybe that view is coloured by the bad weather we had.

Edit to add, I reckon very canoeable given the recent interest on this forum. Isn’t it less than a mile from the mainland at Hurst castle?

4 Likes

I did a day trip to the Isle of Wight with some of my cycling buddies last year. We got the foot ferry across. It’s a nice 100km ride around the coastline.

We had fog for the first half of the ride, so missed out on a lot of the scenery, but when it cleared it seemed nice enough.

I went to the Isle of Man loads of times for board meetings when I was a director of a company out there. I always went as a day trip and only really saw the road between the airport and Douglas. The nearest I came to a longer trip was when bad weather caused the airport to close and it looked like we weren’t going to be able to fly out, but thankfully it cleared for long enough for us to get out.

The IoM really is the land that time forgot

5 Likes

There was a thread started about this a while ago…

Midlife Cyclist

Phil and Jules have just moved Cyclefit to very swish new premises in London. The book must be doing well :wink:

1 Like

I don’t know where they are now, but I think Cyclefit’s always been in swish premises. They were in Covent Garden the last time I went there (2015?), which isn’t cheap.

They hosted a demo event for HotChillee where we got to try out this new thing called Zwift and met Eric Min.

I can’t see it ever catching on :roll_eyes: :rofl:

2 Likes