The over 50's

Following on from @Cobbie 's post on the colds thread it’s actually something I’ve been going to ask for a while.

Has anyone else seen their resting heart rate rising as they age? I’m sure when I used to sit still with my polar strap when I was in my early\mid 40’s it would get down to ~42. But now it rarely goes below 50.

I’ve just found the history on Garmin since I got my 945 and it would seem it’s been like that since ~2019 (age 49) but might be slowly ticking upwards. Appreciate OHR might not be quite as accurate.

It is usually in the low 50’s and a couple of times last year actually got to around 47 when I was on holiday and probably near a peak phase fitness wise, also might have something to do with summer and the warmth etc. and no stress from work.

I’ve definitely struggled with the cold in recent years, particularly when it’s also damp.

Is it just aging? I’m not as fit as I was in 40-46 but don’t think I’m miles off.

Anyone else seeing similar or got tracking? Partly got onto it because of a friend who gets down to 38’ish unless they have alcohol for a few nights and it rises about 4-5 BPM, definitely not alcohol related for me.

3 Likes