The Pain Cave & Shed Awards

Grim - :clap:t2::clap:t2:

1 Like

Looks like @Doonhamer is the current leader!

2 Likes

some shots of our pain cave - turbos not set up yet as we’ve just got back from a 6 week trip, but they will be set up soon.

this summerhouse also acts as our laundry (has the washer/tumbler in there) and has a toilet. was already in place when we bought the gaff and was one of the reasons we bought! having downsized from a 4 bed house to a 2 bed one (but with a much bigger garden) the summerhouse offered a great storage and workout space.

12 Likes

Nice!

That is superb!

I like the re-use of the odds and sods of wood bits for the shelves, that is exactly what we did :slight_smile:

The bike storage thing is great, too - is that just a floor-to-ceiling bike stand, with your own additions to support more bikes?

Do you often steam vegetables and have a wine/beer post-workout? :wink:

FYI: This is my current favourite for the sheer simplicity and elegance of it.

most of the timber shelves came with the shelving system I bought off e-bay - 2 are surplus IKEA Lack shelves. likewise the drawer units are surplus ones from the move, and the PC “desk” is a leftover from another job in the main house.

the bike unit is a Topeak one - the standard one holds 2 bikes, and I’ve bought add ons for 2 more. It’s a bit fiddly for the rear bikes due to closeness to the wall, but no big deal in reality. https://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-dual-touch-bike-stand/

it’s not a steamer btw - it’s a desiccator. we use it for drying foraged fungi, and excess fruit from the garden.

it has 2 downsides - it’s effing roasting in summer as it’s fully south facing with a lot of glass; and freezing in winter due to the stone flag floor (that’s why there’s a 3Kw fan blower in the corner behind the rower).

2 Likes

Cheers!
Aldi have a similar one in stock at the moment, not as nice as the Topeak one, but a fair bit cheaper.
I’d not thought of storing bikes this way!

https://www.aldi.co.uk/bikemate-floor-to-ceiling-bike-stand/p/020578298050900

(also, whilst I’m on the subject of Aldi, they currently have some lights in stock which are Leyzne ones in all but name: https://www.aldi.co.uk/front-%26-rear-bike-light-set/p/017096282743300)

You don’t need it warm in summer for training, as you can be outside in the glorious weather.
Winter? You’re not pain-caving hard enough if you’re cold :wink:
I did wonder why there was a builders heater in the corner, brr!

I’ve got the Minoura version of a similar pole, very versatile, also great for hanging spare wheels from.

1 Like

that Aldi stand looks like a pretty good bargain - certainly worth a try. we only put the heater on to take the chill off before turboing and don’t turbo in there in summer, although I do manage a sweaty row in there often.

I saw those bike stands when in Mallorca last week but too heavy to bring back as luggage. I’m back at home tomorrow so will pos some pics of my set up

You all sicken me with all your space! :rofl:

My “pain cave” is simply my hallway. Thankfully it’s fairly wide, so the bikes on the wall don’t take up too much room (S-Works now replaced with the Scott Plasma, but it appears I have no picture)

Turboing has to take place around the corner (hallway is L-shaped). Old dumb turbo now replaced with a Direto.

It wasn’t too bad when I lived alone … I think that turbo mat had been down in the hallway for about 3 continuous years! And I just shifted the bike/turbo as close to the wall as possible. But now the gf has moved in, kind of understandably I have to set up, and fully pack down, for each session. So that the hallway is actually a hallway. Wtf?! :zipper_mouth_face: Adds considerable time/faff to completing a workout!

7 Likes

I bloody hate having to do that! Sometimes it’s enough to prevent me doing a session which is very soft! For me it depends on how much space is in the garage. As of Sunday I made 3 trips to the dump so I can now setup the turbo there for bit. One less excuse :wink:

Those sweat patches on the matt are proper grim btw!

2 Likes

All very inspiring some rather luxurious training spaces and a few rather grim, good numbers of bikes for most.
I think the disused shit house is the current leader with excellent use of the almost antique Black and Decker Workmate.

7 Likes

To be fair, the photo was taken immediately after a session as evidence of how much I had sweated!
That said, there wouldn’t have been much “cleaning up”. I would have wiped off the surface “water” with the used towel before it went in the washing machine, and that would have been it!

I’m with you on this!!!
I CBA to pack up and down for an hour on the turbo. You’re not soft, just being efficient

2 Likes

I’m with you both as well, but I don’t have another option! As I said at the start, all of you sicken me with the amount of space (and potential) you have!!

You may have a “hardcore trainer” award for that, then :clap:
Nice storage solution on the hanging, too :+1:t3:

You say that. There’s a reason since the gf moved in that I’ve only done one turbo session at home, and done a handful of sessions back at the gym on the wattbike!

Thanks for the kind words people, I enjoyed a great wee session this lunchtime.
I also have to pack up/down for each session as the H&S guys get excited when they see my set-up.
Perhaps your eyes have been dragged elsewhere, but it’s refreshing to see that nobody is criticising me for having a triple :joy:

1 Like

Man cave V2

14 Likes