The Sleep Thread

I work shifts so it’s a mixed bag for me.
On days, it’s a 4.30 alarm so 6 hours is my best case scenario.
On nights, I’m in bed for 7am and usually up for 1pm so again thats only 6 hours. I try to make up for in on my down days where I usually get at least 8 hours.

5 Likes

7 ½ hours but broken.

Last night, sleep at 11, mrs home from work and woke me up at 11.30, son got into bed with me at 12.30 and 2.30. up at 6.45.

:sleeping:

3 Likes

Phones away at 8pm, sometime sneak some phone time in during advert breaks.

TV off and brushing teeth by 10pm

Bed.

Generally get up between 6am - 6:45am now.
Got out of the habit of 0545 to get to the pool.

Feel better for it, too.

2 Likes

Insomnia has plagued me my entire life, sometimes it goes on for weeks - often I will go down to 2-3 hours a night for days on end. Occasionally things get to a head and I have to take week off work to recover.

Its a mental thing, sometimes I simply cant switch of my mind. Suddenly being wide awake at 3AM and being obsessed with something ridiculous. Last weeks highlight was becoming obsessed with learning about the history of Sharpness docks for no apparent reason at 4AM

8 Likes

Though the best Molly’s Chambers song is King’s of Leon.

2 Likes

That’s the only version I know.

With a new baby, my answer is whatever I can get. Oh, and technically I also watch her sleep (the baby, not wife).

6 Likes

:+1:

I’ve has touches of this, but much more hours and it only lasts for 2-3 days then I sleep as much as 13? Hours straight.

It doesn’t normally repeat, the sleep pattern you described is quite frightening to be honest.

Touch better in the winter?

Dark nights etc ?

1 Like

Iirc I broke out of that with inane iPlayer broadcasts, like Hancocks Half Hour and Dads Army in my EarPods in the dark or in bed. AudioBooks too - they replace the inner voice with whatever the hell they’re talking about, stopping me from thinking about whatever is keeping me up. Cannot be instructional like a podcast or anything though.

That was a few years ago, it hasn’t “fixed”
my sleep, but those really terrible nights are fewer and further between. I get a bit stressed now if I don’t have something to listen to in bed, so it’s still a crutch.

More recently I discovered YouTube rain videos, they’re really nice if you’re on the sofa but won’t work if something is on your mind I don’t think.

3 Likes

@Mungo2 @joex

Dark nights don’t really make a difference. It’s not a lack of tiredness often I will initially fall asleep for 20 minutes then practically sit bolt upright again.

And it’s not like I can make use of the extra hours; while I am still awake and unable to switch off my mind is still tired and the thinking is not of super high quality. Shame really.

I suspect I am on a spectrum of some sort, but I have accepted that it’s part of my life now.

3 Likes

quite often the sleep pattern you’ve described is associated with anxiety, rather than spectrum disorders.

2 Likes

I cant sleep, have had bad anxiety in the past, and am on the spectrum (aspergers). Spectrum disorders and anxiety often to go hand in hand, but I agree what Flashheart describes sounds more anxiety driven. The racing mind. I have it, cant shut it up. Often its not anything important or troubling, just thoughts.

@LordFlasheart - I have had some success with this method How to Fall Asleep Fast in 10, 60, or 120 Seconds

3 Likes

I have heard many medical professionals say not to trust personal sleep monitor tech, but…fuck them :wink:

:rofl:

2 Likes

Looks similar to mine!
How many hours do you average a night? I think I’m about 7.

I think about avg 6h20 for the same period

And that’s a recovery month

Cant be doing my training any good

Surely you need less sleep in a recovery month?

8:00 is low for me, always aim over 8 and often get around 9 on normal days. Even when on nights I get at least 7.

4 Likes

Had a decent sleep last night but still tired today, I suspect the efforts of the race have caught up with me.

Always found I was really hungry on a Monday after a hard weekend, so I’m about to demolish a smallish pizza :yum:

5 Likes

I have struggled with sleep my entire life.

Last weekend LadyFlash bought me a weighed blanket, early days but it seems to be having a positive effect.

I will report back.

8 Likes

Sleep is worse than last reported if watch is to be believed.

Weighted blankets were amazing the first few times. Might try to find it again now.

Keeping my eyes open all day is all but impossible now. Tried really hard today so I can try going to bed before midnight tonight. only dozed off for ten minutes this afternoon.

Aiming to start training in the morning tomorrow to get me up earlier too, so early bed isn’t so hard.

1 Like