The Sub 5 70.3 Thread

Probably not going to race this year at all but going to try for a self supported half instead at sub 5:30 to prep for next year.

35, 2:55, 2:00 transitions inc

8 Likes

Did we get anywhere in actually deciding where the sausage fest/smackdown/sub 5 etc event was?

Be good to schedule it in…

1 Like

Don’t think so, I can only do the June Cotswold as I have Frankfurt in July.

Can we create a poll or is the calendar not complete yet?

Hopefully won’t have carryover races next year.

Could do the 113 or Outlaw if there’s one in June?

1 Like

I can do 113.

Outlaws in May and June

• Outlaw Half Nottingham Weekend, 20/21 May 2023
• Outlaw Half Woburn Weekend, 24/25 June 2023

Feels like the timing of 113 is very good, early enough to avoid but also be a good sighter for most people’s IMs (except Lanza), but late enough for better chance of good weather and having good training in the bank.

2 Likes

113 looks about a week early and just around my birthday. Might be able to talk the gf into a holiday.

The Woburn works as well, possibly others.

Guess my retirement (from racing) is on hold :joy:

5 Likes

With Cascais in the bag I’m excited to plan for next year.

Looking back at my best training year 20/21 and trying to align it as much as I can while focussing on my running. With and average Bike TSS of 300 and Run 190 TSS I got my target sub 2:30 olympic results, I had plenty of time off work and no swimming until April 21, so it’s going to be a logistical challenge to break 5 in a permanent mgmt job. I’m thinking 400 Bike TSS and 300 Run.

Swim focus now while I’m recovering, then lifting focus as I get back into running, then at Christmas start Half Distance training proper.

If my legs can handle it, I still want to do this end of Nov, beginning of Dec. Having a 5:30 practice would be a confidence builder. Either virtual bike, or I’m exploring the idea of using the Road Circuit at the VeloPark one evening. Could be a boring 56 laps and cold though. :cold_face:

Then a March <1h50 half marathon, an April marathon, May 2:16 Olympic and I’ll have a shot at <5 at the Cotswold 113 June 4th. Then to celebrate IM Frankfurt 4 weeks later.

7 Likes

I’m now thinking this is way overzealous.

I know it’s a description not prescription etc but going for a similar load 300 TSS bike per week but with consistent swim and run could be all I need for a stronger performance than 2021.

It’s so hard to convert idealism to realism.

Anyone else sorting their sub 5 plans out?

3 Likes

I don’t understand what you mean here. Is that your weekly training values in TSS?

1 Like

Edited, you’re quite right

1 Like

Does the change in work mean you couldn’t do 300 TSS on the bike and 190 TSS on the run now? Do you use a TSS goal to plan or is that more looking back?

After narrowly missing this a few times this year it’s going to be a target for next if I can get a suitable race.

2 Likes

I went to see if the people that took over the Sundowner had it on their site but currently the only the one they have is the one at Newby Hall on 5th August. I wil have to see what the family holiday plans are before booking in to anything during the school holidays.

2 Likes

I saw the one at Newby, sounds like it could be the Yorkshireman.

But it’s the same day as the Steelman that I’ve already entered.

Ridiculous that they couldn’t have avoided the clash, they’re barely 20 miles up the A1

1 Like

Is this not a sub 5 course?

Yes, should be. Bike is a little bit longer and the run has some trails and track but short transitions gain time.

3 Likes

Maybe, I wasn’t working that season.

It’s looking back, and considering what performance I got from the stress I suffered through.

Then looking forward, are my plans in the right ball park? Am I expecting too much of myself, or expecting too much from the training I’ll be able to do. Part of that is simple hours, part of that is TSS, and part is the phases of training I guess.

My first post I simply thought ‘increase the TSS and hours if I want to break 5’. Now I’m thinking that could be unrealistic, but it could also be misguided: If instead of increasing the load I was more consistent over a longer period with Swim and Run and simply match the Bike of that season, I might see a better performance from the same hours/stress.

Sometimes I think I’m training a lot, sometimes I see those Annual TSS charts for triathletes and think I should stick to knitting!

1 Like

It’s possibly a PB course. Transitions help massively. Swim to T1 is 10 meters… Bike to T2 about 20.
Bike is long as mentioned but it’s rolling and well marshalled. ( there were road works last year sadly so I got stuck at them )
Run is trail but pretty flat. As long as it doesn’t rain it’s a good run.

2 Likes

Just saying:

3 Likes