The Time Trial Thread

Did my first ever 2-up yesterday on our new club 25 course (B25/54) Wasn’t sure what to expect as never ridden a TT bike that close to anyone before, but it actually went pretty well and we managed a 57:30 which is the quickest I have ever ridden a 25! :slight_smile:

Surprised that Joe Skipper’s 52:31 was only good enough for 2nd place! :exploding_head:

9 Likes

10m TT yesterday. 5 mins in and I had a :coffee: :face_vomiting: but tried to hold it together.

Lack of sleep and illness this week so I wasn’t expecting much: :+1: 20 min Power PB for the year :-1: over a min down on last year.

8 Likes

Viking 50m TT F2/50

Summary - tough day out, 10w down on last year and 2 mins slower.

Long version
Recovering from jetlag. Fitted the Torhans and filled it with electrolytes and calories. The zipties failed just before the start and I lost the lot. I’d stuck an emergency gel in my shorts and had an aero bottle on but only half full. 1 gel and 250ml of water is about right for a 50…right…right? Only 20c in the shade and the F2 course has shade right…right?

Oh well, let’s go suffer. Set off and targeting 200 to 205w. Got to the first RAB, average speed 43kmh . Well this aero malarky is doing it’s magic.

Spun round the RAB and was hit with a block headwind. Ah, penny drop. This is going to be a long old slog back.

Up, down, up down. Got to halfway in a PB time but then the lack of water and energy slowly but surely sapped my legs dry. Average power was dropping and 200w+ started to feel hard. Anyway, dug in, enjoying the out leg and hating every second of the back.

Final leg and I tried emptying myself to find it had already happened.

37kmh off 187w and just under 2 mins slower than last year. 2.10.09

Got back to HQ to find out that most people were saying they were slower than last year with the different conditions. Onwards, got a F2/25 coming up later this year. Yeah, I’m a glutton for punishment.

13 Likes

Nice work Sir. Shame about the lost fluids, F2/50 is a good course but an absolute wind magnet. Windy there even on still days……

1 Like

A couple of queries on the rules:
a) Can you overtake on the left if safe to do so. e.g. on a roundabout when rider ahead has taken racing line on the right (preventing an overtake on the right)?
b) Can you cross the dotted white line (into lane for oncoming traffic, which is clear, obviously) when overtaking if:
i) Rider being overtaken is not on the left, perhaps middle due to potholes (there are a lot on the course I use)?
ii) Overtaking 2 riders at the same time?

Do the rules for above differ from a TT to triathlon?

I’ve had a quick search of the club handbook and the CTT regulations and couldn’t see anything mentioned regarding overtaking other than the rider overtaken needed to drop back to avoid drafting (and stuff about team cars).

I’ll wait to see the responses before potentially admitting to doing one of these.

Did a 24:08 in my 2nd event of the season, equalling my 3rd fastest time on the course (PB is 23:15).

Slight opps moment when setting up, when pumping up the back tire I ended up knocking the disc cover off when removing the pump. The tape was already quite loose, not sure if beause of heat or being stretched too tight. Didn’t have any spare tape so just took that side off. Left the drive side on.

2 Likes

Latex tyres. Are they basically just air bombs?

I just put a pair on my race bike with brand new tyres too. Never used latex tubes before. Took bike for a test spin around the block, 2km or so, felt fine.

Got back, leant the bike against a wall, and BANG the front tube exploded for no apparent reason. The wheel was not hot, nothing was sticking into the tyre.

Post mortem shows a 2 cm split down the middle of the outside the tube , almost exactly half a wheel away from the valve.

Was pumped to 100 PSI, 25mm tyres.

Now I’m a bit jittery about racing on them tomorrow, there is a steep downhill at 38km and a blowout on that would not be much fun.

Just bad luck? Or something I did wrong ???

I have put a new latex tube in but am tempted to take both out and stick with butyl

I had them for Cots last year and also commuted in them for a while cos I couldn’t be bothered to change them. No such issues, just ended up with everyday punctures.

So my N=1 would say they’re fine maybe you were just unlucky.

1 Like

Sounds like you caught it on the bead to be honest, latex is much easier to be trapped, and it will inflate and unusual forces then trigger the bang. Partially inflate and then absolutely ensure it’s not caught.

3 Likes

Thanks gents. Yeah I guess I could have nipped the first tube putting it on.

I just deflated both, like Jim said, had a good old poke around, nothing seems to be trapped so reinflated to 100 PSI. Will leave overnight now & if still good in the morning will risk it :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Why are you running 100psi on latex tubes with 25mm tyres?

1 Like

Um… I don’t know? What’s a good pressure to run? It’s what I’m used to with butyl

3 Likes

Thanks for that. Says 93 PSI, which again helps me relax a little :+1:

1 Like

I used to run 140psi on my 23mm tubs :rofl:

1 Like

Hemel Hempsted TT cancelled because of temp lights and roadworks. Blimmen HS2 :sweat:

I’d guess they’ll take 20 years to complete HS2……

My first 25 tonight. Same course as the club 10, but 3 more laps. Slight advantage that you start on a descent rather than straight into the hill for the 10.

Target was an optimistic 1:05. Wind looked in the least favourable direction.

Ease into first lap, cap power on hills and try and hold it steady on the flat.
Came in under 1:04, so pleased with that.
223avg, 228np.
Particularly pleased with my pacing…

10 Likes

Almost opposite for me. I did the club 10, never planned to smash it but apparently did 280W which only got me 26:17!

I used the TT bike and for 20W more this time last year I was 2 minutes faster. But… I only had a thick (not very aero) merino jumper on standard helmet etc., wind was also blowing in probably the worst direction for that course. I’ve actually been faster on a road bike.

However, aim was to test the TT bike before Saturday so job done.

8 Likes

My hip/leg is a proper mess now. Hoping it’s just tightened right up and just needs releasing.

1 Like

The F11/10 next week closed on 21.37. not a chance sausage

1 Like