Tokyo ITU Event (Spoilers)

Pre Oly year, Buzz, i guess they are all buried heavily into training…

That said, this is a great opportunity for a mop athlete to win the series…

Agree with a lot of this.

On the subject of water quality, how can it vary so much day to day? Twice the e-coli limit on Friday yet OK on Thursday and Saturday? Changing the race to duathlon or shortening the run would be a huge own goal for the ‘Olympic’ sport, with plenty of people already saying they wouldn’t shorten Kona because of heat. There is an argument to say make it a sprint event now, so no danger of last minute changes (water quality aside) – that would be the death of the 1.5K/40K/10K event if it happened.

1 Like

I guess that depends on the water inflow and how the water in the bay moves around so you get different readings. and it’s been a general problem in the bay being used - something here from the Japan Times:

"Water quality at Odaiba Marine Park has been a big challenge for 2020 organizers, evoking criticism from several international sports bodies in the run-up to the Tokyo Games.

A number of concerns about the water were raised at last Sunday’s open water swimming test event, including a bad smell."

so, it seems it’s an ongoing issue and not confined to the triathlon - maybe Tokyo will take some corrective action before 2020 as the IOC and the city will not want to have to shorten or cancel races. and if you recall, similar concerns were raised over water quality for various events at Rio not least the famous green diving pool but all went ahead OK although I think there were some isolated cases of illness.

This seems to indicate that “triple screens” would be resolving this (from 2018)

Also, 30° water temp?!

you also have to remember that the tris in 2020 will be on 27th and 28th July and relays on 1st August so water temp should be cooler, and if they put more plans in place to improve water quality all should be OK. however if the water temp is close to 30C it shouldn’t cause the elite athletes too many problems over 1500m - they’ll be used to doing that and more in swimming pools which are often around 28C, and wetsuits are banned above 20C for open water anyway for elites

1 Like

If that’s the case I’d say it’s more from an entertainment point of view than heat concerns for tri, haven’t heard people try to shorten marathon to half. 10k swim has concerns following a death in 2010 with water temps in low 30s but slightly different being submerged in heat with less chance to take on fluids or employ cooling techniques.

marathons are usually quite early morning for the heat reason so maybe they’ll make the tri very early (if they already haven’t)

2021 Tokyo team announced as Vicky Holland, Georgia Taylor-Brown and Jess Lear month, plus JB for the men with one spot to be decided next year. I assume will be between AB and Yee for the 2nd men’s spot (assuming GB aren’t promoted to a 3rd).

Heard interviews in past where Johnny seemed to suggest he races for 2nd because can’t beat Ali. Surprised almost sounds same again today despite Ali’s lack of recent dominance/focus on ITU.
““I thought it was my time to be champion for a while … but I would love to be on the start line with Alistair”
Maybe misquoted/misreading it, but had same vibe in past in Ali’s glory days.

2 Likes

Piece on BBC sport site with Alex Yee. Seen how the athletes are training in hotel setups on trainers and treadmills to keep isolated. Sounds fun :hushed:

Races on BBC Red Button on Saturday.

3 Likes

I was going to post about that yesterday. Check Henri Schoeman’s stories on Instagram. It looks grim!

the same will happen at Leeds. all athletes and key support staff (including some TOs who will have closer contact with them during the event) will be in one hotel to maintain a bubble.

It’s not just that. It’s screens between treadmills. Treadmill and trainer workouts only. And then team bubbles only.

Oh I might watch that …

Start: 02:00 and 04:50 BST

… maybe not live!

What I am guessing will be the women’s race at 19:45 & then men’s 22:05 as well as the live races

1 Like

WT posted a load of photos from Yokohama on their FB page

its grim, the British swimming champs they were stuck in a hotel room for a eek before, full bubbles, food in room. Feel sorry for those at their first Olympics (if it goes ahead) as they will not get the full athlete village experience which is what that first trip is all about (hence why i think Alex should go over AB to gain vital experience as well as him having a better chance to medal on this course judging by AB’s run pace at end of last season)

What’s that then?
Having sexual intercourse with as many other countries as you can in two weeks?
Followed by a trip to the clap clinic?
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

10 Likes

triathlon live app, worth every penny of the annual fee (20Eur give or take) , great for turbo

2 Likes

pretty much :wink: no its just 1000’s of athletes together, parties after events, even the shared dining hall. They will be confined to barracks largely and wont be mixing at all.

2 Likes

So like Uni students who’ve also been utterly conned through all of this?

2 Likes