Tokyo ITU Event (Spoilers)

I agree on what we know of current form that Alex should go before Alistair. Unless Ali is flying at Leeds then maybe but I would be surprised if he did anything but smash the swim.and bike then fade on the run due to lack of fitness. A last hurrah in short course in front of a home crowd.

1 Like

I don’t know if that’s still the plan, but I think the intention was that athletes would fly in, do their events and fly out as soon after as possible to minimise their time there.

1 Like

Ali going is probably Johnny’s best chance - more chance of a swim split staying away on the bike. But can’t see Johnny winning as Luis will almost certainly make the front pack and can outrun everyone in it.

Have they given up on getting 3 spots? Heard it would require Bishop or Benson to travel the world picking up points so that someone else can get a spot at the Olympics. Not much fun unless your funding is linked to to in some way.

1 Like

Tim Heming wrote this in the latest Triathloning newsletter:

On current form I think it should be Alex & Alistair.

EDIT: My reasoning is that they are kind of inconsistent, they might podium under the right conditions or they might fall outside the top 10.

I see Johnny as more consistent, almost definitely inside top 10, but less likely to podium.

If that makes sense. So take the wild cards who have a 30% chance of a podium (and 50% chance outside top 10). Rather than someone guaranteed to get top 10, but 10% chance of podium

Well Jonny is already selected so I don’t think that will be the squad!

I get the “experience” point for Yee but if you are going there for medals JB & AB

If AB is fully fit (big if) you have to take him. Otherwise Alex Yee.

1 Like

Agree with all that, especially:

So from an armchair point of view, would be great to see him go. Without him I think the outcome is a lot more predictable.

I see Johnny as a top 5 finisher assuming he’s fit, eachway bet for the podium but slim chance of gold.
If British Tri really wanted the best chance for Yee they should pick 2 doms to pull him through the bike. Maybe that will be how it plays out in 2024.

The other curve ball is the relay. If only 2 spots and they take Ali then he has to run the relay. But surely Yee would get the nod if they had the choice. Given the strength on the women’s side, is the relay a better chance of another medal than the men’s race?

1 Like

That’s a good shout. You’d have to think of the three events the men’s race is the least chance of a medal :thinking:

Without looking up the rules, if Ali picks up an ‘injury’ in the men’s race, can they put in a sub for the relay?

yes, provided that a reserve has been declared in advance

1 Like

AB now off the start list for Lisbon too, doesn’t look good

Bishop could be pushing for the 3rd slot for himself then.

:grimacing:

i thought he’d been conspicuous in his absence of training footage on SB. Normally on his and JB there’w footage of the two of them runnig around a track together, and all of a sudden it dried up, but JB carried on.

I think AB’s Tokyo bid was always destined to end like this.

He had a small chance, I think, up to Daytona as I think the 2020 write off could have been a real chance to build base, clear all the niggles and maybe have a good 18 month block into it. But even that went wrong on the run (might have just been cramp though).

He didn’t help by still dithering between LC and Olympic distance. His chances were really dependent on commiting early and having a full uninterrupted build then maybe, just maybe he could have been in podium contention.

Still has a Kona start though, and actually longer/slower May be better for his body to hold together. If not he can enjoy another long walk with Lionel :joy::joy:

5 Likes

I will see if he is at the pool tomorrow morning and will ask him. I’m sure he won’t mind telling me, probably be happy for a bit of advice too :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Tell him to get onto IMJ

8 Likes

I will tell him to stop drinking Yorkshire tea and using OTE and get on the tailwind express

ETA: I always used to see the Leeds elites at the pool on a Friday mornings but with changes in school run and my work I stopped going. Jonny is a really nice, down to earth guy and just chats about tri like anyone else would.