Trail & Ultra Running Thread

Perhaps the snow will numb the sore toe !

When I’ve had nails fall off, it can be tender for a few days then eases off, so as long as there are no complications it should be ok for RttK. Might want to tape it up though.

Have a good one !

Cheers Doug, good call. I thought about some of those Injinji socks but I’ve never used them before. Bathing the foot in Epsom Salts which seems to help a fair bit.

I saw the physio yesterday re the hip, her husband is doing RttStones. Anyway, she reckons my hip flexor/glutes have switch off in a big way, possibly following my fall. Preatty weak on the left side. lots of strengthening work prescribed, probably too late for King but might be in better shape for Stones.

I LOVE INJINJI!!

They’re great socks in my opinion, and always first on my list in all of my ultras!

Yeah I think they are next on my hit list mate, just never used them before. I seem to alternate between the Hilly Ultra Mono and the Hilly Twin Skin (latter can get hot in summer).

For faster road stuff, I tend to use 1000 Mile More but not for anything over 20km.

I use the same socks as you for running.
2XU anklets and compression socks for Tri training stuff.

So…those INJINJI socks are like the five fingers shoes? But socks…what are they worth over 5km :rofl:

I wore the compesssport racing socks v3 ultralight at the Lakesman for both bike and run. Slightly nervous before as they’re so thin, almost like tights. I’d recommend them, never had such a comfortable run…and I was out there a while longer than planned!

uggh, tomorrow seems very close now!

Mere hours some may say…

Good luck! How are the various ailments?

Thanks. Knee is much better, my allergy has settled (kicked off last night but ok again today). My hip is a worry, it’s not painful now but it’s on my mind about when it will let go.
The toe is fine :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Go go @FatPom - hope everything holds up for you

Cheers poet. The hip let go just 25kms in so a lot more walking than planned. Got it done though. 13:49:01

3 Likes

Nice one FP!

Nice one FP - recover well and hope the hip gets sorted

Cheers guys. It was not an easy day by any means. Today’s weather would have been better. I think so far I’m 25/70 in AG but some non stoppers were still coming a couple of hours ago!

2 Likes

Well done FP, hopefully no damage done to the hip.

Jeff

Top bombing FP

Thanks guys. I will make another hip assessment over the next week and make decision on RttStones. Man that was hard! Kudos to guys that can go longer than 100km!

Let me know if this against the ethos in this thread as I do have a, sort of, investment. The organiser is a good friend.

But if anyone is looking for an ultra next year, watch this and come back to me with a good reason why you wouldn’t want to run that route?! :joy:

And there’s even a version with an extra surprise few miles coming next year!

That does look very good GB. I still can’t get my head round running trails at night.

1 Like

That’s (almost) the best bit. I love the nighttime sections. That’s where the sufferfest gets real, and that’s kind of the reason why i like ultras. Just for the pure love of suffering. Lucky really, as there won’t be much sunlight at my next one in December! haha

I’ve just seen a new event pop up locally that i’m interested in, with a few team mates. Apparently taken from some Canadian race.

It’s a 6.5km undulating trail loop around Dartington estate. You have 1 hr to complete the loop, before you start on the next one. Keep going until there’s only one person left standing. Though the organiser only briefly refers to headtorches and night time running in their intro … i don’t think they’ve fully done their research on what sort of distances people may be able to cover! A good bunch of my crew (myself included) would all expect to be hitting 24hrs or even beyond! Though they do have a get out clause where they reserve the right to ‘squeeze’ things if the pack isn’t diminishing. So i guess they’ll start chipping off the hour per lap time when they start getting bored!

It’s only £25 though, which is quite refreshing!