Trail & Ultra Running Thread

Anyone else here doing the Cotswold Way Challenge tomorrow? UTMB points available :grin: I will be supporting my wife. Goes right past our house!

Swinging by the LBS later to get a cardboard bike box to make some signs for encouragement :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

It’s not the running at night, or the suffering, I think it’s thought of twisting ankles and not seeing holes that scares me (and getting lost :grin: )

Well I had a real blast yesterday. We set up a hose, water container & couple of buckets of sponges outside the house. We were the most popular people in the Cotswolds yesterday!! People were really grateful as the official stations were every 10k, and very few shops en route. It was 35 in the sun outside the house. I’m glad we’re not on a water meter :yum:

Had some 80s radio on, signs up and chalk in the road. When Glen Frey’s ‘Heat is on’ came on, it was awesome :rofl::rofl: Enjoyed it so much.

Of course, this now has me thinking, given I have no intention of doing an Ironman next year…

4 Likes

CSW Coast to Coast mate. Starts in Wembury… pretty much home for you isn’t it?!

You know you want to!

Ha. Being ex forces I was checking out everyone’s ‘assault’ vests, and have already been on Google. Feck I’m doomed. That said, there won’t be much zeal for me doing trail ultras… outside of going for the Cotswold Full 100 in a single hit. That would defo be on the approved list.

Really impressed with Mrs ‘O’ (well H really), 50k in that heat with limited trail running experience and a max run of 20k in training :ok_hand: I’ve already put her medal above the Aga alongside my clay Cotswold 226 medallion :hugs: They are the only sports memoribilia anywhere in the house.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s very impressive! Does she want to do another after the experience, or was it a tick box local event?

I don’t think i could get my head around doing a non trail ultra personally. Th legs would not be happy with all that road and/or laps.

Do any of you run with the lightweight shoe gaiter thingies?

At Race to the King I had to stop a few times for grit in my shoes, quite a few had the gaiters on. Keen to try for Race to the Stones.

Nope, never had need for them. I also can’t get over the fact that I’d be just like a hiker with them! :joy:

:+1:

What are the best vests, is it individual? I like the look of the UD ones. I think I’d want a mesh back one with soft bottles on the front, if the weather was going to be warm.

It strikes me with events like the Cotswold, that you can have various equipment strategies if the race passed your house at 30k and there’s a left baggage/support crew opportunity at half way.

Yep, as with most it’s all about fit. As i’ve mentioned on here previously i love the Osprey Duro. I’ve tried the Salomon one, and that’s great as well (but was literally double the price, so no contest for me, plus i have a bunch of other Osprey packs that i really like).

And yes, lots of things will determine your strategy. Lots of races will allow you to send a drop bag half way or so for you to top up your stuff. Heat obviously messes things up as will very inclement weather. Mandatory kit will also have a bearing on pack size - milder summer/non technical runs won’t have much on the kit list, gnarly winter ones obviously are going to require more of a pack-horse type situation.

I’ve tried multiple shoe changes (via a support crew) and single socks and shoes the whole way through. No right or wrong, but having options is always the best thing for an ultra (support crew, drop bags, houses being en route etc). I’d rather have access to a whole bunch of ‘stuff’ and not need it than be wishing i brought an extra pair of socks for example.

Also, look at how much space is in the front of the pack/is accessible without taking the pack off for food especially. A few mates and i were sharing a common experience recently, whereby we’ve all carried food around for a whole 24hrs +, but because it was in the main zipped part at the back of the pack we didn’t touch it. That’s despite it being something very appealing. When the cloudiness of exertion and lack of sleep descends on your brain you begin to make poor decisions (though i am sure a man of your rank @Jorgan Jorgan would never be susceptible to such weak mindedness).

Take a look at the soft flasks as well. Some are much easier to refill than others - though really only a problem if you’re doing something like a fast 50km where time really is of the essence - but look at the size of the opening once you take a lid off. On longer races it doesn’t really matter as much; other than poor hand eye coordination when you’re shattered!

I have the Salomon Sense Ultra 5 (or summat like that, who thinks of the names!). I really like it, very easy access to the side pockets and the lower pocket at the rear. I can’t reach in and out of the main pocket at the back unless what I want is at the top (like a hat).

The soft bottles are great and easy to load as they are torpedo shaped. The whole vest moves with you and is very easy to adjust on the fly, which can be important as you pack size changes of the course of a long day.

Having said that, I got this thing for £70 which was half price! It’s a good buy for £70 buy laughingly expensive at £140 and not worth that IMO. It’s a couple of months ols and has had to have some stitching reinforced in one area.

I would like to try the UD type with the straws coming out of the bottles. With my Salomon vest, drinking the full bottle can be a bit of a neck stretch when getting to the last third, especially when you’re tired.

I’m a trail and ultra novice but for winter I reckon you’d need more of a closed pack type of bag. i have bought the OMM Ultra 20 which should be be good for winter running but i primarily bought it for mtbing. It is very light but you can get an additional ‘pod’ that clips on and increases capacity.

Yes, ref accessibility to kit/food - I do think brands are missing a trick by not having some (small) pockets on the side of the waist section too (or did I miss them?). Even if it’s for gels/bars or a small map/compass or whatever, the ability to get it without taking the vest off is a definite plus. It looks like the UD 4.0 Race can just about be accessed at the rear using the side zips. That’s a fair weather vest though for sure.

My wife changed socks at the house and I think that made a big difference for her, especially after all the cooling water at our rest stop! She didn’t get any blisters, and ran in Hoka road shoes (it was very dry!).

Jorgan, the side pockets are great but two things to bear in mind. Some vests have side pockets but then have fastening straps that run right over the top of them (dumb!) and depending on body shape., if you stuff them too much, they can hinder your arm swing.

I haven’t tried one but for cheap and cheerful, check out the Aonijie (sp) brand on Amazon, they get good reviews.
Also, Clare Maxted’s channel ‘Wild Ginger Running’ has a ton of vest reviews and a lot are women specific (for Mrs O).

Yep, echo FPs thoughts there. I have side pockets below my water bottles, and then two wrap around style pockets that i can access with the pack on (though it isn’t quite as big as the salomon one).

Anyone used the Nike Wildhorse, quite like the look of them. Sister-in-Law has them for dog walking!

Not tried them in person, but if i recall they’re a trail ‘lite’ shoe i.e. good for paths and trails, not so much for broken, open, wet, muddy etc.

So they’d probs be fine in this weather!

Probably ideal around here then.

Review here. he talks very very fast!

I DNF’d Race to the Stones today. Took a huge tumble at 18km in. Smashed my knee, wrists and buggered my already damaged hip.

I hung on until 55km but the pain was unbearable and I was reduced a severe limp and almost zero progress.:-1: