Trainerroad for Ironman Plan?

Does anyone here use Trainerroad?

Have you used their Full Distance Tri plan?

I was just wondering if it was worth the cost. I was thinking about using it over the winter months for Ironman Lanzarote 2020.

At the minute I use Zwift but just for those crappy days outside. I thought The structured plan of TR might be good.

Cheers!

I dont but also interested in the answers.

When I trained for Lanza last year I did all the rises outside as I cant stand the turbo. It was miserable. I had to stop once to change my soaked gloves and stood there with my hands in my arm pits trying to get the feeling back in my fingers. Think for 2020 I need a better home setup.

1 Like

I think the issue with indoor training is the attrition caused by weather and gravity. If you’re going to do Florida or Barcelona, fine. But for something like Lanza, there’s not the physically & mentally debilitating effect of the hills & wind.

1 Like

Yes this is true. Last year I spent ages planning the hilliest and most exposed routes I could. Covered pretty much the entire Chilterns / Dunstable downs.

Had to replicate the long drags of Lanza though, all I have nearby are short sharp shocks.

1 Like

Yes, and I’ve got a quite long running thread over on the TR forums if you’re interested. “Ironman in 2019”, we’ve got about fifty people doing IM this year.

I’ve used them for a few years and still am, I think they’re pretty good. Of course you have to be consistent to benefit from any training which is my problem, but they’re now much more flexible and you can move sessions around in the Calendar if life gets in the way.

Indoors is perfect for winter training, but this season I’ve struggled with the long rides on the trainer. They’ve adapted these to Outdoor versions which you can opt in to, which is fine now the weather is better but it’s just guidance notes at the moment. They’ve got some other stuff like interaction with garmin on the cards too.

The early days can be frustrating until you have the kit set up properly, fans, towels, drinks ( tv, WiFi if you want it)

I’ve used it for the last three years. Initially did their 40km TT plan as I was focusing on going under the hour back on 2016. When I was training for the Outlaw in 2017 also used the IM plan and have been for IMCH this year. I really like it. I like the structure and that I don’t have to think too much. TBH I dip in and out of the swim sets and running I do my own sessions.

Do I think it’s worth it? Well, it works for me and I think it’s pretty good value. I’ve now also got a bank of favourite sessions that I do when I know I want a particular type of session. The main drawback I find is the sheer volume of some of their plans. I’ve never done any of the high volume ones as I just can’t recover enough.

1 Like

Should also add I’ve never done over 2.5hrs on the turbo so I’ve never done their really long turbo sessions. I’d rather freeze outside.

1 Like

I’ve done four hour WattBike session as;

50-55minutes bike
5-10minutes treadmill

That (DOES NOT) break the monotony

1 Like

I’ve done 4hrs on zwift. It was when had a bad shoulder so no option but even with a distraction it was grim.

1 Like