Training outdoors in winter: yes or no

Now I have a treadmill and a turbo set up at home, I’m getting increasingly soft about going outside in the wet/cold/mud/dark/wind with no telly to look at.

Anyone else?

Training outside when it’s minging: yes or no?

1 Like

Frost and ice equals turbo for me. Anything else is just an equipment issue.

2 Likes

I always used to be OK going out for a run in minging weather - cold, wet, windy didn’t bother me but probably 30 years of cold wet muddy rugby pitches gave me that edge - but I hated road cycling in shite weather apart from sunny, cold and windless conditions, unless it was banging around on a MTB which is a more preferable way to ride in winter.

these days I stay indoors and use the rower or turbo

3 Likes

I run outside in every weather, but yep for cycling on the turbo.

3 Likes

Turbo during the week before starting work, prefer to get out at weekends but not if there’s any chance of frost or ice. I’m not taking any risks.

Pretty much run in all weathers apart from icy. We get sheet ice a few times every winter which makes walking impossible let alone running.

2 Likes

Just did parkrun and oh my god, I’ve never been in so much pain, the snow and wind completely froze my face. Very nearly sacked it off after 1km but conditions improved (wind dropped) until I then started the second lap :roll_eyes:

Need to get a buff or something.

The hot shower afterwards was almost as painful!

4 Likes

Yes. Anything.
Unless I CBA.

2 Likes

Cycling, now I’m not commuting at all I won’t bother unless it’s above 4 or 5C and dry, really CBA getting cold and/or wet anymore, especially now that the turbo is more interesting than it was all those years ago pre-zwift.

Running, whatever the weather I’ll be out there

4 Likes

Yeah I’m happy out in the winter. Probs would avoid riding on my own if it’s not great, as I’m happy on the turbo. But if happily go out with a mate/s.

Running is fine though. Weather conditions don’t bother me at all.

3 Likes

Turned into a complete wimp with the cycling outdoors recently, do still go out if it’s dry and >8c, CBA with windy slogs.

Rarely run indoors unless I’m short on time or it’s really bad, I won’t go out if it’s raining or arrange around it, or if the wind is like today. But there’s routes that I can get some shelter from it.

3 Likes

I seem happy to commute in the cold. But CBA to do a training ride in it.

Having spent the last few weeks trying to get running again on the treadmill, seeing the wind, sleet and snow kinda inspired me to get out for my short rehab run. Hoping all the going off would stop me thinking about my niggles. Mostly worked.

3 Likes

You dressed like this:

In snow and gale force winds.

I was wearing tights + shorts, liner socks, merino socks, base layer, 3 layers of merino, fleece layer, rain jacket, 2 neck buffs, 1 ear buff, hat. To be fair though, you did beat me. Mind you after running the first 2km with the 20min pacer I then slacked off up the hill with the tailwind as I was too hot to run fast, same at the end when you caught me.

5 Likes

:joy: the body language does not suggest the experience was pure sensual pleasure

3 Likes

That was before the start, the snow only restarted about 5minutes after that!

2 Likes

Where’s the vest, it’s a race. That’s all I’m thinking!

6 Likes

What seriously? It’s not just your kitchen lights that are wired differently

5 Likes

Our treadmill has been idle for several years; it’s just not the same as running outside. Should sell it really.

1 Like

Summer down here :wink:

6 Likes

Answer is ‘sometimes’ for me but less and less on the road bike

2 Likes

I am happy going out in bad weather unless it’s dangerous. I quite like those really cold, crisp winter days for a run or ride. Used to commute all year, again except when really strong winds or ice made it too dangerous IMO but that was rare.

I nearly was hit by a huge branch that broke off a tree a couple of years ago. It was really windy but in the woods it was alright. As I crossed a road through the woods, I paused for a couple of seconds to choose a path. Set off and as I was ~2 meters from re-entering the woods I heard a huge crack then it landed just in front me. :scream:. Properly :poop: me up.

4 Likes