Training outdoors in winter: yes or no

bit like this lucky lady

2 Likes

Once running the shorts and single layer top seemed fine. Wasn’t ideal waiting round at the start in them though especiallly when they started almost 10 mins late! But my face, the pain! Perhaps if my face wasn’t so cold then I would have felt the cold more elsewhere :joy:

Gloves just about held out but were wet and not doing much by the end. They were my cycling inner gloves rather then the running ones I’d intended to grab.

2 Likes

Wow. Not quite that big. The whole thing was surprising. The crack as it broke off was loud but it was difficult to know what it was at that exact second. The branch sort of fell vertically, as in it was nearly upright on the thick end. It fell on the path directly in front of me. I would have thought it would have just fell more horizontally than it did. If I hadn’t paused it probably would have landed like that on me.

But surely if she didn’t smoke, then she wouldn’t have been outside under the tree, she’d have been inside working or whatever.

So the cigarette almost cost her her life (for more than one reason) not the other way around! :joy:

6 Likes

errm - I didn’t write the article… :grinning:

2 Likes

I love training outside in shit weather.

No such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing choices. *

*obvs is its dangerously bad or icy I won’t do it

1 Like

Earlier I saw a guy on what looked like a solid black P3, kitted out head-to-toe solid black. No lights. It was just after 4pm :man_facepalming:

7 Likes

I was out cycling once and saw something similar. I say saw. I saw him right at the last minute. A car travelling faster would have no hope of seeing him.

1 Like

No car travels faster than a solid black P3 in stealth mode

8 Likes

Having said I hate the cold, my family have been trying to kill me today. This morning wife wanted a run in the sleet, then this afternoon to go for a walk in the mud, and then thus evening my son insisted on going out on the bridleways on MTBs with lights. Included a ridge I swear nearly got blown off twice. Google says feels like -3C. Dont they understand this is what Zwift is for? Meanwhile some guy I follow on Strava has just posted his swim in Antigua. 29C. Feels like 31C. Now THATs how you do it. Posted “Hate you” on his Strava, he’ll probably block me.

This picture doesn’t convey how strong the wind was or how cold it felt

Now sitting by this guy to warm up.

Meanwhile

10 Likes

I can do runs on cold crisp days, but hate this kind of weather, need to move south towards the equator from November to April.

2 Likes

You’re so Nesh Jeff :rofl:

1 Like

I had to look that one up, but can’t disagree.

4 Likes

Apparently a northern expression. I learned it off R4 this week!

3 Likes

I quite like getting out in shit weather.

However the call of the turbo is strong now and does save a lot of faff cleaning a grotty bike.

I don’t mind the cold or wind but biking in the wet just gets me down!

4 Likes

Run in all weather but I’m firmly sticking to the turbo in all weathers until March when it’s back to club TTs and races

5 Likes

I’ve said that on here more than a few times!
Mainly to @mw22 - it’s more a Midlands word than Northern.

Anyways, it’s minus three here and no frost or ice.
So I’m off out for a few hours when my eggs have digested (and I’ve painted a bit more of the basement)

1 Like

I’m in my kit now. And it’s chilly enough in my kitchen.

Thing is, I run so hot. So I’ll be cold/comfy at the start of the ride but then I’ll be sweating!

1 degree here, no snow and ice and stuff. But minus 3 or 4 with windchill apparently. Face and ears will be cold. Only a couple of hours ride.

Sunrise should be nice though.

3 Likes

Well, looks like The Cat is still closed :rofl::cold_face:

(Link is a webcam, there’s meant to be a main road there)

https://www.maccinfo.com/cat/

4 Likes

Planned on an easy Windsor loop with the lads this morning. Like elsewhere cold af but a beaut of a morning.

Kids had other ideas; demanding breakfast, one needed a poo. Bye bye ride…

Kiss base ride at 9 it is then

5 Likes