Training Peaks - Worth it?

I’ll wait and see. I had v.3 but lost the license key and then couldn’t be bothered upgrading to 4 as again there was lots of whining. But software is usually quite ‘buggy’ when it’s first released. I agree about CTL as it was designed for cycling (iirc) and then there’s also the linear aspect to it and fitness isn’t just TSS in fitness out.

Basic concept was not designed for cycling - Swimming IIRC, certainly WKO came out of cycling and moving to a power based to overcome one of the limitations of the originally described HR based effort which did badly for intermittent exercise.

That’s still one the main problems with WKO is not the fitness model, but the inability to measure load, as evidenced by the fact they changed swim TSS between 4 and 5 - and running has a random 10% multiplier, and ignores road surface or if you’re wearing 4%'s

WKO has always counted rest - it’s a problem with café runs, and leads to Coggan etc. being very prescriptive about how you record your sessions, which sort of works well for the pro or USAian who spends 5 minutes getting to open roads and then does consistent efforts with few breaks, but doesn’t work so well with endless stopping at lights etc.

The biggest problem with multisport is the lack of specificity in the training, the model only reflects the fitness in the thing you train, so combinations don’t necessarily work.

2 Likes

Has anyone purchaced a training plan on TP. Was looking at 70.3 for next year and there are loads to choose from.
I dont even have TP yet, but i’ll have a go with it as I currently only use Strava to track my training.

I’m using a IM one from Myprocoach. Very impressed with it. Lots of detail and you can contact them with questions. Also includes s/c with videos
The workouts sync to my Garmin so everything is on there If I need to use it that way.

1 Like

Just created a TP account and synced garmin to it. I’ve always added swims manually to garmin rather than wear a watch, any way to sync these manual activities?

I have a subscription to TP. Used the British Cycling Link. I quite like it actually.

I also bought WKO as I am a bit of a data geek. However, the Graphs look better on TP. I would love to mess around with the formulas at some point and justify the expense but have no time at the moment. If you are going to be receiving online coaching then TP or some equivalent is really useful.

Yeah offered online coaching for next year is why I’ve gone for it. Complete newb to the idea of TSS etc but will be getting aquantinted to be able to train myself with their help, rather than just follow blindly. Appreciate their expertise and know will help but the self-coaching is big part of the fun for me.

1 Like

30 days premium: 2020RouvyTP

If you are already subscribed

Settings >
Manage Your Subscription >
change subscription >
Buy the same plan >
Apply the code > no charge.

You’re welcome

Lets me know I’m Z2 or under 81% of the time :slight_smile:

Just to be clear, if you’re already an annual subscriber, what would this do (if anything)? Bump your expiry date back by a year? I’ll maybe just wait until I expire, and then add the code for a free month at that point. Looks a fairly generic code intended for the entirety of 2020!

Yeah, just a free month - gets you hooked innit :wink:

So, does it extend our 12-month subscription to 13, with a free month then?

Dunno, mine lapsed, so I’ve added a premium month.

I’ve added events to my calendar but it doesn’t show up in my ATP - anyone know if I can sync them?

The ATP works arse about face I think/ You have to create a new ATP, add your phases and A,B,C races in and then it adds those to the calendar. Its a bit rubbish. You’d think that it being based on Friels bible and the ATP being a major part of that it would work a bit better.

I was able to sync them by clicking the cog in ATP and save/re-calculate. Just having a playaround with it. It’s nice to be able to visualise the session ahead.

Been using for 2-3 weeks now, starting to like it, can see how its worth it if used properly to monitor TSS. Swam with watch on for first time this morning to try and have more accurate data so todays question is how does TP auto-calculate zones?

Bike and run zones feel accurate, but swim zones threshold pace seems slow (slower than IM pace), and the zones are far too wide making Z2 far far too slow.

Is that because its using past performances, and I’ve always manually entered total time including rests?

I’d never actually looked at the zones before, I’d just entered a rough CSS and assumed it would auto-calculate something sensible, but I now see what you mean. Z2 is ridiculously slow. (1:55 to 2:02/100, which is so slow it’s almost not swimming when I can do a 2k continuous swim at around 1:35/100)

If I select some of the other options, they seem to give something a bit more sensible, but they all seem a bit slow at the easier end, and not exactly fast at the harder end. Our club coach defines 4 paces … easy, cruise, tempo, fast, where cruise is HIM to IM pace, tempo is 1k to 1.5k pace, and then easy needs to be 4-5s/100 slower than cruise and fast should be possible to go at least 5s/100 quicker than tempo.

None of the TP options seems to correlate with any of those.

Interested to hear what other people are using as their swim zones settings for swim related TSS

:pensive:

3 Likes

I meant relatively compared to the entered CSS!