Training - What Training?!

24 hours in 2 weeks
Several test hours at set rates.
Bike disappointing
Run ok
Swim encouraging, especially DPS.
One ride outside dodging the puddles, a few kg heavier, not in a bad place.
All about 2020 now.

4 Likes

Either you came from the very back, or grupetto doesnt mean what you think it means.

My shoulder is still dodgy, managed to jerk it yesterday on the bike and it bloody hurt, going to have to get it looked at soon, but trying the gym first to strengthen it. So no swimming as a result.

Also think Iā€™ve been fighting a cold that my immune system seems to be winning one minute then losing.

2 steady bike rides, actually enjoyed my ride yesterday without any wind and just actually riding the bike because I enjoy it.

4 runs, including a 19:22 parkrun yesterday and 19k over the moors in the wind and rain today, that was a lot better than it sounds :slight_smile:

Manchester half next Sunday, so will train up to Thursday then look to have a couple of easy days.

Jeff

5 Likes

Anyone else follow this? ( to the letter or otherwise )

Ah youā€™re right, misused the term. I actually worked my way up to the second group on the road. The start was nuts, and a lot of people came back to me after starting too fast.

Thatā€™s what I figured you meant. When you spend as much time in the grupetto as I do, you donā€™t forget the term. :rofl:

I was just looking at some stuff in Garmin. In the past 12 months Iā€™ve only swam 11.8km. Used to regularly cover that in a week. :rofl:

Have still covered 2500km on the bike though thanks to the commute.

Foot finally seems to be settling down so an hour turbo Friday, 30 mile bike yesterday and a gentle hour jog today. Good to be out in the fresh air againā€¦albeit I was dodging the puddles today.

Quite enjoyed a couple of weeks off but the scales are starting to groan.

4 Likes

1 Swim - 2300m
4 Bikes - (1 Brick & 1 MTB) - 110km +3 days commuting (33km)
3 Runs (1 Brick) - 19km
1 S&C - first of the winter
Really enjoyed taking the MTB out for a change. I always say I should do it more but never do. Only an out & back along the canal but the surface was quite variable (and very wet) so had to concentrate which does pass the time well.

2 Likes

What more could you want on a wet Monday morning? A puncture :smirk:

bacon

3 Likes

According to my brother, if youā€™re ever hungover, one rasher of bacon cancels each unit of alcohol consumed.
He has zero knowledge on punctures, though.

@Jorgan - What tyres? :wink:
Not Pro One or Conti 5000s, I hopeā€¦

2 Likes

Was anyone else at the National 6-stage relay champs over the weekend? I noticed Sophie Coldwell was there and had a quick chat with her before she smashed her run.

It was a 5.88km leg for the run, but pretty sizeable climbs and a strong headwind, probably ended up around 10km pace overall

1 Like

Schwalbe Lugano 28s; only had them on a few weeks. Wasnā€™t much more than 5 mins into my ride. Undoubtedly a piece of flint or glass. Must remember to put more air in the back tyre before home time, with my crappy mini pump! Iā€™ll stick my Lezyne mini pump with hose in my pannier from now on; only normally carry the cheapo one as it fits in my spares canister.

With nothing in the book for 2019 now Iā€™m taking October off. Will do a bit of swim/bike/run. Introduce some core work. Maybe a couple of Parkruns if I can squeeze them in. Time to rest and charge the batteries

5 Likes

Bad times!
Decent tyre them, if not a bit slippery in the wet (I found) - but they last a long time for ~Ā£15 per tyre.

I snaffled myself a pair of Vittoria Rubino Pro Endurance G+ Folding Graphene Tyre, which are pretty damn amazing!

Been out to bike sheds to pump it up, and in the absence of roadside palaver, noticed my furious pumping had loosened the thread on the pump body - which is why it wasnā€™t putting much air in :roll_eyes:

Iā€™m not a fan of Matt Fitzgerald. It stems from his being a blogger and trying to prepare to qualify for Boston marathon but constantly breaking down, all the while writing blogs and articles on how runners should train.

As far as 80/20 goes I think it makes sense on the whole but not necessarily all year round. I have listened a lot to Seiler though and like his outlook on what the data says. I do think thereā€™s a tendency for weekend warriors to do way too much moderately hard stuff.

2 Likes

I think I have got passed my end of season mini-implosion. Keeping CTL around 95, which feels pretty easy

Planning a big ride on Saturday, not many weekends left to cycle the mountain passes before snow closes them for 8 months

1 Like

Smashing out some midweek lunch rides:

ā€¦a massive 26.7kmh for 91km on the winter grinder. NP was 211W.
Iā€™d be close to 34kmh on the TT bike for that :sob:

2 Likes