Training - What Training?!

1km swim / 1km drills / 1km P&P

2 hours on Zwift

6 Likes

Lunch ride in the hills. Tailwind to the top, followed by a scary crosswind for the next 10k! Normal loops takes 55 mins, wind added nearly 10 mins onto it!

A couple of motorbikes whizzed past me, does crosswind hinder them as well?

6 Likes

5km treadmill run this morning, 1.5% incline, 13 kph.

5 Likes

Ran 15km at 4:18 this morning in the rain, perhaps a bit much when I was doing a chaingang in the eveningā€¦ but the rain made me thing I wasnā€™tā€¦ Sun came out though, soā€¦ And probably one for the sleep score thread, but Iā€™m not a human so I canā€™t find out my score there, but about half way around I was totally yawning and falling asleep, the 6am wake ups are taking a toll, I actually sat up from the group about 10 minutes from the final climb to have something to eat 'cos I wasnā€™t really concentrating, but they didnā€™t pull away, obviously everyone saving themselves for the climb or something. Turned in about 5 seconds behind them, and passed all but 2 up the climb, but that really shows how easy most of the ride was I think - the majority of the ride being into a headwind obviously a big part of that.

11 Likes

13 Likes

Whatā€™s the next race @FatPom ? Youā€™re putting in some big shifts

Endure 24 on June 18th. Iā€™m aiming to stay on my feet for longer than 19hrs and 70miles I did last year. I have 85miles as a target but with the motorhome and family, itā€™s just a mega fun weekend really.

The real question mark for me is that I have an entry for The Plague in Cornwall on July 16th and thatā€™s a 105km trail race that starts at 12.05am. Itā€™s run by Mud Crew and is a qualifier for Arc of Attrition 100 which is a race I desperately want to at least have a shot at. The cut offs at Plague are extremely tight in the first half though and I fear Iā€™m simply too slow these days.

In between those two is the Serpent Trail 50km which I havenā€™t entered yet, undecided but itā€™s semi local with a 45 min drive.

Then Iā€™m looking at some redemption at North Coast 110km in Oct but Iā€™ll see how summer goes. Iā€™m getting to find the sweet spot for me between volume and injury and seems to be between 80-90km p/w max. Very low for ultras but we do what we can.

What Iā€™m desperately missing is vert training, need to address that.

10 Likes

5km pull and paddles

6 Likes

Pyramid of Easy for me today.
Nobody to draft, so all alone.

25, 25, 25, 25, 50, 100, 200, 300, 400, 300, 200, 100, 50

Adding and removing toys as I went.

Still getting used to the feel of the water here.

100 paddles

200 pull

300 pull and paddles

400 flippers

25s and 50s non-fc

2 Likes

Iā€™d say the Plague course is probably a bit more bumpy than the Arc from memory. More constant ups and downs. Beautiful section of coast though. We were camping on part of the course last year.

1 Like

Ok, a general training question.

Iā€™m going to be a big brave boy and have booked in for a swim tonight. Itā€™s at 8.45, which in my world may as well be flippin midnight. Itā€™s cost me Ā£5.80 (WTF) so i have to go now.

As many of you will no, i ainā€™t no swimmer. My training over the last few years has been a few sea swims. Get out, swim, come in.

Wondering whether or not i should do something a little more structured or not? Iā€™m not going to be programming in a pool swim every week or anything. So anything longer term focussed is probably going to be a bit pointless.

Shall I just crack on with a 2k plod, or do some ā€˜fasterā€™ stuff*.

*I am the very definition of a one paced swimmer. Not even sure i own a ā€˜fasterā€™

5 Likes

Swimming in a pool, or a lake?

Youā€™re not going to get any benefit from a single swim.
So do what you fancy.

40 x 50m off 60s would look good on Strava.

Pool. Donā€™t actually have any lakes around here for swimming. But we obvs have the sea.

I dontā€™ think any swimming i do would look good on strava! haha. My watch is only a forerunner 245 as well, so it will have absolutely zero clue what iā€™m up to.

Oh and i highly doubt i could do one 50 in 60 seconds.

2 Likes

In that case, Iā€™d probably do some heads up breaststroke with your feet dragging along the floor in the fast Lane :+1:t3:

Thatā€™s the stroke of choice in these parts.

9 Likes

:rofl: :clap:

Iā€™m no natural swimmer and canā€™t bash out huge set after set like funkster has above but I really like having variety in a session.

Pyramids are great, especially if you can get a 400 in the middle.

I also like to alternate between 50s, 100s and 200s and go hard on the 50s - like poet said get some good, flattering speed on Strava :rofl:

2 Likes

As @Adam says, vary it. Go in with a plan in your head - the pyramid would be good - & concentrate on one or two aspects of your stroke, any more would get confusing.

2 Likes

Iā€™m a better sea swimmer than pool swimmer for obvious reasons. I used to swim in the pool 2 x p/w for 40mins, sometimes drill but my technique was rubbish really. My IM times were always 1.20 ish.

With a young family and new job coming, you can burn a lot of time in pool logistics to save a few mins in a race. If you are sticking to the sea, then I reckon one of the best uses of time is practicing sighting in different conditions.

Ok cool. And what about rest intervals between. Say i did 50, 100, 200, 400, 200, 100, 50 x 2

1 Like

Oh yeah iā€™m all over that. Iā€™m 100% confident in sighting and OW swimming. Like you Iā€™m a confident swimmer having lived by the sea my whole life, just a slow one. But the conditions are crap this week and a mate is going to the pool, so i said iā€™d join him.

All i really need is to get to my standard pace swim but be a little less knackered after it in July than i would be today! haha

3 Likes