Tri Battle Royale (18th July 21)

I reckon Jan should soft tap the swim, let Lionel lead then overtake him on the outside on the banking…

2 Likes

Yeah, then a water fight.

They need to go WWE with this.

Yeah sod the world record. Jan should just toy with the Lion like a cat with a mouse. Drop off the back, come back on. Get Lionel surging and digging, then just cruise past in the last km of the run. Backwards.

3 Likes

It is being sponsored by zwift after all, and we know they hate the concept of braking!

2 Likes

I’m going for the good for TV and sponsor angle. Jan letting Lionel draft on the swim, or just enough distance to be respectful, maybe a couple of minutes, then Lionel catches him on the bike after a huge effort, then back and forth with some ‘attacks’ and then a ‘battle’ on the run, before Jan pushes the pace in the last 20k of the run and drops Lionel for the win by 5 mins.

Banking looks fun though, should put that in more races along with some jumps and drop-offs. Extra bonus seconds for staying on the tri-bars and above 40kph. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

And who said Germans have no sense of humour?

2 Likes

And he takes Frodo’s advice here…

Loving the banter.

I’m no swim expert but you can really tell the difference in technique between LS and the top swimmers.

“the limiting factor is ability” welcome to my world :slight_smile:

Can you? I’m not seeing any huge problems in his swim footage anymore just lack of speed. I was looking for swim analysis of triathlete swimmers earlier today but didn’t find any on the Tube of You.

I’d suggest that his catch and kick aren’t as good as the pure swimmers. The video from above shows him wiggling around a bit with feet not very pointy and in the underwater shot it doesn’t look like he gets his catch in particularly early and has his arm too far underwater. From what I’ve seen of his training, he overcomes some of his technical deficiencies by training hard and being very strong.

He also has that choppier OW type stroke where his arms come out wider.

1 Like

Not messing

about the big lad…!

2 Likes

Yeah I noticed that, but I thought the “OW style” was a positive thing.

I can’t recall any of the IM guys kicking particularly cleanly but perhaps that’s just my dodgy memory

No idea what I’m looking at. It looks like a stapler holding his drinks straw?!

Oh…monobar. Wtaf. That looks like an eraser too. Styled by staples maybe.

1 Like

Isn’t Frodo going for a ‘record’?

Your looking at base bar, aero bar, bento, shifter, hydration and metrics in one “ mass “

I think he’s looking for as many watts as he. An get …!?

1 Like

Not going to fit many pork pies in there, if you ask me. Crazy man!

1 Like

He will have his nutrition nailed.

Sure he will get some “ help “ too.

Being a veggie I don’t get the obsession with pork pies and long cycling events, but I’d it works for you, that’s half the battle

1 Like

Oh absolutely not, can’t stand the things. More just a comment on the narrow gauge of his bento box.

1 Like

I get the impression that it’s a possible side effect, not the primary goal. I mean, if he is, its going to be terrible viewing.

I suppose it introduces the possibility of him blowing up…