Tubulars: Anyone Still Using Them? What’s the best option right now?

You’ve got removable cores with proper extenders?
Not just the little screw on ones, where the valve head is underneath the extender.

Also…pit stop ruins latex inners.

Some people do this in a race;
Duct tape a razor blade to the seat post
Slice the tub across (actual tears of a Yorkshire man here)
Take it off super easily with two hands - the left and right side, one each way
Put the Tufo spare on (they centre SO easily and if pre-stretched, go on easily)
CO2 that bad boy up
Like Limp Bizkit, get rolling

Also…of my 3 or 4 tub punctures these past twelve months, all have been the rear wheel. On the flat.
So I’m mightily pissed off.

Main reason for tubs is for front wheel descending flats and the ability to still roll a bit (think Holme Pierrepont final 3km)

Cheers mate. Yes, have the screw in valves in the tub valve. I read about carrying a scalpel blade and after spending 5 minutes trying to get a tub off today, I can see why. Will get a tufo tub on order for my spare. :+1:

Yes - if they’ve been taped on for ages, they’re a right pig to get off, as they seem to bed in.

Especially if you’ve used the old Jantex fabric tape.
Like @Jorgan mentioned above, the new RED backing tape (supposedly only for alloy rims. Pfft) is less tacky and easier to deal with

I’m close to pulling the trigger on the Corsa G+, as I’ve two weeks for them and the new chain to “bed in”

Method

Step 1. After stretching the tubular tire, apply one coat of Vittoria’s Matstik One glue to the rim and tire; let set for 24 hours. Thorne notes that thin coats of glue are key to good setup.

Step 2. Apply a second thin layer of glue to the rim and tire. Thorne then adds tubular tape to the rim, pressing it against the rim to smooth the tape out.

Step 3. Peel the backing off the tape, revealing the second adhesive side, and apply a thin layer of glue to this side of the tape and a third layer to the tire before mounting the tire to the rim.

Step 4. Inflate the tubular to 80 psi in order to make sure the tire is properly seated on the rim. Thorne then lowers the pressure to around 50 or 60 psi to let the glue cure.

1 Like

You want Mastic Pro for glue, or Jantex 76 tape. I’ve had my tubs stuck on carbon rims with 76 for the last 4 years, all weathers.

Managed to get the tub, two gas canisters, a small head for the canister, two tyre levers into the small XLab bag.

Pump, chain tool, spare links, Allen keys are on the caddy sack for the rear pocket of my skinsuit/jersey.

I’ll ditch the caddy sack come Race day - as if any of that breaks, the day is over :cry:

1 Like

Edit…

What sealant do you guys use? I got some for my tubeless, can I use that?

Never used sealant. If they have latex tubes you need to be selective, as some degrade it.

So if I puncture it’s a new tire? That does not compute for me.

You can use this with latex tubes. Don’t forget to use the affiliate link :wink:
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/effetto-mariposa-caffelatex-tyre-sealant-1000ml/

1 Like

After 4 years, it took about a minute per tyre to get them off with the Jantex alloy tape. Conveniently in this case it stayed Attached to the tyres.

Gators rule!

I’d forgotten how lost a skinny tyre looks on the Firecrest rim, but that’s the most aero apparently. I’ve put Loctite on the valve cores this time. The tubs are sat on top of the tape with the backing on at the moment; just debating whether to give the tape a blast with the hair dryer (backing tape on) to really get the take stuck to the rim before I stick the tyres on.

I also need to find something to put around rear valve stem, to stop it wiggling about in the disc recess. A shed load of electrical tape around the stem is one thought, unless I can get some kind of grommet.

Planet X seem to have some Vittoria tubulars coming in next week

Corsa CX III
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TBVICORCX/vittoria-corsa-cx-iii-isogrip-tubular-tyre

Corsa G+ :heart_eyes:
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TBVICG/vittoria-corsa-g-graphene-700c-tubular-tyre

2 Likes

Sausage skins…?!

These work very well: https://www.evanscycles.com/rrp-valveguard-EV243232
Electrical tape is a free option, but these work better

Anyone raced on the Corsa speed G2 tyre? Worth £85 a tyre?:thinking:

Ask @Jorgan - he has seen them in the flesh. “Condom thin” sidewalls, I believe were his words.

If you’re racing crits, then go for it.
If it’s for IM, then use the Corsa G+ I linked to (I reckon they’re v1.0, but still an amazing tyre)

Be warned, they are quite loud, due to the tread pattern.
But if you have Hunt wheels, you’ll be used to being deafened :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, I’d give the Corsa Speed a miss for Ironman; too risky. Fine for TTs when you can just have another crack two weeks later if you have an issue. They are basically track tyres with a road tread.

1 Like