Veloviewer tile bagging

Managed 3 outdoor rides over lockdown 2 and got from 7x7 to 12x12.

I’ve enjoyed planning the routes and just following my Garmin as I tend to stick to the same routes most of the time and this has made me venture to different areas.
Downside is I have had to use some main roads that I’d normally avoid as they’re the only ones in a particular square.

3 Likes

The villages a bit further east of Evesham get nice, as you are quickly into the edge of the Cotswolds. What my mum calls the old worcester road, which is what you seem to have taken to the outskirts of town, and then looped back, is not that great! But I wonder if this is part of the tile bagging mindset … tick off some extra tiles in the easiest way!

The villages north east of Pershore though are quite nice … did a couple of rides that way this summer when I headed home.

I really do need to stump up the £10 a see where I stack up on this!!

My MiL lives in Cropthorne and one of the lads I ride with from the Tri club lives in Bishampton so I keep saying I should go out that way more. I live west of the river so anything that direction means going through the City or round the bypass (neither of which is great) so I tend to stick to my side more often than not. There are some great routes this side so I never seem to bother going the other way.
ETA - the other alternative is to drive somewhere and park the car then ride form there but that feels like cheating.

1 Like

One of the squares I’ve still got missing is the one below. There are no roads running through it so I planned an out & back along the dead end at the bottom left. When I got there it was a farm track with gate part way up, which wasn’t far enough to get into the square. I now need to go back and try the one at the top left corner or go round the other side and try the one bottom right but if they’re all private drives I’m screwed.

1 Like

My aunt and uncle are in Charlton (my aunt worked at Cropthorne school for years), and I was a member at the Vale golf club in Bishampton for a time, so know all of those areas well!

1 Like

Are the dotted lines not public footpaths?

Yeah I think so, but trying to do it all on the bike if possible. Did think about driving over and going for a run around there as a last resort.

chuck the bike over the gate! :rofl:

1 Like

I’ve got a gravel bike on order for that reason!

1 Like

I’ve just signed up for VeloViewer on the back of reading this thread and I’m really enjoying it. I’ve only got 6x6 but 10x10 looks readily achievable with a bit of off road running or MTB’ing.

4 Likes

As JaRok said above, its biggest advantage is that it encourages you to go ride in new places that otherwise you’d miss… still waiting on my gravel bike, and then I should be able to get my max square up from 12x12

I‘ve got one pesky gap that might need me to trespass a little on an RAF base. Anyone know what exactly military prisons are like?

3 Likes

Gravel bikes are like hens’ teeth currently. Canyon is largely sold out of their Grail and I was looking at Giant’s mid and top range offerings in Shimano and ditto, zero stock until mid-‘21. Think I’ll just up the gearing on my old cross bike and hit those tiles. One advantage of being in Scotland: no law of trespass on foot/bike. So aside from airfields, military zones etc it’s go anywhere with consideration :slight_smile: