Watcha Listening To?

I honestly don’t know what that stands for ?

But it obviously is … the best album ever OBVIOUSLY behind New order Substance, your bigger than me, and fitter these days no doubt, but I will fight on this one !

OK Computer by Radiohead

I’m a runner, not a fighter :grin: :running_man:

1 Like

Football on five live. End of the season is always great drama

1 Like

I’m still torn about OK Computer 25 years later. Its brilliant, but is it as good as The Bends?

1 Like

I think some individual songs are better on The Bends but I like OKC in how all the songs combine for the concept and who doesn’t like a song that says:

A heart that’s full up like a landfill
A job that slowly kills you
Bruises that won’t heal

:+1::wink:

2 Likes

It’s not as good as A Moon Shaped Pool either.

I reckon people jumped on OK Computer as some kind of zeitgeist, just as the Internet was becoming A Thing in the collective consciousness.

It was an album of its time and people have a nostalgic view of it, connecting the songs to their memories of the time. (For me, it was GCSE time and I listened to that album a lot)

But, saying that, looking back at albums from 1997, not many of the ones I owned back then do I listen to now :man_facepalming:t4:

3 Likes

My most recent post on The Beer thread.

Treated my self To the vinyl reissue (had it on CD). Just a brilliant album.

9 Likes

Is that a really big beer, or is the record a long way away? (channeling Father Ted) :rofl:

8 Likes

Loving the Sam Ryder Eurovision song :rocket:

My awesome mixing on the ones and twos :headphones: fuck I’m good

Keep adding on to the end - a journey, nay a completely unnecessary anthology in the history of my recent discogs purchases lol

Realised I did a danny tenaglia - want to cross genres - just slow down the bpms slightly. Then it’s all just one big groove :sunglasses:

5hrs lol

1 Like

I hope it’s a good re issue and not some awful re press off a digital source. Some of these vinyl re issues are awful

Depressing walking around Fopp and seeing vacuum sealed garbage for £20 - 30 a pop

That’s called foreshortening - it’s been around since the Renaissance, Mantegna, Alberti etc

Yes it does make the LP look like a Lego tile doesn’t it :thinking:

1 Like

I missed this, very nice :+1:

Maybe some people jumped on it but most of the people I know that really appreciated it saw it as very seminal (and most of my cohort were Pink Floyd fans as well and the connection is obvious).

Pablo Honey was like a smack in the face for me, like ‘woah what was that’ and I simply wanted more, got more with The Bends but the difference between those two themes was vast and you can feel where the where needle was moving toward.

I was living on my own in Sydney, not too long after my marriage collapsed and at the time, I was in a literary club at Larry’s and we were reading and analysing Crime and Punishment.

My unit wasn’t exactly ‘rave central’ :joy:

3 Likes

R6 doing an OKC deep dive tomorrow.

1 Like

That’s called a cultural reference to Father Ted, which has been around since the 1990s. :wink:

5 Likes

Go to any angling site, they’re masters at it. Holding a water pig at arm’s length to make it look huge :smile:

2 Likes

Wish I’d bought an orig copy on vinyl - goes for an absolute stack now :yen:

1 Like

Tbh, I couldn’t tell you. Sounds ok to me, but I only play through a pretty cheap, small, Bluetooth speaker. Would like to get something with a bit more power!

1 Like

Was looking at discogs - think it’s a really good pressing re-mastered etc

Sometimes LPs now get pressed from digital sources not the original masters, which effects the sound badly. I guess bands like this won’t do that. Just seen Ride’s 25 yr anniversary re press of Nowhere is fetching north of £100 already - bleeding eck

One of GF’s old band - their albums being re-released. They wanted to do it properly - so they had to track down all the old tapes from Southern records. John Loder is no longer here sadly, and the label is defunct. Took about a year. Turns out one of the sound engineers has everything in his house in Hull. Her band even recorded on VHS tapes - all sorts of strange things… they didn’t want to risk it getting lost with a courier, so someone drove down to pick the lot up

3 Likes