Watcha Listening To?

I distinctly remember the first time I bought three ‘singles’ with my own money aged 15.

Unfortunately, as that was now 30 years ago, I can only remember two of the three. :roll_eyes:

Stevie Wonder - Master Blaster (Jammin)

Adam and the Ants – Dog Eat Dog
(Still love the sound of the twin drum kits.)

Will come back and add a few more “Old Fart” choices later on. :wink:

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

However, for the ultimate TriTalk Your all gay! [Trade Mark] music video, I give you…

The Style Council – Long Hot Summer.

2 Likes

Oops, I seem to have replied to Whisk rather than the thread.

Given the choice, surely that must have been 40 years ago :open_mouth:

D’oh!

Did I mention Old Fart?

Yes, 40 years ago.

No wonder I can’t remember.

Happens to us all :wink:

I still can’t get my head around the fact that it’s nearly 30 years since Nirvana released Nevermind :open_mouth:

1 Like

I remember when Stand and Deliver came out and as a 12 year old thinking it was cool to put Tippex across my face to copy the look!!!
It took days to get if off and I got grounded for being an idiot!

4 Likes

I was too polite to question 30 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Surely, anything by Black Lace :metal:

Vintage record shop etc etc :rofl:

Just that it would have made us the same age, and there’s no way I was buying that 30 years ago! I was into Public Enemy when I was 15, plus other hip-hop stuff. That then became Nirvana and the early Rave stuff in the early 90s. Eclectic me!

1 Like

I saw Reef support The Rolling Stones at Brixton Academy.

“Who are you guys?!”
“Reef!”
“Who?!”
“Reef! Rhymes with Keef!”

Great concert, and Reef became a regular for me after that, which brings me to:

3 Likes

Which reminds me. Kicking like Bruce Lee’s Chinese connection

1 Like

I saw Nirvana in a club called Selina’s in Sydney. At the time I didn’t realise how lucky I was to have that ticket. Nearly everyone in Oz that saw Nirvana, did so at one of the Big Day Out concerts. (huge open air multi band festival).

I managed to see them in a club that held about 5-600 people only. IIRC, the BDO festival was either the next day or day after. It was a good gig but the didn’t come on until 11pm, I was knackered before they started and pretty destroyed afterwards!

I think it was about 5mths later he was dead.

Anyway, time for another song. Let’s all give thanks for this voice!

4 Likes

I was going Portishead next. :+1: A mate of mine does music with their drummer occasionally.

1 Like

So when it wasn’t Nirvana in the early 90s, it was this stuff…1992

2 Likes

Or maybe this, until my parents told me to turn it down…:face_with_hand_over_mouth:. Great evening to be out a local field with some Bass bins :money_mouth_face:

1 Like

Oh yes - mother love bone: crown of thorns. Great song. Listened to the singles soundtrack a lot driving down to IM wales :metal: the cult were my first ever gig - sonic temple tour. Love the Mary chain, mudhoney and early Soundgarden etc… pearl jam ten grt on the bike

1 Like

Just grabbed a copy of this and tonnes of other Sasha etc early nineties off discogs.

1 Like

OK, now I’ve remembered just how long ago I am talking about. :roll_eyes:

@Poet – New Romantics weren’t the only choice in the early 80s. :wink:

Looking back, here are a few more Old Fart choices.

Rock
I saw Thin Lizzy at Hammersmith in 1981, with Phil Lynott picking me (among hundreds of others) out with the spotlight reflecting off the mirror pickguard on his bass. :sunglasses:

Renegade

Also saw Meat Loaf in Wembley Arena in 1982, where we were in the cheap seats which turned out to be as far away from the stage as it was possible to get, but boy could he belt out a song!

Bat Out of Hell

West London “Fashion”
Born and bred in Shepherds Bush and around the time I got my first Fred Perry polo-shirt, my first concert was Madness in Hammersmith in 1980. (May have even been wearing a Crombie style overcoat.)

One Step Beyond

Then it was down the 80’s soul boy road, complete with Farah ‘slacks’, Navy blazer, Gabicci diamond jumper, etc. (Well, I was young and we’ve now established it was a long time ago.)

With apologies to @joex for the Vandrossness of this example from the days of the ‘Americas’ nightclub in Southall where we often ended up walking home after missing the last bus and couldn’t afford a cab.

Maze - Joy and pain

In 1983 I headed off from West London to the Poly of Wales and lived in ‘The Valleys’.

To say my ‘fashion’ stood out like a sore thumb would be an understatement.

West London Culture
I often walked past the Greensleeves record shop / label on my way to/from school and ended up with my own [whisper it] bootlegged “12 inch Reggie” mix tape. No chance of remembering the full list, but these two were definitely on it.

Black Uhuru – Darkness
(I also had the B side ‘Dubness’)

Billy Boyo - One spliff a day
(Absolutely NSFW or PC and released before Lyric Warnings were invented)

I haven’t heard many of these tracks in years, so a nice trip down memory lane.
(Even though my memory is clearly not what it was.)

Cheers, Paul. :slight_smile:

3 Likes