Watcha Listening To?

Used to love these and ‘She Sells Sanctuary’ was my favourite song at the time and I remember at the school disco trying to time it right for when it really kicks in with the drums just after the quiet start.

2 Likes

Yeah they were great. IIRC, I’ve seen them 6 times. Love was a great album, as was Dreamtime. It took me a while to get used to the ‘AC/DC’ type shift when Electric came out but one song I love on that album is Aphrodisiac Jacket.

1 Like

Definitely forgotten them, and with good reason probably!

What was The Cult track they used on The Inbetweeners; Just Like Heaven?

I used to like ‘Back Seat Education’ but now I have a daughter, not so much. :wink:

Not sure @Jorgan didn’t really watch The Inbetweeners.

Got this stuck in my head at the moment…

2 Likes

… Thanks for that. :joy:

Haven’t heard that one in a long time either!

MGMT? As in Nu Rave :nauseated_face: :nauseated_face:

Fat Freddy’s Drop are awesome.
Great 2am - sunrise music.

Skating films had allsorts on there, each skater would pick the music for their section.
Stuff like MXPX, Pantera, The Pixies, one even had Britney Spears.
Those VHS tapes shaped my musical tastes way more than Radio 1, et al.

I didn’t listen to stuff like @chriswim mentioned, my tastes were always swayed by what was in Woolworths :wink:

Hot Hot Heat were quite good.

Best gig I ever went to was and NME Tour, where we paid £100 per ticket back in 2002/03.
Maximo Park headlined (!), supported by The Libertines and a new band called “The Arctic Monkeys”
That was better than any festival I’ve ever been to, it was so “zeitgeist”

1 Like

I was at the Wembley GnR concert with Soundgarden (pretty much unknown at that point) and Faith No More supporting - sadly I knew very little of them at that point in my life

3 Likes

Nice. I did see The Cult once with GnR supporting and about a year later they were headlining everywhere in their own right.

I saw Queen at Wembley whilst over on holiday and Virginia Wolf couldn’t make it, so a very little known band called INXS stepped in. The crowd didn’t like it much. Two years later, INXS filled Wembley on their own.

Also saw The Alarm and Status Quo at that gig. I ‘think’ it was Queen’s last live gig.

2 Likes

That could be another topic on its own, unknown support acts who headlined later on

I was at the one with loads of support

Deborah Harry
BAD
Jellybean
Hothouse Flowers
Jesus Jones

2 Likes

There was a club night in Ilford I went to every Friday, which had 2 floors and regular live music

One night I asked who the band was.
“Some indie band” my mate said
I went upstairs and danced to some 60s/70s stuff (Doors, Stones, Hendrix etc) instead

Missed seeing Oasis just before their first release

Seen Maximo about 5 times, including 2019 and 2018 at festivals! :joy: Still good fun live in the sun though.

1 Like

I saw them at Scarborough, in the basement club opposite McDonalds, about 150 people there, it was pretty bloody sweaty, and awesome!

Obviously Welcome to the Jungle is the best GnR track :metal: :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I’m not what my favourite GnR track is, probably Estranged.

1 Like

In terms of missed opportunities to see bands before they make it big, a recently-graduated member of my college was due to play a gig at the college with his band. The band was Radiohead and they cancelled the booking pretty sharpish when Creep hit the charts and they suddenly had much better offers elsewhere :open_mouth:

1 Like

I flew from Oz to UK to see Radiohead on the Kid A tour, as that didn’t come to Oz but I had seen them previously in Oz when they came out on the OKC tour.

I told the family I’d come to see them. :wink:

1 Like