Watcha Readin'?

Was that the Eroica (sp) bike one?

Yes, Gironimo???

2 Likes

ftfy

1 Like

So far this year:

Gironimo (Tim Moore). He’s a good writer, “The cyclist who went out in the cold” is better
Overlander (Allan Brown). Guy cycles across Scotland off-piste. I liked it
The Girl who takes an eye for an eye and The Girl who lived twice (both David Lagercranz). Pulp fiction, the plots are getting a bit silly now
Brightness Reef; Infinity’s Shore & Heaven’s Reach (David Brin’s Exiles trilogy). Very good but not as good as the preceeding ‘Uplift’ trilogy
Inversions (Iain M Banks). Starting the process of re-reading all his sci-fi (gulp)
Land of Plenty: A Journey Through the Fields and Foods of Modern Britain (Charlie Pye-Smith). A look at the state of UK farming. Very good

Just about to dive into Stasiland by Anna Funder - seems like a nice bit of light reading

Finally reading a fiction book after my said she’d throw out my latest birthday gift if I didnt read it. Its been years. Maybe even ten years.

Game of Thrones, book 1. Its very good, unsurprisingly. Still got a couple hundred pages to go. I tried watching the first two episodes of the TV series at the same time but they miss quite a lot of detail.

8/10 :+1:

great read…

At the moment:

1. The second book of Xi Jingping speeches.
  2. White Flag by Lord Ashcroft. (UK defence capability)
  3. The Vory by Mark Galeotti. (History of Russian mafia)
  4. Never Split the Difference by Chris’s Voss. (Hostage negotiation tips in everyday life)

As my daughter would say I am a geek/nerd.

1 Like

At the mo’ I’ve gotten into
‘The Bookseller of Kabul’ Åsne Seierstad - insight into life around 2002 in Kabul & region
alongside
‘What If?’ (serious scientific answers to absurd hypothetical questions) by Randall Munroe … v. amusing & easy to dip into
Happy to pass on/post either of above books to any1.
A good read, that I’ll be reading again
Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong by David Walsh.
Superbly written, dogged journalism, esp in light of what is known now etc. & hindsight
Cheers

1 Like

I recently finished some book about how these hackers who hacked anyones “feed” - the view of everything they see via the internet, and used it to influence and nudge the people towards whatever they wanted to think…

Why am I bothering to say this? 'cos today I’m being deluged by “aliens are real” everywhere I look, Chariots of the Gods on the amazon cheap books, “Alien Files Unsealed” appearing on my TV unprompted… it’s all real, they’re trying to prepare us!

1 Like

The earth is flat as well :rofl:

Not come across the book, but I do like xkcd so might check it out, cheers! And welcome to the forum :grinning:

1 Like

no you’ve just communicated with sloggers and its targeted advertising :wink:

2 Likes

This post could be as relevant in the ‘what you now know’ thread but here is probably the best place. It should interest the military folk here.

The White Flag book noted above, I am only 4 chapters in, and have found out that…

1. Stuff I think is a real risk, like serious state war, is a view shared by our armed forces.

2. They have a futures department to predict events. But have to water their reports down so much to make them of little worth, to keep diplomats/politicians happy. SERIOUSLY! (P49 of hardback edition).

3. They could not predict Brexit nor Trump (Sloggers sniggers, they were bleeding obvious to me).

4. I now understand the power of depleted uranium shells.

Only 4 chapters in and I already have increased respect for our military bods, who increasingly have to fight wars with kit disadvantage compared to adversaries and where to quote from p49 “the imperative is not to upset the diplomatic and political applecart”. I am flabbergasted.

If politicians and diplomats are not receiving the best briefings how can they possibly do the best things? I know I know, it’s politics and the issue is one of it not being possible to submit the best briefings. But that, if true, is seriously rotten.

In the unlikely event that anyone on the military/government futures team read this, get some backbone. If telling the full truth is a career ending event then that is terribly sad for our country.

Soapbox put away.

2 Likes

Funny!

I’m half way thru & can post onto to you if you like, if you’re not in a rush to read it. No probs if not, it’ll go to local charity shop.
Thanks for welcome too. I was on previous TT website, circa 2007 etc. , but only now got around to signing up again onto TT 2.0 website.
Cheers

1 Like

Welcome back!

1 Like

the books are better than the Netflix series

The No Bullsh*t Leadership book.

Still haven’t started Born to Run!

Very generous of you, will PM.
Was going to say no wonder I don’t recognise as I’m a relative newbie, then realise I’ve been here 4 years now :roll_eyes:

2 Likes