Weird hobbies (or hobbies that aren't endurance sport related šŸ˜‰)

Anyone else noticed that @GRamsay is keeping quiet.

1 Like

Itā€™s ok @JibberJim told him it isnā€™t weird

Quiet in general or quiet about weird hobbies?

Does swimming count as weird?

Added: Paging @funkster to impress @itom150

6 Likes

Hobbies. Pretty sure you had that ā€˜maskā€™ pic close to hand :wink:

2 Likes

Fairly sure Iā€™ve mentioned it before, but Iā€™ve officiated American Football for a long time. Came about from initially playing. Reached a decent level in the UK organisation, making the Elite Panel. Have had to step back recently (pre-Covid) as time was really becoming short for two time consuming solo hobbies, and the OH rightly said I needed to scale back a bit.

Can get a good feel from this: https://stenardstuff.wordpress.com/2018/04/11/bucs-div-1-final-refereeing/
Including at the bottom of the post some of the ā€œperksā€ Iā€™ve been able to benefit from in terms of NFL games. Being paid to be on the sideline of a number of games was a really rather fortunate position to have been in

1 Like

Rugby for cowards :fishing_pole_and_fish:

4 Likes

Iā€™m just sat in cafe mid ride in Derbyshire. It is mental here at the moment with twitches trying to get a glimpse of a vulture thatā€™s been spotted.

3 Likes

that Bearded Vulture is bringing them in from all over. not me though - seens loads in the Alps and Pyrenees. It really is an impressive bird!

1 Like

My hobby isnā€™t weird itā€™s fucking awesome

13 Likes

did you make all of them? If so, thatā€™s seriously impressive!

Hahaha. Had to give up the Gimp life, made my eyes water

1 Like

+1 for the birding

Just been watching a pair of buzzards circling near our house and providing some much needed entertainment from this afternoonā€™s wfh

1 Like

Nah.
My job is to make them look good

Generally you find very talented people and give them large sums of money.

Have started bits myself.
The Snowie (middle bottom) has all 3d printed parts which I did at home and then painted.
Few bits of Dpool Iā€™ve made / painted

1 Like

Writingā€¦not that i have much time or headspace for it these daysā€¦

3 Likes

Not these days but I used to race motorbikes ( proper racing, not track day Willy waving) and of course surfing. I used to play a lot of guitar.

On the weird scale, not really weird but more unusual for this audience. In my teens I was a very avid coarse fisherman, and I used to do pretty well at matches.

I drifted away from it, especially when the pole revolution came and then I moved to Oz and itā€™s not really a thing there. When I came back to UK, I started again and went with my Dad, as I did as a youngster. They were magical days a few years ago, just Dad and I, years later, still enjoying the pastime ( no matches).

Dad is gone now but I often think of taking Little One. I donā€™t really like sea fishing and I hate, hate, hate eating fish. !

2 Likes

Fixed the title for you @itom150 :wink:

Fixed the title for you

which has stopped me saying used to play baseball. No, not rounders, you try getting hit by a 80mph pitch and tell me itā€™s the same game :slight_smile:

1 Like

I used to golf with an Italian guy who foraged for puccine (sp.?) at certain times of tge year. :+1:

Yeah I can never get into those, although by all rights it should be up my alley. My great aunt was a fan, and said I had to figure out the rules myself, being told them was essentially cheatingā€¦sod that, if the clue isnt an anagram, Im not playing! :sweat_smile: