Weird hobbies (or hobbies that aren't endurance sport related šŸ˜‰)

Like a few here, love windsurfing, but decided that living too far inland the faff involved for a good blast once Iā€™d had kids wasnā€™t worth it. Still have 1 board in my garage, waiting for the kids to get older, then maybe the garage will lose bikes and gain boards again in reverse fashion. Not weird. Can we change the title toā€¦Hobbies you gave up when you got obsessed by your W/kg and stroke faults.

2 Likes

That is lovely, Ive tried sketching a few times to no avail.

My son and father seemed gifted that way, though.

Iā€™ve got a significant birthday coming up, so Iā€™m negotiating with her who must be obeyed to see if I can do a gliding holiday next summer, to get back up to solo standard. I might have a bit more time to be able to continue with the sport in the future, but will have to see.

1 Like

Everything I know about mushrooms is from Joe Rogans podcast with Paul Steimets. Interesting stuff if youā€™ve not seen it. https://youtu.be/mPqWstVnRjQ

You still need to watch the Elite Trainers in Strong, Netflix.

In between 40h working 10h training ??h fathering 3 kids and ??h being berated by the wife, I find time for gardening.

Not very well obviously, but gardening is not a performance hobby :smiley:

image image image image image

Essentially I wanted a hobby that kept me near home for the family.

9 Likes

Lovely photos. But in #2 she should deffo watch out for velociraptorsā€¦

Ps cracking garden!

3 Likes

Haha, yes I love #2 there. Ace photo.

1 Like

Cheers! Grass hasnt come up this year like it did last for some reason, the value of cherry picking photos hides the actual garden. :grin:. But its worth it for those ā€œmomentsā€. :+1:

1 Like

Iā€™d advise cautionā€¦ I bought a board and sail on ebay back in May for a bit of funā€¦ a few sessions later, and iā€™ve enjoyed it so much that iā€™ve just bought a second board along with various masts and sailsā€¦ its getting expensive! :joy:

Been there, done that, spent many many thousands pre kids, had loads of boards now left with 1, about 5 masts, about 8 sails! All set for relapse once kids get hooked! Loved sailing boats as well, the feeling when you really keel one of them at max speed is amazing, but thatā€™s a whole other level of hassle, and best left to (pricey with kidsā€¦) holidays for now.

tell me about itā€¦ crewed 49ā€™er for a whileā€¦ sailed a Moth and then an RS700ā€¦ and that was after a couple of decades of racing windsurfers, and then wave sailingā€¦ donā€™t want to think about what Iā€™ve spent along the way!
Its only one of the long list of sports iā€™ve been involved in that makes triathlon look good value for money!

2 Likes

Alba is the place to goā€¦although thatā€™s mostly trufflesā€¦

1 Like

Been really interesting reading some of the responses but guess shouldnā€™t be surprised that the vast majority involve some sort of outdoor pursuit.

I always find it slightly strange when talking to quite a lot of less athletic people they insist the reason they canā€™t run is because they find it boring and assume by extension they must think Iā€™m slightly boring for liking to run so many miles. The funny thing is often their hobbies donā€™t seem to be anything beyond the standard of ā€˜watching the footieā€™ or whateverā€™s on TV

4 Likes

you are a bit younger than i expectedā€¦@joex

2 Likes

porcini (Italian for little pig), aka cep (French), aka Pennybun Mushroom (UK) - latin name Boletus edulis.

one of the best edible fungus - and quite common in the UK (we collect them to dry) although most Brits think all wild fungi are poisonous (happy with that - leaves more for us). Europeans go mad for this one and itā€™s very widely collected throughout Europe.

1 Like

will take a look when I have the time as itā€™s over 2hrs long. probably all about psychoactive 'shrooms???

Yes, but also the extent to which forma? Plays a part in the eco system and the use of mushrooms for other purposes. And itā€™s only the first of 2 he did with him :slight_smile: so plenty to go at on the turbo.

fungi are a very important and under recognised part of the ecosystem and most do their important work unseen - the fruiting bodies we like to eat are just a tip of the unseen mycelium under our feet. and donā€™t forget the important role of yeast (part of the fungus kingdom) ---- [hic] :beer: :wine_glass: :bread:

1 Like

Any China experts here?

I have finishedā€¦

1. The first book of Xi Jingping speeches.
  2. ā€˜The Partyā€™ by McGregor (ex Financial Times Bureau Chief in Beijing)

Am working through his paper on ā€˜XI Jingping the backlashā€™,

Before reading the second volume of Xi Jingping speeches.

After that I was thinking of a Kissingerā€™s book on China but that was published in 2012.

Can anyone recommend a decent recent book of analysis on China?

You all know my views on what is going to happen c25 years down the line in China (and the 5 year risk of global war), but I want to gain more knowledge and perspectives on the country.

Unlikely I know, but given how diverse we are here, you never know. Anyone any decent suggestions on worthy books to read on China here and now? (I still read the Economist for bang up to date analysis).