What you need to do if you want to do something stupid

I think km on tenerife are different to anywhere else ( and the higher you go the further they are).- so 100k will seem a lot further.

Running wise,- I think the descent would be the worst.

But you do it and I’ll buy you a pint at the end.

Mon dieu! Reminds me of Donnie Campbell - he ran up all 282 Munroes in 32 days. He biked his way between each climb as well I think. Pretty insane.

Small claim to faim - I beat him in the clydestride40. Although he had just run the west highland way a week or so before lol

1 Like

Thanks. I need to study this that look likes an insane amount of training - I can feel my enthusiasm steadily draining away lol

Are you not tempted to have another crack at it?

I’d love to have another go but have 3 kids now. I’m hoping that in a couple of years time I will have the time to train for it again. But it be very different in terms of how I fit the training in.

I am hoping to do a 10x1 deca next year, so will see how I manage with fitting the training in. Currently, it is not going well as the last two weeks our youngest (15 months) has been awake a lot at night and I’m not getting the chance to do anything. Hoping this bit will pass soon

1 Like

10 x 1 that’s a continuous isnt it, not 1 a day?

I’ve confused myself now. I’ll be aiming for the one a day format. I’m not mentally strong enough for the continuous especially as I may have to do it unsupported as my wife will have her hands full with the kids. The 1120 miles on the bike really intimidates me to do in one go with only 3 hours sleep a night

3 Likes

If I ever go silly ultra it will be run LandsEnd-JohnO’Groats taking a summer over it.- But not exactly a sociable thing and not exactly fair on whoever is driving a motor home and cooking and basically just watching you eat and sleep.(so I’m waiting til my husband really owes me or really wants something silly)

4 Likes

I didn’t and have been affected by altitude sickness before…I wasn’t this time, but one guy with us was affected. He still got to the top (although he was slow) and his descent was unpleasant…

no to oxygen, not needed at that height, but it can help…

that’s quite light on the swim - although it’s a balance between sufficient and not excessive…

we sacrificed bike for swim and run, knowing that what ever bike shape he was in, we had to make sure he got there first…

2 Likes

I think cycling it would be enough for me lol

My biggest issue for the year was that we had a very bad winter and for weeks at a time there was snow around. This meant that the sea/lakes were very cold. I had a early time slot at the end of June and so it meant my opportunities for longer OW swims were limited.

I did get my double IM swim time to under 2 hours in the pool so felt I’d got some reasonable pace. And I felt fine after my 6 hour qualification swim. I think with all of it I was happy I was fit enough, just conditions on the day weren’t great. I’d definitely do it late August / early September in future though as this would give the best chance for good conditions

7 Likes

My dad once did end to end and back on a trike.- so if I took wheels I’d have to beat that.!

I would’nt be aiming to do it fast. And some of the training would be during the journey- ( Start at 2*10 miles a day 6 days a week maybe and try to work up to maybe 40 miles a day over 4 sessions)

1 Like

He’s a bit of a beast. Always impressed how he got his hulking frame round London in 2:52.

We did as much seas swimming as we could, as often as we could…but we had to balance volume with a niggling shoulder…

1 Like

I was thinking about this on my run this morning.- And I’ve decided that the best “something stupid” would be the Medoc Marathon.
So far I have 2 event specific sessions planned

1. Speed sessions: Just how fast can I down a class of wine.
  2. Form sessions: Practise drinking wine on the run without getting the classic wine smile
12 Likes

Ha … presumably anyone that abstained in that race would have a good chance of winning. Has anyone here done it?

… what’s the craziest/ hardest road race you’ve all done? Discounting ultras which are hard regardless lol

~15ish hours a week average from a glance. It’s a huge amount in normal terms yes, but I actually thought it was less than I expected for someone looking to do such a big challenge. It’s probably less than most age group Kona qualifiers, certainly if you believe what a lot of Americans claim.

1 Like

I think you’re right, it was about 15hrs a week.

I think the unmentioned time is changing time - this took so much out of my weekdays. A typical weekday would be get up 5:30am, change into run kit, leave 5:45am, run 12km to pool (with rucksack and all days kit), change to swim kit,7:00am - 1 hour in the pool (50min swim time), change back to run kit, run 4km to work, eat, change to work clothes, do a days work, 5pm change to run kit, run 9km home, 6pm change to home clothes, eat, 7pm - drive to pool, change to swim kit, 1 hour coached session (45min swim time), change to home clothes, drive home, get home at 9pm. Go to bed and repeat the following day but with cycling instead of running

So a single work day might see me change clothes 8 times. That soon adds up. Obviously, if I had a different job, pool etc then this could be very different but you have to make it work with circumstances.

By the time I got to the weekend, whilst I structured my time around training, I still had life stuff to do - moved house twice (once to temp accommodation and then permanently), went to Scotland for a wedding, battled with weeks of freezing temps, pool shut for refurbishments, DIY in new house, etc. I also had the inevitable sessions that got binned due to massive sense of humour failures or general CBA.

TBH, I’m amazed I fitted as much as I did in. Nowadays, working from home with treadmill, Zwift and turbo, if I didn’t have kids/dog, it would be a lot easier to fit more in. All my training was outside, so at the mercy of the elements as well

3 Likes

i like your thinking :slight_smile:

I think you’ve got years of endurance background in red wine downing, no need to train that :wink:

2 Likes