When is it okay to push off the wall?

It’s okay to start your length when the swimmer approaching the wall is…
  • 5m away
  • 3m away
  • An arm length
  • Touching the wall
  • Let them swim over me, if they can!
  • I literally don’t know or care
  • Must…vote…in…any…poll

0 voters

1 Like

You’re training for triathlon - the more physical contact the better.

4 Likes

This is my fourth week swimming, I think I’ve held back on my pool rage a respectable enough length of time.

It’s like the motherfuckers are specifically waiting for me to reach the wall.

4 Likes

I’ve had 4 sessions. 2 have been great with alot of consideration.

2 almost ruined by Breastroke Brenda who would vote “touch the wall… Look at them… Then push off”.
I sense my Monday sessions might be limited!!!

1 Like

Depends who’s quicker, you or them!

10 Likes

This. I voted 5m, but would push it down to them almost touching the wall if I knew I was definitely quicker than them.

Hate the slow nobs who push off as you reach the wall

3 Likes

Yes, it depends on the speed of the swimmers involved.

I always push off just in front of swimmers that are considerably slower; the opposite of what people should do if the reverse is the case.

4 Likes

So… this suggests that the old grannies doing breaststroke reckon they are considerably quicker than @joex ?! :joy:

3 Likes

As others have said, it all depends on the relative speeds. It only takes a length or two once someone joins a lane to tell if they’re faster, broadly similar, or slower. Don’t know if it’s just me, but I’ll use landmarks in the pool as we pass one another mid-length to judge relative speeds.

If faster, I’ll push off after them
If similar, I’ll try and leave at least 5m as otherwise they are likely to get sucked up through the draft.
If slower, I’ll push off as close to in front of them as I possibly can.

4 Likes

and if they are head up breastroking in the fast line I will bomb them from the starting blocks

7 Likes

Reminds me that there is a guy, 6.30am every single day, always in the fast lane and always about 10s per length slower than everyone else. It’s got to be habit but I’ve got no idea why he doesn’t go in the medium lane which often has fewer people in it.

There are a couple of women who turn up in the morning sessions, don’t look particularly athletic, get in the pool and are absolutely rapid up and down with perfect tumble turns. Really impressive swimmers.

1 Like

I find swimming with a similar paced buddy massively reduces your chances of suffering from this kind of interference.

1 Like

I will let someone go, Im very relaxed now and dont stress the few seconds on a turnaround (when not at my top secret empty pool) but my biggest issue is when i wait so they are a good half a length ahead, knowing i will still catch them by the end, am clearly waiting to give them room and someone comes in behind me and then goes off. Fuck you mofo, are you just thick or choosing to be an arse. I will then just push off over them.

1 Like

They don’t just recon, they know :wink:

1 Like

The best time to push off is a few seconds before @Poet’s rest is coming to an end. He loves that.

3 Likes

So long as your push off is the equivalent of the Ever Given doing a three point turn in the Suez Canal, yeah?

Maybe slower than that.

2 Likes

Oh I’d love to see you all in a pool with my 74 year old mum. She won’t be as fast as you but she’ll do 2 or 3 times the distance you’ll ever do. And, trust me, she’ll be swearing under her breath as she watches you flail about doing the 10x50’s or whatever your “plan” says today :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

(Tongue firmly in cheek but do not under estimate the slightly slower, but very fit, old ducks in the pool)

3 Likes

My plan is whatever I CBA doing from the dozen sets I have memorised :+1:t3::rofl:

Aim for a session each of;
Endurance
Drills
Speed (optional)
Speed endurance

Each session also features speed work.

I voted, but as I haven’t swam for over a year, i’m not sure I even know how to swim anymore!

2 Likes

I checked Garmin. My last swim was 19 months ago, and there wasnt a great deal before that.

I was quite excited to get back for a swim but this thread has brought back all the horrible memories of how annoying everyone else in the pool is.

5 Likes