Winter Riding Kit

Right then, TT massive, I’m after some decent winter outdoor riding kit, after spending yesterday 3 hours in the rain and cold.
Specifically, decent bib tights, overshoes and gloves for wet / cold winter riding

Been looking into ‘rainproof’ bib tights like the Castelli Tutto Nano.

And decent waterproof gloves, anyone? Are the planet X crab ones that are a tenner any good?

Thanks all!

I bought a Rapha winter jersey this week. Not a jacket, just a thick warm jersey:

Rapha winter jersey

My favourite winter top is the Santini Ironman Wales jersey. Have been trying to find it online to buy another one, but no luck so far. Flocked inner, thick fabric, perfect for cold days.

Single best item is a shakedry jacket. Insane. Chuck it in a pocket and you can go with a lighter long sleeve jersey and layer if needed. Breathable, light, space age!

Castelli winter bibshorts are fantastic.

Castelli toe warmers.

@Poet is probably vomiting from my mix and match approach to kit.

Other good stuff:

Gilets. Some really lightweight ones that you can stuff in a pocket and use to layer up. People swear by the Rapha insulated one. It is on my Christmas list.

1 Like

As with any outdoor activity where you’re ‘active’ you have to accept that you’re not going to stay completely dry, so the priority is warmth. Temperature management.

Windstopper bib shorts/tights are a must imho. I have some Gore Next2Skin bib shorts I wear with windstopper leg warmers when it’s wet/cold. I wear Sealskinz socks with neoprene or rainproof overshoes. I put the tops of the booties under the tights, but even then your feet are going to get soaked, unless you wear a drysuit! So all about warmth.

I love Castelli WS stuff, and if it’s wet/mild, I just wear a Perfetto Light/Gabba with base layer and warmers. If dry and cold, I wear an Alpha Light jkt as I run hot.

As far as rain shells, I’m yet to find the perfect one. I have an expensive Endura Pro SL, but it has no ventilation, a short back and I sweat like hell in it. So I bought a Sportful UK Rain Jacket on eBay for £20 and it’s way better!

Money no object? I’d like to try the Assos Sturmprinz jacket with some Equipe RS Winter bib tights. But that’s a near £700 combo.

1 Like

Can anyone tell me what the main differences are between the Rapha pro team insulated gilet and the insulated brevet gilet?

Is it just the cut, presume they both give a decent amount of protection from the wind. Can also see a different brevet gilet but doesn’t claim to be insulated

Probably looking at @Poet or @jeffb

I think Brevet is more aimed at long distance and comfort fit rather than a tighter race fit for the pro team stuff.

I don’t have one of those but the Brevet kit I’ve got is absolutely excellent.

@leahnp might also be able to comment, fairly sure he picked one up on eBay recently?

2 Likes

Okay…have you seen my Strava today?

My friend had the insulated gilet on, I had the windbreaker version.
I also had the windbreaker jersey.
Both Brevet.

My Strava says 2 degrees, but weather app said feels like minus 3. It was RIDICULOUSLY cold. I wasn’t a happy bunny, but…I WAS WARM!

Today’s kit list:
Pro Team LS mesh baselayer
Pro Team LS Polo neck baselayer
Brevet Windbreaker jersey and gilet
Pro Team Winter bib tights (with the fleece lining)
Merino glove liners
Brevet gloves
Brevet socks
Rapha Classic overshoes.

Brevet is more long distance and comfort.

I’ve tried on the insulated Brevet and it’s properly plush…the Pro Team stuff is the same Polartec lining, but a race fit. Not great when not on the drops.

I want the Brevet Insulated, but I already have the blue/pink colour way and the brown is truly hideous.
The nice bright yellow sold out in the archive sale, so I’ll need to pray they have it at the Bicester Outlet if I ever go back to work on the Northampton office again :rofl:

2 Likes

Thanks both

Thought pro team would be race cut.

Yeah, @Poet your Strava pics perked my interest!!

They closed the Bicester store earlier this year :cry:

FNARK!!!
Is the one near @jorgan still open?

I actually text my mate and told him to wear his Rapha colours, too :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face:
Nice matching look.

1 Like

Didn’t know there was one out west?!

I’m in Castelli Perfetto/ROS Alpha tomorrow.
That’s probably better than Rapha for warmth, but the quality in the Castelli stuff is massively variable.
I’ve sent a few items back to Wiggle for replacement. But Wiggle are no nonsense returns on most stuff within a year :+1:t3:
Evans also do Castelli and will price match Wiggle, so you can try on and buy in Evans…if you’re in Tier 3?

1 Like

4 :upside_down_face:

Evans would still be open i imagine

Just googled outlet stores - is it Shelton Mallet? That’s closed also!

Yes, I bought my first Rapha kit in Shepton Mallet only this February :roll_eyes:

It’s crazy how different everyone feels it isn’t it?!

I went out yesterday morning, left just before sunrise. Was about 3-4 degrees down to 0 with windchill.

I was in px cheapy bib shorts
Morvelo long sleeved merino jersey
Old gore long sleeved jacket/jersey thing
Alpkit cheap gilet
Santini neoprene gloves
Merino hiking socks
Px cheap overshoes

Was pulling down zips up the hills and only fingertips and goes started to get a tad cold after 2 hours.

2 Likes

That reads like my old kit list :+1:t3:
I’ve changed since my return :see_no_evil:

We stopped twice for a toilet break and it was then I noticed the cold.
I waited (legally!) outside my mates house for ten minutes waiting for him around 9am and was properly cold then.

But riding was good, apart from my toes.
Fingers were fine.
Even my waterproof socks and GoreTex boots don’t keep my feet warm.

I don’t know what to do there???

1 Like

So I dithered yesterday and resisted the purchase.

Scrolling through my phone at 5 am this morning and found a pro team race cape in the archive section. Yes please bought that instead!

2 Likes

THEY WERE ALL OUT OF STOCK YESTERDAY

I know!!!

Been checking it like a hawk

Get yourself one of these!
Pro Team polo neck base layer.
Santa brought it for me - the textured inside keeps the warmth in.
You can pull the polo neck right up over your face, which is awesome for nipping into garages without taking your gloves off to put a mask on :+1:t3:

1 Like

Tut tut Thomas.

Detention for you before you can begin your NYE party.

2 Likes

I can’t believe you wear all that. I have an Assos jersey/jacket that is wind stopper and rubbish. That with a short sleeve merino is plenty for me in this weather (for top half).