Winter Riding Kit

Eh?
He brought it to my house.
Obviously my wife bought it.
But Santa brought it :man_shrugging:t4:

I also detest people who say “brought” when they mean “bought”
They go into the same class of people who insist on making supermarkets plural :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I’ve got an Assos deep winter base layer with windproof front, absolutely excellent bit of kit I got cheap in a sale I think. Sadly, I’ve hardly used it and probably won’t much more. Think I’ve actually ran\walked in it.

1 Like

You can’t try to wriggle out on a technicality. Because if that’s the direction we’re going :shushing_face: (santa isn’t real)

1 Like

That leaves me questioning what you wear below to stay that warm…

2 Likes

I was looking at these today. Both green and purple look very nice. Alas, sold out in big sizes. Why do Rapha have such limited runs? Especially for the bigger sizes.
(Don’t answer that :grinning::joy:!).

I was frozen when I went out last weekend. I think that the goretex infinium on my newest jacket breathes well, is highly waterproof but just plainly not as warm as older stuff. Hence looking for a new base layer. Cos going back to older jacket wouldn’t involve shopping, would it?!

Anyway, cold snap for next 2 weeks apparently so you’ll get plenty of use.

2 Likes

You know Santa doesn’t need to buy anything because the elves make it, right?
He brought it to my house :wink:

Honestly, I lived in Derby for a decade, ma duck.
Every man, woman and child said “brought” when they meant “bought”
It was a daily losing battle.

Anyhow…winter gear?
Still wondering how to keep my feet warm???

1 Like

They also come up SMALL!!!
I am usually a Medium in Rapha, good job I put LARGE on my note to Santa.
The matching socks have also sold out :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
The purple is really nice, I’ve a SS base layer in it, looks really good :+1:t3:

1 Like

Well that’s that then. Also intrigued by the Spatz ones but they really do look tiny. Still, if it’s the “only gay in the village” look I don’t mind if it’s at least hid away underneath other layers…

I’ve ordered some sportful number. Won’t be here until middle of next week. So I predict better weather to arrive imminently.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl: bibshorts and roubaix tights, alpaca (obvs) wool socks and sealskins obershoes.

1 Like

In my experience, if it’s cold enough for overshoes, it’s cold enough for toe warmers as well & you’ll need some decent socks. I’m going to recommend Galibier for all of those, but I fear this’ll fall on deaf ears my duck.

:+1:

3 Likes

As @Memphisraines said both purple and green look very nice.

On my feet today I just had a pair of shitty Slazenger socks. The type you can buy in bulk from sports direct. Spatz shoe covers and Ridge Supply oversocks on top of those. Feet were toasty. Ok I was only out in it for an hour though!

2 Likes

My Rapha riding buddy from yesterday was raving about Galibier.
And my Derbyshire based riding buddy does too :+1:t3:

I’ve got some Northwave winter GoreTex boots.
But they’re shite. Once wet, that’s it. You’re fooked. They take three days to dry out.
They’re also cold!

1 Like

GTX extreme RR or flash?

I have the former, they never leak. And I’ve been out in them 2 weeks ago when I had to ford the road about 15x.

However, I dare say snow would defeat them. Afterall, who goes cycling in snow? :joy:

Flipped a coin and went with purple :call_me_hand:t2:

A buff not required with that neck?

NOPE!!!

Pure Rapha baby :see_no_evil:
Although even Rapha now do a “Buff”

Weather for the next week looks cold enough to justify it.
We’ve got -4 to 4 degrees for the next week.
Dry dry dry though :+1:t3:

1 Like

Haha. I did see that. Nearly bought the merino cap but I have their merino head band that keeps my ears warm

Rapha and Apple Pay is a dangerous combo

I imagine I’m preaching to the converted, but putting your shoes (and socks, overshoes, gloves) on the radiator for long enough for them to be warm right through, and then getting sorted so you put your shoes on and get straight onto your bike, makes a massive difference for me.

2 Likes

Yup. Deffo already do that!
I believe “nesh” is the term used.

1 Like

Stealing this idea, thanks. Forecast to be - 2 still even at 9am tomorrow!

1 Like

Sorry missed this. The brevet insulated jacket is awesome, basically a gillet with jersey type arms. Really light and toasty so it has been my go to for the MTB with a shell on top.

1 Like