Your Kona Picks - 2019

You should be able to connect the two with an HDMI cable

2 Likes

Yeah, Joe seemed a bit nervous in the limelight and his face when Ponchman was behind him was priceless :sweat_smile: He’s like the guy next door, you just want him to have a great day tomorrow, and as a Brit, he would be my choice of ‘who would you most like to see win’; of course he hasn’t paid his dues with a top-5 yet :upside_down_face:

To think he used to post on the old forum a few years ago, and now look at him!

2 Likes

Is it me, or does Frodeno come across as very classy? AB was very understated and modest in his BwB interview.

3 Likes

Joe is the guy next door. Around here he still rocks up for TTs, club TTs, run races, winter cross country races, the odd sprint tri etc.

I think he’s planning on relocating to Loughborough to get amongst some higher quality training squads.

4 Likes

Just listened to Simon Wards Kona predictions podcast with Tim Helming, Joe Skipper, Cody Beals and LIONel not in the top 10 :hushed:

Sorry, I’m not on IMJ… I don’t do Simon Ward :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I agree, but i know some people find him too polished. But i like him.

I like Starky as well, he comes across as pretty straightforward and funny. And LIONel has chilled out a bit, he was pretty cool during the interview. I’ve got to catch up with the AB and PL interviews. Interesting that LIONel was talking up Jessper Svensson.

Who’s does everyone thing the leftfield top5/10 will be then? This Cody Beals guy has a lot of chatter around him. AB is a rookie, but not really a ‘normal’ rookie. Nilsson to finally have a good race? Dreitz to move on up the list? Boecherer? Baekegard?

The one thing with Frodeno is arguably his Bahrain 13 connection.

I don’t think Dreitz has the run to threaten the top guys. Beals is a good shout for top 10, not so sure about Nilsson or Svensson. Potts is not talked about, but despite his age, I think he might still scrape into the top-10 after another well executed race, coming up on the run.

Undoubtedly some of the top guys will have issues, and they will be out of contention early. Last year looked like it was going to be amazing, but in the end Frodeno was injured, and LS/SK had bad races from early-on.

But with AB and Frodeno in the mix, and the other top guys looking ready…this feels like the most open and competitive Kona I can remember; the strength in depth is just amazing in the men’s field. Literally you could name 10 guys and no-one would be surprise if they won.

2 Likes

Beals is definitely ST’s latest squeeze, maybe even challenging the indomitable LION’s status there.

He seems very analytical from the BwB, sort of guy who will race his own race and thus slide into the top 10 when everyone else explodes, but won’t threaten the podium because when decisive things happen he’ll miss out over analysing/taking the safe option.

1 Like

He’s triathlons Roger Federer

I watched about 2 hours of the BwB interviews yesterday, in the end, I’d switched off.
They just say the same things, over and over and over - talk about football cliches, these guys have way more.

I did enjoy the Cam Wurf Kona diary, he was taking the Michael something chronic in that :lol:

I almost wrote that, but again, i know some people that find him awfully arrogant etc. Again, i like the guy. Maybe that says something about me?! I’m a total sucker!!

He still puts his trousers on one leg at a time :laughing:

1 Like

But then Ali, Javier and Daniela should be viewed the same

AB is listed at 6ft and 137lbs :open_mouth:

That cannot be now, surely and has to be old information?

just watched this one. What a classy guy. Humble, bit of humour, thought he came across very well .

Yeah I reckon has to be old. Might have helped him cope with heat mind.

Never heard an interview with any long-distance triathlete, last few months just starting to get into the pro-sport. Listening to first one BwB now with Lionel, he sounds a lot more normal than I’d imagined.

2 Likes

Don’t do IMJ either. Simon’s a bit Marmite but he does get great guests from his long history in the sport.

Forgot that AB has never done an IM :scream: