Your Kona Picks - 2019

Actually this is a key bit. It’s a very close relationship, but he’s not on the team. Who knows then what that means :slight_smile:

"At the end of 2017, we talked about just putting me on the team but then it seemed better to maintain a status quo – considering what I needed to work on [for Ironman], and that isn’t my cycling.

“I’m treated the same as the other guys who do the training camps, with all the support from staff and whatever else I need, but I also have a bit of flexibility where I can test [equipment] and do other things, and that’s been really beneficial for me.”

This thread seems to have segway’d!

So, did Saturday inspire anyone to have a crack at qualification next Year, I know Matt is interested.

I’ve got a very small desire to go but not enough to put any serious effort in, and I’d need a lot of stars to align. I’m in M50 next year so less slots as well.

Jeff

Really inspired me. Not for next year and unlikely the year after too but I’d love to go and experience it one day, as looks incredible. Will see how things develop but hopefully a 5 year plan.

1 Like

As much as i would love to go i neither have the talent or the wallet for it to happen. So late nights watching it is all i’ll need to worry about!! haha

Yeh, sorry think that might be my fault :bomb:

I’ve always had one eye on it since I came 14th in my AG first IM (it was a challenge…).
Since then I have unfortunately gone backwards :rofl:
Although I have had a lot of adverse hurdles such as a chronic lung problem and an unaccommodating girlfriend, I do wonder what I could do with 18months clean (maybe uninterrupted is a better word!) targeted training.
My last good performance I was 1 year off the next AG and if I had been in that I think I would have come in with a chance on a big roll down.

The problem is the bell curve, I notice there are a LOT of people in the 20minute window from the top 10 in any AG. So really they could all be saying the same thing.

Would love to think I had a chance but with only one spot in my age group these days and a higher propensity to pick up minor but sufficiently training-time consuming injuries I’d be looking at the loyalty programme, but part of me doesn’t like this as it’s the world championship race not the most finishes race.

Yes. Massively.
Especially listening to Dan and Tom on the OA podcast.

Dan won Clitheroe Triathlon (400/30/8) where he put a minute into me on the swim, 8 minutes on the bike and 2 minutes on the run - so he’s about an hour fast than I am at IM.

The final M35 spot at IMUK (John Lenehan) was doing ~10:30 for flat IMs a couple of years before, did a 10:44 at Bolton, I reckon 10:26 as 1hr/6hrs/3hrs 20mins will be in the mix.

Whether I will be anywhere near that come July, I doubt it, but the seed is there.

5 Likes

Always enjoy watching Kona and think maybe one day. Maybe give it a proper shot once the kids are older. More likely on legacy than merit though. I’d be fine with that though. If you’ve completed the 12 or so Ironmans it takes to qualify for it id say you’ve paid your dues

3 Likes

Yeah this year was probably best training I’ll ever do, and was right place right time living close to Bolton and all the negativity putting other people off entering. But hopefully stars will align again at some point, and if not TV was still good!

Yeah and have always said that is what i want to do when i started doing tri’s all those years ago.
Will have to wait until i am in the 90-95 AG though to have a chance :smiley:

1 Like

I really don’t know why it doesn’t really appeal to me…?!
I could have gone this time but that roll down was exceptional.
That said 7 th spot ( 50/55 ) was less than ten mins ahead of me and I was 13 th…?!
Very tightly grouped 11:30 / 12:00 hours.

The adventure looks fantastic but, I can’t swim without a suit and I really want a new car…!

I think that’s almost certainly untrue. Salt water makes up for a lot of what you might consider you’d lose by not having a wetsuit.

Like others, it’s something that would be amazing to be able to do. But I just can’t see it happening. I’d have to go under 9hrs at any of the fast Euro IM’s to be in with a shot, and the UK one’s don’t suit my relatively weak bike.

I won’t lie that a potential KQ at Wales is partially in the back of my mind. A guy from my club got the last roll down spot this year in my AG, and it took him a few years to go sub10 on faster courses, so given I did that first try it’s not totally out of the question. But I do need to work on my bike if that’s realistic. And then you need to get lucky.

2 Likes

I’m scared of swimming in the sea.
Suit or not.
In rivers and lakes I’m steady but my hr must be 120-130 for 33 min half and 1:10 full distance it really is just a warm up.

I would 100% have a panic whitey in the brine.
Possibly loose the whole show.
Something to work on next year.

Obviously anything else i”m Mr Nails!

2 Likes

@Mungo2 Did you watch Jaws as a kid?

1 Like

Wales 2021 will be my KQ attempt. I was 4 mins away in 2018 at Wales and I’m at least 4 mins quicker in the swim already so will just need the stars to align.

9 Likes

I’ve had a few goes. Nearest miss 3 mins/2 places, also missed by 6 and 11 mins and blown completely.

For a fringe contender you need to keep buying a lottery ticket and hope that all the stars align on the day, starting with being healthy and injury free, with training and taper nailed on the start line through near perfect execution and who else shows up and maybe a roll down gift.

It’s bloody hard, but rewarding and I have enjoyed those races despite near misses.

I suspect we’re a little like racing greyhounds - we chase that bloody rabbit round the track to a point of exhaustion but once caught have no idea what to do with it and why we were chasing the damn thing so ferociously.

My pursuit led to me notching the magic ‘12’ so I’ll be toeing the line next year as one of the not quick enough but keep at it types.

I’ve no idea whether afterwards this will be ‘box ticked, move on’ or I’ll go back to chasing automatic Q.

9 Likes

Sharks…!
It’s not sharks.
Not over here anyway, it’s just so… vast

1 Like