Your Kona Picks - 2019

zackbike

Found This about beam bikes

Cody Beals had a mechanical on his Ventum & had to pull out :pensive:

1 Like

Interesting spat between Starky & Wurf developing - as good as calling Wurf a doper by the looks of it.

“I have been very impressed with how much @cameronwurf has improved his run in 1 yr. At any level a 40 sec/mi improvement to close out the @IRONMANtri is phenomenal, at the pro level it’s insane. Seems your on the same ”program” as @ChiMarathon #champion Brigid Kosgei!”

Wurf doesn’t need to cycle at all.
He can solely swim and run, using cycling for active recovery.

I’d expect him to make #gainz like that over a year or so, he has the endurance base from pro cycling, and is developing his run.

1 Like

Wurf’s reply was funny:

"What’s the world record for the Marathon Marching :guardsman:? You’d have to be close 🤷 "

Starykowicz backed down pretty quickly but his use of “program” was an obvious doping dog whistle

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I’d think the more far reaching part of Starky’s post is that he also seems to be accusing Kosgei as well? Unless I’m misreading? I’ve not seen any suggestions (up to now) that she has any questionable ties. Maybe I’m just not close enough to the ladies marathon scene.

That said, he does. He’s actually part of Team Sky/Ineos … the only difference is he doesnt have his name on the bus. He’s effectively a non-racing domestique / training partner of all the big boys in that team, and is coached by Kerrison.

1 Like

Many within the athletics world (outside the UK) saw Ratcliffe’s record as very suspect and someone blasting it is at least suspect. Kosgei is Kenyan and in the last 5 years 50 Kenyans have been pinged for doping. So they’re suspected for good reason, like we would a Russian athlete smashing a record.

1 Like

Fair point

Add to that the fact that Kosgei’s agent has had at least 4 of his other athletes banned for doping…

Ah that makes sense now. Don’t get many pros on Pinarellos. Always riding with pro cyclists too

Google is often enlightening on these occasions. Type Brigid Kosgei into google and autofill suggests ‘shoes’ as the no.1 search term. Drugs don’t even make the top ten. So not many people searching for a link.

Regarding shoes, it seems she ran in the Next%. She originally planned to run in the 4% as that was her previous experience, but was convinced to use the Next% by the Kipchoge run - which ironically didn’t use the Next% except for the pacers.

There are several articles suggesting that the shoes account for the margin Kosgei had over Radcliffe. Not that that diminishes the achievement in any way.

1 Like

See, this is what I don’t get. Every single shoe ever produced has, at least in theory, a goal of being a “better” shoe than the model that came before. Just because Nike had better success in their R&D and, by all accounts made a step change rather than a marginal incremental gain, doesn’t change the fact that continual development is happening, and always has. I bet Radcliffe’s shoes when she ran were better than the shoes used to set the record before that.

Stifling development will just lead to general apathy … in the same way the UCI effectively killed the hour for decades with their Merckx rules.

Ever the since the original Vaporfly was first unveiled, I’ve been torn about their place in the sport. Instinctively, I thought they should be banned, in keeping with the simplicity of person-against-person competition in running. But I struggled to rationalize why this particular improvement in running shoes was any different from all the previous improvements in shoes and other equipment that separate us from the three-hour marathoners who contested the first modern Olympics.

Kind of admits, once you stop running in bare feet it is impossible to ban ‘performance’ shoes.

1 Like

They did show Lauren Brandon for a lot longer than was necessary. Wonder why!

1 Like

When did African runners really start to dominate distance running. 1990s? I wonder what the national anti-doping programmes have been like in East Africa over that period; probably looser than Jamaica.

Perhaps the 90s is just a coincidence.

1 Like

I don’t think this is true is it? Yes he is coached by Kerrison (alongside some other coaches, he mentions Sean Kelly as swim coach and Brett Kirby as run coach in his blog) but he’s not on the Ineos payroll AFAIK

Wurf does talk about going on their training camps and shares a pinarello and Castelli sponsors, probably as a favour to Kerrison via Sky/Ineos. We do know Sean Kelly doped, I’m surprised he’s knows much about swimming though.

There’s an article about him someone posted where he pretty much says he his. They are using him as a training guniea pig apparently.

Edited to include the link: https://www.ridemedia.com.au/features/wurf-training-for-triathlon-with-cycling-champions/

Yes, it’s on YouTube somewhere where he says so.
Something about sorting out the TT position of Geraint and Froome.