Your Kona Picks - 2019

Ryan Sissons, Richard Varga and Igor Polyinsky are the only three other names i recognise from that start list SO not a strong field. But you would still expect there to be enough swim and run power to ensure CW gets nowhere. Super bike domestique for everyone that swims behind him!

A lot of people think he’s hilarious, but I think he tries to hard; as a result for me he’s not actually that funny. He has some gems, and wearing the LS ‘No Limits’ shirt around Kona is one of them. But I think his attempted banter with the Germans is falling on deaf ears; Jan is not laughing with you Cam. I thought calling Stein a ‘douchebag’ in the Press conference was pretty sh!t humour too; although I realise he didn’t really mean it.

Now if I was TO, I would have jokingly whispered in Jan’s ear at the conference “yeah you bastard, why didn’t you wait for me at the airport!:rofl:

2 Likes

I’m with you there, I think it’s fine to mouth off and ‘trash talk’/top bantz but you have to deliver and whilst 5th is very good, it’s not trash talk good IMO. If he was actually witty it wouldn’t bother me at all. I don’t like Tyson Fury but he’s very good at finding funny ways to get in his opponents head.

He’s clearly on an upward trajectory though, that probably buys him a little more bragging rights than he might normally deserve.

Interesting read. I wonder what he’ll change going into next year. All the talk about Italy being too close would certainly seem to have been the case, with all his references to just not having his normal top end.

It occurred to me when out running on Tuesday, that all my good Ironman runs have come off ‘limited’ long runs, whether by design or picking-up an injury :thinking::face_with_raised_eyebrow::smirk: They have all been low 3:30s with no walking.

I do wonder if I have a bit of LIONel in me tbh; where I have to ‘remind the body’ or ‘test it’ more than is needed; especially as I age. Every year I’ve done 4-5 long runs (16-20 mi) during my final block, I’ve ended-up scraping under 4h and getting cramp.

Ironically, the last 3 have been 4:00/3:59/3:58 so headed in the right direction :sweat_smile: Getting a GPS watch doesn’t seem to have helped my pacing efforts either.

1 Like

I think (our) Joe had similar prep enforced on him too didn’t he?

Looking good for when you reach 70, which is my aim, but thankfully I dont think you are in my age group as I’m not that fast now. Ive started saving now !

The LION’s post race vid is up. Sounds like he forgot to drink on the bike…then got dehydrated.

2 Likes

I’m not a fan. He just comes across as an ego to me.

Seemed like an honest no bullshit vid too. :+1:

How do you pace them? Start hard, finish slower or aim for a consistent pace?

Which is weird as i’m 90% sure that in the live coverage he was guzzling out of a Gatorade bottle (obviously one Gatorade bottle doesn’t quite make a complete nutrition plan!), which he then flung on the roadside - incidentally, DQ for littering?!?

Funnily, I never finish them at the pace I started! It’s a shame I can’t go back and see my pacing from my best Ironman runs, which were ages ago now (2008/'11/'13). I didn’t have a GPS watch in those days.

Can you not get them from some of those data sites I posted up links to? Those generally archive timing mat splits as well as overall times, so you can infer pacing (altho as we all know, the tracker pace is often out a bit)

Edit - only seems to have two of your races on there for some reason.

Which links are those? I must have missed them first time around. 2008 was Roth (not Ironman)

There are two on there for you

Oh yeah great, the other one is Frankfurt, the 40 degree race where I had to lie down FFS :sweat_smile:

That site only gives overall splits, no way of seeing the pace at mats - or have I missed that?

You cannot see the pace, but you can the splits at the pace mats - look at the last part of the graph bit against you and four of your closest rivals!

Ah right. Work is filtering the graph!