Your Long Distance Palmares

Yes I get that, but it’s not like using something inanimate like a landmark, something that will always be present. I would suggest the event is about the athletes and their Ironman challenge, not a particular (high profile) group of supporters.

1 Like

…like the support at Tenby or Roth swinging people towards those races?
When reading race reports, I rarely recall people mentioning landmarks, more where the support was, or how they looked forward to reaching it and what a boost it was to receive it.
Events that don’t have the support of the locals die.
So for them to acknowledge the supporters in this way is brilliant - it might also spur other supporter groups to try harder to get onto the medal in future years.

1 Like

Urm well that’s the point, they singled out a bunch of supporters, and the event isn’t about them. I set up a water station on an Ultra outside my house, but I don’t expect anything in return, it’s not about me. I’m just happy to be useful.

What next, Tenby putting a picture of the guy stood in the bucket of a JCB shouting at the athletes?

It’s interesting that we have differing perspectives though :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

WHY DO I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS???

(Weymouth 70.3 medal is a facial skeleton of a T-Rex, despite one of those not being found there :wink:)

2 Likes

It’s a pretty good medal…

I thought it was a actually a play on Jurassic Park - Jurassic coast?! - that’s still bloody wrong though as T-Rex lived in the cretaceous period :nerd_face: :rofl:

4 Likes

Yes.
I thought of The Jurassic Coast and Park play, but discounted it due to the reason you state.

Anyway, despite what I said elsewhere, we all know the best medal is a Norseman black t-shirt (with hairy legs and no tattoos)

(Nice tiles, BTW. That’s what my weekends are currently filled with, schlepping round warehouses trying to distinguish between eighteen different shades of anthracite :triumph::money_mouth_face::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:)

1 Like

To be fair, I’m pretty sure there are no dragons in Wales; and never have been :laughing:

1 Like

That’s because they’re all smashed on mead in Beddgelert, silly :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

The year i did it. On a quiet part of the bike course there was a whole family on the end of their farm track with a sofa in the bucket of the JCB, flasks of tea, flags etc supporting the whole bike portion. Was ace!!!

Not as scary as being chased up the hill towards New Hedges by a little Asian lady smashing a saucepan with a wooden spoon and shouting at every athlete to keep going!! scary, but very sweet as well! haha

2 Likes

Lies

Was that 2016?
Because that was definitely 2016.
Maybe they both come out every year :rofl:

Get them on the Medal! :wink:

I’m fairly certain I saw a family sat in a jcb bucket in 2017. I’d completely forgotten about that until I read the above posts

That would make a stunning finishing medal :rofl:
Thought I imagined it

2013 i did it … so maybe they’ve been at it for years!

Yup the JCB bucket gang they are brilliant…reminds me of the song

“I’m Luke I’m five and my Dads Bruce Lee drives me around in his JCB”…BA Barracus also gets a name check !

1 Like

I’m at the low end - didn’t really like IM distance:

2005 - TLD
2006 - Knocked off my bike 3 weeks before TLD
2007 - Became a student so had no money
2008 - Norseman
2009 - Norseman
2010 - O-till-O

Wandered off to other pastures after that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

some of the more obscure / defunct IMs:

Ardgartan
Anglian
Big Woody
HorseMan (Endurance Life)
XTri24/XMan
XXMan (Exmoor)
JurassicMan
TriathlonX/Wasdale
Triathlon eX
IsoMan
Immortal (2015)
Kielder
Owler (2014)
TT Tri (Isle of Man)
Gladiator RNF
Challenge Henley
Cleveland ‘Double’ Steelman (2013)
ElbaMan
EnduroMan Lanzarote DoubleIM
Ultimate
some tothers

7 Likes

You obviously never met one of the staff at the Fourcroft Hotel. :rofl:

1 Like

Keeping this only to IM, so skipping halves and ultras:

2016: Ironman Wales
2017: Outlaw
2018: (ultras)
2019: Challenge Roth
2019: [pending Ironman Wales]
2020: (will be running)

Does Alpe d’Huez long count as 3/4’s?

Roth 2012
Wales 2012
Bolton 2013
Barcelona 2013
Bolton 2014
Barcelona 2014
Maastricht 2015
Frankfurt 2016
Barcelona 2016
Louisville 2018 (shortened swim to 1.5k though)
Hamburg 2019

I make that 11 full’s, lost count of half’s, but also managed London, Chicago & New York out of the marathon majors and should get into Boston 2020.

Jeff

4 Likes