Your pre-race dramas

Haha, I’d forgotten about that but do remember reading about it on TT1.0!

1 Like

Arriving at the event to realise you left your helmet on your driveway while packing the car.

Not as shitty as his, it would seem!

Roof mounted bike racks…not entirely welcome at Aix en Provence 70.3. The open air car park for T1 has one of those height restriction arches…I saw lots of splintered carbon.

My wife did that a few days before a race with my sons Isla race bike. Drove straight into a height restriction bar. I went straight to the local bike shop who initially told me it would be a week. When I explained we were leaving that day for my sons race, he told me to come back in two hours. Had to true the wheels, and fix things like the handlebars, but the frame survived (with a dent). He tried to charge me £10, but I left the shop some proper beer money. Learned that day that:

1. a proper bike shop staffed by cyclists needs to be loved
  2. Isla aluminium kids bikes are incredible
  3. don’t drive into a height restriction car park when you have bikes on your roof
6 Likes

This one is a bit of a drama but with a silver lining:
There’s a local race to me that (I now know) has a history of illness from the swim. I’ve done it 3 times and been violently ill twice, the 1st & 3rd time.
The middle time I came down with a nasty infection in my nose the week before the race, bright green fowl smelling goo was oozing from it for days. The doctors gave me some pretty strong anti-biotics as were concerned about it spreading to me respiratory system. It stopped oozing the day before the race but I still had an open wound on my nose so stuck a waterproof plaster on it and hoped for the best. It was a really hot day with a 1 mile walk to the start of the swim so the plaster dropped off just before the start.
Having been ill the year before I didn’t know what to do for the best so thought, what the hell and did it anyway. It’s the only time I’ve done that race and not been ill. I think the anti-biotics gave me some kind of protection. Thinking, the illness was just one of those things I did the race again the following year and was ill again, have never done it since.

You should probably tell us which event, as a public service! Is it by a castle with a really shallow/weedy lake?

No, river Severn, down stream from the sewage works. (that probably should have rung alarm bells sooner)

Oh right, not far from me, but not heard of that event.

I wasn’t going to name it but now worried we might be speaking crossed purposes and I’ll end up stitching someone up, so Upton Tri. It’s a shame as I really enjoy the race, Saturday afternoon with camping and a party afterwards but just can’t do it anymore. Managed to pass the bug onto wife & son both times so banned even if I wanted to.

1 Like

a certain gentleman and one of the best AGers of his generation drove into the garage with his carbon bike on the roof rack…

He just wrapped a lot of insulation tape around the holes and carried on…

Thankfully i couldn’t keep up with him anyway, so i didn’t have to worry abut ever riding too closely to him…

1 Like

At one of the Bedford sprint events in the mid naughties, I managed to lock my wife’s car, with the car keys in the boot. Luckily, I was wearing my trisuit and had just got everything I needed to race out of the car, except for a water bottle. Thankfully Ryd:on managed to supply me with a bottle and contents on the promise to settle up after the race, and one of the marshalls phoned the breakdown company for me.

Chap turned up just after I’d finished racing and recovered the keys out of the car by bending one of the doors out of the frame, so he could stick a bit of wire in to extract the keys. Moral of the story, which I’ve never forgotten, don’t just open the boot on a central locking car, always open the whole car, so when you shut the boot it doesn’t immediately auto lock.

1 Like

Not mine, but just seen this in transition. Hope the person realises in the morning!

8 Likes

Hahaha… oh cruel life

That’s one of those situations where everything is telling me to swap them over for them but then I wouldn’t mess with someone else’s bike. God forbid if you broke the cleat or something trying to help too.

At least it’s a relatively easy fix!

I’ve got a bit previous… and, at one stage, was at risk of developing a reputation!

Always driving to an event… shiiiiiiit, where’s my helmet (kitchen table) / disc wheel (garden) / bike shoes (on top of the wheely bin!). Separate occasions. Guilty of being a bit last minute dot com.

Current pre-race drama has thankfully happened a fortnight out from Roth rather than en route to the race. Fresh from pre-race tune up, I set off yesterday for final big training day (Metric IM). Just minutes from the lake, bike dislodged from the roof and bounced down the road! Thankfully, quiet residential, with no one around… rather than the busy A road we’d just left. Potential consequences are not worth thinking about. I’d locked the carrier to the downtube with the key as normal but must have forgotten to attach the wheel straps properly. Heart in mouth moment.

As you might expect - I’m feeling pretty bummed! Damage to race wheel and forks is terminal. Rest of the bike is visually ok… although, structural impact to frame / carbon bars is uncertain. I’ve let insurance company know, awaiting verdict. I’ve been open about circumstances, depends if they have a stupidity clause under accidental damage.

Timing is far from ideal, but at least it’s just damage to a bike and no one is hurt.

:anguished:

Noo! that sucks, but like you said at least it’s just your goods and not you!

Hope you get somethign sorted.

Is that the ‘old’ Slice model?

2013 model Slice… at least, it was!