2022 Goals

My main target is sub 12 in Mallorca in May.

I’m also about to enter the 70.3 in Lanzarote in March to use as a reintroduction to racing.

My only Ironman to date was UK in 2017 which I didn’t really train for and ended up being a looong day out.

8 Likes

Haven’t done an autumn half marathon before, now thinking a PB attempt at an autumn marathon a few weeks after the Big Half may be an option. Won’t get into London, York marathon looks promising, would mean getting a Y parkrun the day before as well. And on that note, it’s mad that my next foreseeable trip overseas could be 14 months away to see friends and visit a Christmas market in Holland (and collect a Z parkrun).

3 Likes

As usual I am aiming high… I overshot this year, so even higher in 2022

Sub 65m Ironman Swim
Sub 9 hour Ironman Distance
AG top 20 in Kona (perfect if I combine with Above)
AG IM Podium (even better if i combine with both above… but not going to happen)
Sub 2:50 Marathon
Sub 17min 5km (depends on whether I think risk of injury is too high)
Sub 4 hour 100mile TT

10 Likes

Just to actually do a tri again is a good starting point for 2022 for me, this year has been a utter disaster, only had 3 tris entered, 2 got cancelled last minute, and I had to miss the last one due to damaged ribs

My main aim I think will be either the Outlaw or Hever Castle Bastion, would like to do a full distance that is a bit easier than my only previous one!

3 Likes

:face_with_monocle: jeezo!

I’m adding - learn to play golf & draw gas stations at night, on-site

Also added to previous sport list - do track sessions. Do 10ks ( I hate them I hate them I hate them ) join an athletics club ( no one wants me ) and … :thinking: that’ll do for now

2 Likes

Despite my previous rhetoric about not taking training etc. seriously these days and not having as much motivation I’ve found myself staring at a season of fairly big races TBH, and I know I’ll be annoyed with myself if I just turn up at them half-arsed as usual. So I need to starting thinking about things and planning some slightly more serious training. On the proviso the races go ahead and I continue to recover from this flipping injury.

Not going to set final goals right now, and assuming I do UTMB that is basically survival!

So a couple of early thoughts on goals.

Half marathon - 1:25/1:27, partly depends on the weather in January
Boston mara - 3:10’ish, this would require a few more long runs, but something round that time might get me into London 23!
70.3 - 4:50, give or take a few minutes. Texas is one option if I can get some swimming in before hand. Got a couple of others during the year

Real stretch would be getting to the 70.3 WC, but that would require having a very good performance on the day and equally lucky roll-down given the lack of slots at a lot of races. But I think some people will be put off by the trip to St George.

Then I’ll retire :rofl:

12 Likes

Good luck @jeffb Boston is great, mind the early downhills if you want functioning quads after 20 miles…:kissing_heart:

70.3WC rolled far in 50-54 at Bolton 70.3, I know at least 10th so it’s no Kona.

1 Like

Thanks, I’m hoping if I get some running on the fells I might survive the descents at Boston, but descending on hard tarmac is a different ball game entirely.

That’s partly what I’m hoping for the 70.3WC, M50 is pretty stacked right now but I do think a lot of people will be less bothered about it, especially if they are going to Kona already, it’s a lot of travelling.

1 Like

I’m not sure if this should be in here or the Existential thread but I can feel a fundamental shift coming and not in a good way. Fingers crossed about this strength program my feeling is adjustments will have to made to my goals.

2 Likes
  1. Win a pool sprint
  2. 79:xx half
  3. 4:19:xx at Cotswold Classic
  4. cycle 325km in a day
  5. 17:2x 5km
7 Likes

Stuck those into VDOT and almost perfectly aligned (58.3), unlike mine :

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s not bang on for me V-Dot.
I did;

17:58 5km
36:34 10km
1:20:41 HM

In 2019. So reckon it’s doable :+1:t3:

1 Like

So what are you going to do for the other 50 weeks of the year?
5 achieved as part of 1
2 achieved as part of 3
4 achieved getting to or from 3

Job done, kick back and relax on the new patio.

7 Likes

When has a pool sprint ever had a 5km run :rofl:
4.7km ish at best :rofl:

Same with 70.3.
Show me one with a certified HM course :man_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

Sub 3 at Brighton
Win a local sprint - did this early this year and have the taste for it
Top 10 AG at either Bolton or Tenby
Get my 5km time to 17:59

8 Likes

I’ve won a few Duathlons, never a Tri.
Came SOOOO close at Southport, only to outswam by nearly 3 minutes by some human fish. Pretty sure I’d have caught him on the run if it was a normal race. Not some stupid time trial nonsense.

Anyway…your marathons…

You said you’d done about 10 of them.
Is that standalone ones?
Or are you including IM shuffles?

2 Likes

Training begins on 25 Oct for me.

Aims for the year - really to get faster mostly targetted at run but also generally with more of a 70.3 focus than IM - (previously I was always IM focussed but did some 70.3’s off mini or no taper). Secondary goal to improve IM execution. Get back to training specifically for target triathlons rather than be generally fit and spread too thinly across TT’s, Zwift races etc.

So:
Sub 19 5k
Sub 3:15 marathon
FTP 4.2 w/kg

Races:

AG Podium chasing (Outlaw Half, 70.3 Staffs, full Outlaw)
MOAR: 70.3 Worlds Top 30 AG

Current position: 2.5kg overweight, lost a lot of fitness since mid Sept but probably the most refreshed and rested I’ve been when starting out for several years. A coach hired to guide me through the fog!

Better get started…

8 Likes

Yes, 9 including the IM shuffles

5 have been stand alone marathons. I don’t know why but I’ve always winged them. With Brighton I want to get to the start line in decent run shape having put the time and effort in giving it a good crack.

My 3:10 pb from Goodwood last year was off the back of daily running, no speed, MP or long runs etc entered the day before ffs :rofl:

I kow I have a respectable marathon in me I just need to respect the distance

6 Likes

Me and 2 mates that are all doing this mara in a couple of weeks went out together last night. So lots of mara chat.

Riding in, it may have just been my hangover talking, but i was seriously dreading this mara. Talking about the previous ones has just reminded me how flippin horrible they are! Give me a hilly 100km for 12-15 hours any day. I’m dreading this!

2 Likes

You must be putting some pressure on yourself no?