2022 IRONMAN 70.3 Staffordshire

No wrestlers, no bueno.

Yeah I’m hopefully hitting the ground running, bit of fatigue starting to creep in as pick up the work.

Think I’d be happy if Ironman announced this was cancelled now, to at least know I can go back to exercising for enjoyment.
My head “knows” it will be, but given I’ve already booked flights to Taupo and am training well it’s hard to give up on the 0.1% chance situation might have calmed down by then.
Had a week of annual leave booked next week for a home training camp but going to offer to work instead.

8 Likes

Good man, @Chriswim :+1:t3:

It’s definitely going to be cancelled

EDIT:
I’ll be out. Chasing my refund now.
I don’t want to mix with people.
And 2021 isn’t going to be good, with no vaccine in sight.

3 Likes

Just got this from them:

As you may be are aware of the statement from British Triathlon Federation, who have cancelled all triathlon events in England taking place up to 30 June. Our team is currently working diligently to stay abreast of this situation as it is unfolding. All athletes registered for this event will receive additional communication as it become available regarding how to proceed. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work through this dynamic situation.

1 Like

I think all these events just need to call it. Scrap it all to 2021

using force majeure is also a weird one, as it’s effectively cancelling the contract.

But then there’s me here, thinking that their being negligent by asking me to compete, perhaps this year?

Oh yeah, I must try that chargeback. Nothing on the email from OSB despite the BTF announcement.

Yeah, I did wonder if they realise they are eventually going to have to refund, but are making sure they’ve ducked any incidentals.

GOOD!
So, I am not reading this wrong, am I?

They have effectively cancelled the contract, so we can pursue refunds for the event not going ahead?
But, like you say, they’ve ducked out of paying suppliers?

You could well be right…

They may also have one eye on potentially consequential loss claims… although, while I haven’t looked at the TC’s, I would be very surprised if they’ve not specifically excluded those up front already, regardless of circumstances.

Looking at their accounts on Companies House from Y/E 2017, they are c. £8MM in the red, but Messick states that Wanda can bail them out and they don’t have any worry about paying debts…

…will they fold the Ltd. company and absolve themselves?
Who knows, but speculation is all I have right now :wink:

Are they wholely owned susidiaries of Wanda? If so then Wanda will have to bail them out, if not then why not let the company fold and licence to a new organisation

It doesn’t appear that way.

75% owned by one person…

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/search?q=Ironman+ltd

Take a look at the accounts, and let me know your thoughts about the annual compulsory strike offs being cancelled

Starting to get excited now! Presumably with this being the only sporting event taking place in June in the whole of Europe then the crowds will be big and there will be TV coverage?

Registration is still open if you’re keen!

5 Likes

Think I read on one of the Ironman Facebook pages that they’ll wait until the 45 day no refund date to make their announcement

I don’t know the ins and outs of their policies but I’ll just defer to next year if I can. A date in September is no go with Wales

26 th of April apparently…!?

1 Like

Utter bollock merchants.

I make it 23rd April.
But doing it Sunday 26th April makes (no) sense.

2 Likes

:100:

That’s the date flying round IMJ…
Never realised it was a Sunday.
Something to do with a 25% fee…?!

Never took much notice to be honest, there are actually people still training for it…?!?