2022 races

Say what?

Just seen the headline. Sounds like ‘we don’t have enough suckers’?

2 Likes

I just signed up for IronMan Wales last weekend while sitting in an airport for 6 hours. I have been out of the sport for 2 years, sold my tri bike, and haven’t swam in 18 months. This will be my third Wales. Aim is to ride it on my beloved road bike (Tarmac SL6), with a big smile on my face, and then enjoy the run as that is where I usually shine.

26 Likes

Well done mate, everyone should do Wales at least once IMO, proper hard course with proper hard weather and no Euro drafting :+1:

I’m surprised there are still spots?

4 Likes

Practically every IM has spaces, pretty unusual for this time of year.

When it went on sale in 2019 it sold out

Presumably folks have got their cash back with two consecutive cancelled races

2 Likes

Exactly my plan. Only doing it as I paid pre-covid.

Will get some swimming done and do a 1:10-1:15, could go all in on the training to save 5-7 min but can’t be bothered.
Get in decent bike shape to enjoy it and then enjoy the run/walk/jog.

It’s such a good race and a must everyone at least once. I’m

9 Likes

Registered for tomorrow, I’m number 11232 if anybody is bored. There’s a tracking app called B.A.A. racing, found stenard and someone that might be Tupperware :man_shrugging:t2:, what number are you?

I’m roughly starting around 10:30 Boston time which is about 5 hours difference.

I’ll probably be hoping for something around 3:20 unless something goes wrong!

It’s looking cold, morning temperature around 5c and barely getting into double figures and an increasing headwind from what I can see. Also a fairly high UV though! I’m heading towards a long sleeve top under my running vest.

Steve/Chris, from a conversation I overheard this morning and the notes, when we get off the bus there’s a holding area with a marquis and muddy field! It’s then about a 1K walk to the rolling start line. But there’s loads more toilets down there.

I’ll have a black vest with yellow band and NYMAC on it. You’ll have probably gone by then though as I don’t think I can get an earlier bus. Good luck :+1:

17 Likes

Best of luck Jeff :+1:

1 Like

Have a great race

1 Like

Good luck @jeffb its a great race. Did not blast off down that early hill, you won’t find out what you’ve done to your quads until the Nowton hills (:roll_eyes:), hope you haven’t got a couple of scrotes plotting a bombing……

Wellesley college is, er, amazing at halfway.

Game with Boston is always to finish ahead of your start number, which is effectively your ranking in the race. Bring it home Sir!

4 Likes

Good luck Jeff. I also saw the UV. My friends wife had to got to target to get some last minute easter things for the kids, so picked me up some sunscreen for my shoulders.

Air temp looks cold ish, but in the sun it will be warm. The 5k at 8am yesterday morning was cooking in the sun. I’d go against a long sleeve top under if you can.

I don’t feel great. Achilles flared up midweek after walking around NYC in smart shoes for work meetings. And since Thursday I’ve had this weird dizzy headache. Felt rubbish in the 5k yesterday. Target race pace felt hard, with HR really high. Faster than that for mile pickups felt a cruise last Sunday during that HM.

Will see how it goes. As I said previously, 2:59:59 would be amazing but if I ended up with 3:30 I really wouldn’t be too fussed. So I’ll give it a go. Ultimately I just want to finish it though so it’s on the CV. The qualifying time to get in wave 1, corral 2 was the big achievement. As much as its an early start for me, I’m hoping being so early will mean I can grab a better spot to chill out pre race. The rain last night will likely mean it churns up a bit.

#1940 for me

9 Likes

But of a random one yesterday. In a field of 10,000, as I was running down the final finishing straight, I had the guy with the next consecutive number running alongside. Funny how that can happen, especially when next to that is someone running in the 9000s

7 Likes

#1777 for me.

Quite tired after dragging 3 kids round New York for the last few days, but aside from sore feet I have no other excuses :rofl:.

Just been to the expo and quite a nice vibe…although lots of people running about, you’d think they would be taking a bit of rest :person_shrugging:

ETA, sub3 target

13 Likes

Best of luck guys :facepunch:

3 Likes

I’d normally do a 20min shakeout the day before a race. But with how I’m feeling, I’m not doing anything.

We’ll probably be on the same buses, so if you spot me, say hi! Although I’ll be in my big, fat, charity coat!

Good job I’m ditching it. Frees up the space in the suitcase for all the stash I bought yesterday!

2 Likes

Haha…yeah I have some old jeans and a blue rain coat I’m going to wear and ditch…so may resemble a hobo, apart from green/yellow alphaflys :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Good luck all!

2 Likes

Good luck @jeffb @stenard @Tupperware and enjoy it :+1:

2 Likes

#1196 for me.

I’m going to put some huge time into @stenard @jeffb @Tupperware

5 hour time difference will help….

Think I’d rather race in Boston MA, than Boston, Lincs though…,

11 Likes