2023 races

Had a proper look at this, I am in.

6 Likes

Good man!

3 of us booked and paid. Another 2 maybe 3 deliberating.

I’m sure there’ll be dropouts before then. But it’s a good start! :joy:

And I’ll wait until the summer hols are over before I start thinking about training! :joy:

4 Likes

Slightly off topic but my race number for HONC turned up today.

Handy as I had basically forgotten I had entered.

3 Likes

Are you going to rock up on your TT bike for maximum intimidation factor?

3 Likes

Of course - Cornwall is flat right? And not windy, so disc and deep wheels!

7 Likes

I have never been that far south, so I assume the ground is ‘Rolling’ ?

Yeah it’s pretty much always up or down. Lots of short, sharp hills in Cornwall. But the max elevation will rarely be much more than 150m or so. So the climbs are generally short other than maybe across Bodmin Moor area I’d say.

1 Like

Thanks, not actually on strava, so will sort that out and join the group.

Sounds like a new bike situation. :ok_hand:

2 Likes

I might have plotted a route last night - 200 miles with 5000m of climbing, although never more than 300m above sea level.

Not that I’m doing this.

Everyone I know who has done LEJOG says Devon/Cornwall was the toughest section for climbing. Lots of steep gradients, no respite. Scotland more long steady climbing by comparison.

3 Likes

I need
I look at my Garmin files to get a feel of what 5000m of climbing might feel like, I have never really paid much attention to those numbers.

1 Like

I can guarantee 5k of elevation will feel shit!

@buzz are you able to share your route?

Just curious

2 Likes

Yeha if you jump on strava feel free to follow me. You can see my rides around East Devon which are pretty similar to the Cornish coastal terrain. It’s hard for me to find any flat at all where I ride. The climbs are short but very punchy, lots of time in double figures gradients.

:+1:t3:

Stuff like this

3 Likes

Thanks, fortunately around my gaff there is a lot of similar short sharp stuff so I have an ideal training ground.

Will follow you when I work out how.

1 Like

I just auto-routed to the checkpoints and kept the route off the main roads. I haven’t checked if it complies with the <100m on the main road requirement or if there are better options available. Also haven’t considered if/when to make any overnight stops. The auto-route takes you north of Bodmin Moor and across the Tamar Bridge rather than heading to the Torpoint ferry which might be a nicer ride.

5 Likes

My immediate thought was to go for it on the Friday night and get the first hundred in right away. Bed down under a hedge for a few hours then hit the second half hoping to finish Saturday night.

The terrain might change this plan however.

2 Likes

I’ve got a few Cornish mates and some that are very familiar with the area, so i’ll be able to get some good help with the planning. That’s half the fun of this i’m thinking. Looking at potential food stops, opening times etc and linking it all together!

1 Like

The timetable for the checkpoints seems to encourage everyone to spend Friday night on the beach. But that is only 80km, and would either make Saturday a long day, or push towards a Sunday finish.

Anyway, I’m definitely not doing this…

And the admins are going to ask for a dedicated thread soon…

3 Likes

Agreed, but I feckin’ hate beaches, so I would be going on into the night.

2 Likes

Under a hedge?!

Rough you lot!