Apple Watch Series 5

:rofl::rofl:

Carbon date your bones on the fly

1 Like

I was having to charge the 735 every 3 days or so iirc. My 935 had 53% battery after IM Hamburg.

I wouldn’t really class the 735 as high end. I paid about £200 for the Tri Bundle including watch and both the tri & swimming HRMs.

oh fair enough. I thought it was more in the £400 arena. Between the 2’s and the 9’s

Yeah, I’m getting just shy of a week most of the time but it charges so quickly I’m not finding that a issue.

I’ve always used my Garmin/Wahoo on the bike of any tri. Prefer the unit in a fixed position as opposed to looking at my wrist!

1 Like

It charges quickly, because the battery is small!

1 Like

Personally, I’m finding the Wahoo Tickr sh1te for running…it’s all over the place. I’m on my second one in about 18 months; first one died. Before that I killed 3 Garmin HRMs of various flavours in as many years. HRMs seem to be rubbish quality these days.

What are Polar like nowadays; used to be my go-to. Not sure they’d be compatible with the 35.

Garmin are having to work hard on their battery life as they are losing out in the proper long stakes to the likes of Sunto. Up until recently there was no Garmin that would last a 100 miler with on the go charging, which is crap.

Got my £50 Series 2 today…interested to see how it goes.

I’ve got some podcasts on there, my wallet and a few fitness Apps.

1 Like

So it records swims, rides and runs.
You can’t see the face on this one, but that’s fine for the easier sessions (which is most of them)
It missed a few swim lengths, but so did my Suunto and my Garmin does it now.

Is it a replacement for a Garmin?
Probably not.

But, the new “always on” Series 5 just might.

With a Garmin, there are ways to ‘trick’ it to get that length back :wink:

Practising tumble turns usually gets them back.

I chuck a bit of backstroke into the middle of a length, normally works.

I get the opposite issue. I often come with the sets at my club so spend a few minutes waving my arms around explaining stuff which gets me a few extra lengths. They’re usually the fastest ones too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

DCR would suggest not. He’s getting less than 12hrs of battery life when you factor in a bit of GPS activity usage (45min run and 1hr15 cycle in his example)

I woke up at 0540 yesterday.
Walked the dog (auto logged as an activity)
Swam for thirty minutes.
Cycled for 75 minutes.
Walked the dog.
“Worked”
Walked the dog.
Jogged for thirty minutes.
Put it to sleep at 1930.
It still had 28% charge left.

I used Strava to log the run and cycle (which picked up power perfectly), MySwimPro for the swim - all used optical HR.
I also listened to podcasts on the watch for the cycle and swim.

This is a three year old watch.
So I’m not quite sure what DCR is doing?
…Maybe his Parisian apartment has ten hundred BTE devices on all trying to connect to the watch :wink:

Or maybe the “always on” screen is super battery draining? Even though Apple state not.

DCR also stated the Suunto Spartan Wrist Trainer HR was the best sub-£200 multi sport watch.
He was very, very, very wrong on that front.

1 Like

The first bit. Not sure why you say the second bit? Older watches without always on display claimed 3 days battery life. You sound like you’re getting nothing like that once you factor in activities. But then I think you have an older second hand one, so would make sense battery isn’t as good as a brand new one.

New always on display only claims 18hrs battery life, which once you factor in activities and GPS usage, apparently falls below 12hrs.

So 3 days to 18hrs definitely says apple acknowledge that the always on display hits battery life significantly

1 Like

GPS and optical HR during activities really drain the battery down fast.
Linked to the Wahoo tickr, it’s much better.
And if I listen to music from my phone…

…but that negates the point of me getting the watch to trial.

It’s not as good as a Garmin, but can certainly augment it.
If only to save all of the farting around with the HR strap, phone, cards, cash and keys…,

Just got to get that Brisant Ultion Smart Lock now.

1 Like

Doesn’t sound like it’s any good for HIM+ then.

1 Like