COVID-19 The Thread

Or you pick a country without the pointless rules (boosters don’t prevent infection, and PCR tests are too laggy) I imagine countries will remove the requirements in time, but of course it’s a political not a scientific question.

2 Likes

No one checks your “Covid pass” in france anymore so you’re fine.

2 Likes

It was required to get into Le Shuttle though.

2 Likes

I was thinking this. It protects the individual from the symptoms (which it could be argued makes them less at risk abroad); but this isn’t going to stop people spreading it.

1 Like

Was that an LFT or PCR?

Oh, neither, just the certificate of vaccination (assuming vaccinated). I’m not sure what the testing alternatives were, though there were some.

1 Like

Stepped up to sweet spot today, TR tweaked my FTP down 2% based on recent training or lack of.

Held intervals of 210W at Avg 145bpm so I think I’m safe at the level as well.

6 Likes

Yesterday I felt really positive and thought I’d be able to go to the mountains next week. Then my friend told me her doctor stongly advised her not to go and do strenuous stuff at high altitude. Thought I’d better go to my doctor, get my lungs checked and see what she says… :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :arrow_left: this was her reaction!! looks like I’m not going after all.

5 Likes

How high are you going?

High Alps? Is this long Covid related?

1 Like

2500 - 3000m

I’d have thought below 3000 you’d be fine as long as you are walking. I’m not a doctor of course, and haven’t examined you! But Germans to tend to be hypochondriacs; although not as bad as Italians.

2 Likes

I’m just recovering from Covid and my lungs aren’t fully healthy yet (my asthma inhalers aren’t working properly yet and I’m using my nebuliser once a day). So they probably won’t have time to fully recover before I leave.

2 Likes

Ah right. Personally, my respiratory system wasn’t 100% for about 3 months after having CV-19. So I can see why a doctor wouldn’t recommend it. Depending on your destination, you could use the cable cars and just do some light ambling? Probably not the Aiguille du Midi though :rofl:

2 Likes

Time spent bimbling in the mountains is always time well spent even if you aren’t going higher up and doing something strenuous (which I appreciate will be a bit frustrating)

3 Likes

I got back on the turbo at the weekend after 3.5 weeks off after my accident. I’ve been a bit sniffly recently and attributed it to hayfever, but my HR on the turbo was much higher than normal for the effort level, so I took a LFT just in case I’ve picked up a dose of covid, but it turns out that I’ve just lost a load of CV fitness :rofl:

There does seem to be an increasing amount of covid around at the moment. There was obviously a lot of cases at the Tour de Suisse and a bloke I know who was riding RAAM started feeling unwell a day or so in and tested positive for covid. Another friend is due to ride the Tour de Force next month and tested positive a couple of weeks ago, so he’s battling to get fit to ride that now. Some of my HotChillee mates were supporting a London to Paris event for Cure Leukemia with about 120 riders and a few of them have gone down with covid since, so either caught it on the event or in Paris afterwards.

It seems like there’s still a lot of scope for disruption to events, so take care out there.

9 Likes

Finally booked my Booster for next Monday morning; don’t want to feel rubbish over the weekend!

2 Likes

I’m starting to avoid social situations like the pub and gigs etc., have put a fair bit of effort into the training recently and don’t really want to miss races because of it.

I suspect any immunity from February is waning as well, especially with the newer variants.

It’s as much the fact it took a few weeks to feel normal at intensity that I want to avoid

5 Likes

had a pre-op Covid PCR test this morning - if I don’t hear from the hospital then I’m good to go for Friday’s knee op.

:crossed_fingers:

14 Likes

No cable cars, but that doesn’t matter. I was going on a training course with my alpine club. So it wasn’t something where I could pick and choose what I wanted to do. I can do the course next year. I’m off to the Dolomites in September, so I’ll have enough time to recover and train for that now.

3 Likes