Critique my position/bike/thighs

Great thread, so I’ll join in. Here’s me - no side on view unfortunately. Although I get quite low, there’s gains to be had if i could comfortably get my elbows narrower. Probably need a longer stem and angle the bars up more to enable that. Project for when i have some time to test!

I’m not doing anything long so just need something i can hold for 1 hour, so can afford to be more aggressive than you LC folks. Mainly its the neck that i find takes most strain from trying to turtle.

Have compared my position vs others at the club. My nearest rival ahead puts out a few less watts but is quicker - he has a taller but narrower position. Interestingly he doesn’t turtle but has a Bell Javelin which seems to be a fast helmet for higher head positions.

1 Like

Ooo, nice position…and calves.

Docked points for having yellow trim on the tri suit and not on your bike. Good head position though. :smiley:

Like a few others, I don’t have a decent side shot, here’s a front view at a recent 10m TT, def think I could do some work on my position to make it more slippery!

1 Like

Your right knee is too wide, lose power on downstroke and reduced aero

YOU ARE ALSO SMILING?!?

WTF is wrong with you people???

1 Like

I’m smiling cos the photographer was pretty close to the finish line and my misery was almost over!

I wonder how much we can be misled by focal length etc. The distant pic is recent and the close one is 4 years earlier, but the only setup change is a couple of cm of stem lowering, and more awareness of head position. Both were taken with a telephoto lens, not sure of further details though. Am thinking of revising my position with a local fitter who’s done wind tunnel work recently and reckons things have moved on significantly in the last couple of years. Setup is with long course in mind, but I’m now doing half IM and shorter. Now M55 but strength and flexibility have improved if anything over 15 years of yoga and Pilates.

You could benefit from getting a little narrower; hands & elbows. Comfort/flexibility notwithstanding.

In honour of Poet’s requests last night on Strava here are the pics form my sporting 10TT. My position is agnostic as I run off the bike quite easily for triathlon and Duathlon yet can put out a reasonable TT in the position. The pics are taken on entering an S bend on an out and back course so less turtling than normal to look at the bend. The pic on the left is on the way out and on the right on the return leg

2 Likes

Red helmet and blue skinsuit - tuts

1 Like

The helmet used to match my P5 until it died and my Casteli skin suit. Club colours do clash though

Aye, I’ve thought about narrowing the pads but really like the comfort and control (sporting courses - Lanza, Wales, Lake District). I’m comfier on my old P2 than on any road bike. Also, my shoulders are wide relative to waist. I wonder how much gain is to be had from narrower elbows…?

All that thigh skin, slowing you down :yum:

The owayo skin suits are simply terrible by the end of a ride I look like I am wearing hot pants.

I had the same issue with my tritalk trisuit. Looked great when it was first on but after 5 minutes on the bike I was pulling the leg grippers out of my knackers.

The S2 version of the Tri talk suit was one of the best suits I owned. It was quality.

My club skinsuit rides right up (so you can see my compression shorts underneath)

2 Likes

How come those dudes are in front if they are less aero?

2 Likes

Fair play.

The S2 gear is still some of the best I’ve owned. The winter LS Jersey is still going strong!

1 Like