Current Android phones

Mine did have a silicon case on it and it’s survived a few drops in the past. I guess this time I was either unlucky or it was one time too many and an accumulation of the previous ones.
The main reason I won’t spend £100s on a phone is I don’t trust myself not to drop it occasionally when it falls out of a pocket or you’re loaded up with shopping etc. At £100 I can accept the occasional breakage but this is the first one I’ve actually broken since having a mobile, all the others have slowed down or run out of memory as their age has caught up with them.

I’ve managed to sweat two to death, one was a hot day in a cycling jersey pocket, one was a cold wet day in an internal jacket of a waterproof while running. I’m more proud of this than I should be, but since the second one I’ve restricted myself to buying phones that claim to be waterproof.

Not really sure this has added anything to this thread, but as mentioned… more proud of it than I should be.

2 Likes

I mistakenly microwaved my phone for two minutes.

Fortunately it was under my lunchbox filled with spag bol - seemed to give the battery sufficient protection to not explode instantly.

Got many issues and functions that now don’t work though :rofl:

6 Likes

I’ve just remembered I came off my bike in a ford with my last one in my pocket too. It got a bit of a soaking and was temperamental for a few days but a session in a bag of rice sorted it out.
Ps. The funniest part was me shouting to everyone in front not to go through the ford because the algae on the road was really slippy. They all went through Ok so I thought it must have gone and promptly crashed the second my wheels touched it. In hindsight I think the people in front were two abreast so went through in the car tyre tracks whereas I was in the middle and hit the algae.

2 Likes

Youngest daughter has always had a 2nd or 3rd user iPhone. I always put in one of those big aluminium enclosure type cases with about 8 hex screws to lock it in and a glass front that is hermetically sealed and cost £8-12 new although I have always found cheaper because they are old stock for old models. She has dropped from upstairs onto hard patio, uses it constantly in the bath, poolside, and often carries it round wakeboarding to film herself or friends (case makes phone buoyant, which is a plus). Worst damage has been lots of gouges to the metal and a minor crack in a corner of the case glass. Phone remains perfect and so gets a higher sell-on price in the future. Not very good with wired headphones but everything is bluetooth now anyway. Only her street-cred suffers because of the size, but not so much as she makes a joke of it and most of the other teenage girls all seem to have cracked screens.
I use a silicone waterproof sealed case which is much thinner and lighter and not quite the same level of protection but very snug to the phone and great for sweat resistance whilst still working with touch, fingerprint etc. Still been fine with wakeboarding where I can carry it round down front of wetsuit, film some stuff by a ramp and swim back in without any issues, plus again it floats. Also had no sweat issues running or cycling.

I use a tight fighting clear silicone one and screen protector. Approx £11 from Amazon. My workphone is an Iphone XR and came with its own silicone case.

Definitely agree, although I have had Samsung the last two phones. Mainly for the inbuilt ant+. Handy for any sessions on a wattbike at the gym, or something like that (not exactly relevant at the moment!). But I only went s10e last time, which was the bottom of the scale. My unlimited data contract, even with inflation, is currently only £32pm (up for renewal end of Oct), and that’s only £12pm or so above an unlimited sim-only deal. So under £300 for the phone, with effectively interest free credit. I had been on sim-only deals for about a decade up to that point, but it was much much cheaper to buy the contract this time.

Fiancée just took out a new iPhone deal, again only £15pm or so above what she was paying anyway, and that also gave her unlimited data versus only 25gb before (we can’t get broadband installed until May(!!) so are living entirely off our mobile data allowances). She was still on an iPhone 8 before that, so hardly ever upgrades. Seemed worth going for the 12 this time, due to being 5G. The 11 wasn’t noticeably cheaper. Personally though, I just don’t “get” apple products. They market themselves as being simple to use, but they’re entirely counterintuitive I find most of the time, and the rigidity in which you have to use them how they want you to use them infuriates me! To each their own!

Yes, sweat killed my last one in a shorts pocket on an IM long training run. I generally only replace phones when they die (I break them)…which of course is a PITA, as the shop can’t suck your old phone across to your new one!

Can you even strip down phones these days, to dry them out? My last two you can’t just pull the back off any more.

@stenard ANT+ on a phone would be good for Zwift too, but I use my phone for it so rarely, not worth the money; I just have to do without HR connectivity.

Good point, I have used it for that once or twice when other things have been playing up.

As for sweat, that’s another thing with getting a slightly higher spec phone. Not sure where the line is drawn now, but my last two Samsung’s have been waterproof, at least for the purposes of sweat protection and having no real fear of them in a cycling jersey pocket without being in a waterproof pouch

Why don’t you guys put your phone in a waterproof bag when running/cycling? :thinking:

I’m pretty sure mine was in a sandwich bag on that ill fated run; but the sweat got into it, and of course couldn’t escape properly.

First one it was a nice hot sunny day, no risk of it getting wet… I didn’t think about how sweaty my back can get!
Second one, it was a really cold rainy day, so I kept it in an inside pocket of a waterproof jacket… I didn’t think about the condensation that would occur.

Yeah my pixel 2 is ip whatever rated. Something like down to 1m for 5mins or something. So I’ll leave it in a pocket even in the rain.

1 Like

Years ago I had a Motorola Defy ‘semi’ rugged phone, with grommets for the ports. That went down the loo once (ours luckily!) and it was fine.

IP67 probably. Which is actually 1m for 30mins

1 Like

I never take my phone out when I run. On the bike it is in a waterproof bag. I have a Spigen case that holds a couple of cards so I never need to take my wallet. Yeah , I know could pay with my phone but I’m old and don’t like change.

1 Like

Yeah, I stopped running with my phone, or music ages ago. The only reason I had it on the fateful long run, was because it was a one-way long run home from work.

1 Like

We have i phones at work. New ones. These have to be coonected to power outputs alot. 3x aday or they run flat. We have Samsung also, these last a day and a half before requiring to be connected to power.
Apple make great computers, but according to my computer shop, stay clear of the phones.
Generic waterproof case/bag for on the water works fine.

Yeah, the price is enough to deter me!

I have my iPhone SE running music, txts and some other apps all day and it will last easily two days doing that. On the flipside, my work iPhone XR doesn’t get a lot of use but has to be on all the time for VPN tokens etc and will last a workday,just.