Dorney Marathon and Half Marathon - 22nd Nov

The organisers did say they’d update about the event(s) this week, but I can’t see how it will go ahead on 22nd.

Worst case for me is probably if they delay to December, although it was only £37 so not the end of the world if I don’t race.

Starting to hope it’s not on. Just got back from a 10km and had two pieces of toast, a banana and two Digestives.

I’ve mentally checked out already. :laughing:

1 Like

Haha, I think I’m the same.

As soon as they make an announcement I’ll probably get booked in to give blood as well, had been waiting until after the race.

1 Like

Just received this email

FOLLOWING THE ANNOUNCEMENT BY THE UK GOVERNMENT ON SATURDAY THAT THERE WILL A NATIONAL LOCKDOWN IN ENGLAND FROM THURSDAY 5 NOVEMBER UNTIL WEDNESDAY 2 DECEMBER, WE WANTED TO UPDATE YOU ON YOUR FORTHCOMING EVENT, DORNEY LAKE MARATHON & HALF MARATHON.
The governing bodies of UK Sport have yet to reach a decision on how this affects organised outdoor sports and we hope, like you, that a way will be found for the event, and others like it, to take place. Until an announcement has been made, we would ask you to bear with us and we will update you as soon as we have more news.

If the event cannot take place on 22 November you will be given options regarding your entry, one of which will be a refund of your entry fee (less booking fee).

We will be back in contact with further news when we have it and thank you for your patience.

Regards

ATW Events Team

2 Likes

Just received it. Bloody hell, just can the thing already and then i don’t have to run long this weekend. :laughing:

6 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:

I don’t see how they can think there is any chance at all of them being allowed to put on a marathon during a national lockdown. Even if you can manage social distancing at the event, the amount of “non-essential” travel that it would generate would surely make it a big no-no.

1 Like

Agreed. Plus it wouldn’t look good. I’d file it under:

‘Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should’ (bit like having kids :laughing:)

1 Like

Had a mail from my fast Voda mate that has said it’s cancelled. She’s on FB and I’m not but I’ve had no mail yet.

1 Like

Nothing yet, but as governing bodies like BTA & BC aren’t sanctioning any events I can’t see EA doing it either.

More a question of if they rearrange, refund or offer another race I think.

My friend said April but in their earlier mail they said refund would be an option. I’d take the refund as I’m committed six ways to Sunday next year.

I think they’ve already got a race in April organised so probably transfer to that, but probably won’t work for me either.

Got the email today. I’m taking the refund.

Probably same here, can’t commit to April yet, will get a later entry if necessary.

I’m booked in for their 5 miler and waiting to see the confirmed date for the rescheduled race before deciding. I’ve already got a credit from them for a HIM from earlier this year.

So no marathon in November. Got to say I’m kind of relieved. I wasn’t really enjoying the long runs much.

Think maybe I’m remembering why i have only ever run two marathons (4h40 in 1992 and 3h05 in 2007). I remember now I prefer short stuff. Sprint distance tris and 5km runs.

So I’m in a bit of a quandary. I have booked 2 weeks annual leave and flights to Lanzarote in May, with the idea of doing IM Lanza. But a) not sure if it’s happening and b) have realised it’s about 12x longer than my prefered race duration.

So do I do it, or do I can it? Maybe just go for a holiday with my bike. Always wanted to walk up to the top of the cliffs from the beach at Famara. Drink some Tropical and Dorada while watching the race.

Decisions!

RACE :grin:

3 Likes

I’m kind of pissed off as I’d completed my longest runs last Friday and only had an 18km and 11km on the weekends to go,

I don’t miss the feeling ‘having’ to get xx kms in on a certain day, especially with work but it forced me back into some structure (which I’ve promptly abandoned :laughing: )

I’m going to tick over my running at between 30-40kms a week now and get pedalling again on Zwift.

1 Like

Nothing is stopping you running 26.2 miles on the day of the race…

1 Like

That’s what my friend suggested. We’re not friends any more.

3 Likes