Enter the Ninja - Funkster goes for two GWRs

No way a tracker’s going to follow the ninja.

Funkster’s gone incognito

8 Likes

Crush it and good luck!

I see… or not… obviously!

What time has he got to do?

Hope he does it.

1 Like

The heat broke me.

Was just under the record with a mile to go, but in a really bad way.

Collapsed with 250m to go.

Limped across 2 minutes over.

Lots to take away for the marathon in 3 weeks

26 Likes

Gutted for you, really tough with the heat today

Too fast to start

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that, hope you are alright, hopefully be a lot cooler for the marathon.

1 Like

I’m in a worse state than after an IM

4 Likes

No…!

Bloody hell, hope it cools down for the big one

Well done Funkster!!

Gutted for you @funkster at least you can take some good learnings for the full. I know the feeling of been between by the heat, I was in great shape for a sub 3 at the London mara in 18 but got the hottest London mara on record. Many went on to sub 3 at Edinburgh at few weeks later that I’d comfortably beaten but that was my only chance.

3 Likes

To quote Tottenham Hotspur; To dare is to do.

You gave it a great go and lots learnt. Hope that you can rest up well ready for the marathon attempt. 🥷

1 Like

Bad luck mate but you put yourself out there and gave it all. Take it forward for the mara. :+1:

Ah that sucks mate. At least you have another crack lines up though.

Hope the other elements of the costume held up ok, bar the heat?

:+1:t3:

Home now so time for some thoughts.

Heat - this was the killer today, the sun decided to come out just as the race started and then was little shade. There was no way of cooling down at all. Stupidly poured some water over my head and nearly water boarded myself.

Pacing - started off at what felt comfortable, given my practice runs, but today that was too fast. The course is a little undulating so I walked the hills, but for London a more conservative pace and run:walk to be used.

Hydration / nutrition - defo going to need more electrolytes for London. Going to get some tablets from Precision Hydration and keep them in the blister pack. There’s a pocket on the outside of the suit where they can be stored.

I stored a bottle of 2 gels about half way round, going to have to think about how to do this for London.

One thing is that I can’t move forward with the mask down, so have to be stationary when drinking. That was at least a minute in total today. Doesn’t sound like much, but could have been the difference in that last mile.

Costume - no real issues today. Still rubbing on one toe despite taping that. Terrain today did have some gravel/dirt which didn’t help and mile 11 had an up and down over a hill on trail, which my feet weren’t happy about. London is flatter and no gravel.

Carrying the phone did use up some mental energy today, especially when it ran out of memory. I haven’t changed the quality and so at 10 miles it stopped. I took pictures at 11 and 12 miles, but not an issue at London, only if I have another crack at the HM record later in the year.

Day off tomorrow and then reasonable mileage this week with a long run Sunday

12 Likes

Do you think yesterday’s 5k might have had any impact at all?

1 Like

Not really.

Legs were fine all yesterday and this morning.

I wasn’t going “fast” today.
I was just struggling to keep the HR and breathing rate down

5 Likes

This made me lol. I suppose it small things like that, that you just don’t foresee until you’re actually doing it.

2 Likes

Would it be possible to use a straw and drink with the mask up? I’m thinking like one of the soft flasks with a long straw.

Possibly, but then where to put said straw?

Flat, cold, possibly windy

3 Likes