Free Speed or expensive snake oil?

@arhy how’s your swimming these days? Still in touch with Charles?

Just throwing this out there, Yoga, Pilates or other work, I was told I’d have a lot less problems and possible get lower on the bike if I made an effort to roll my mid-low spine.

New wetsuit day as well, Roka Mav 2 with the 25% EA discount. Just hope it fits.

Jeff

1 Like

I decided to chance my arm and go for a 4 1/2 session at the Boardman centre.

2 hours of biomechanics looking at position and efficiency
1 hour in the wind tunnel

Saddle raised
Cleats moved
Praying mantis style position adopted
Arm rests in

Wind tunnel showed a 16W saving at 21mph which “could” equate to a 9 minute saving over IM

Did the Marshman on Sunday.
Although there was a slight course change from previous years I went 0.6 mph faster for 17 less watts (legs were tired going in as well)

Was able to run “well for me” with a 1:35 HM and first place overall (was a small field and a local race)

8 Likes

@jeffb mobility and strength and conditioning work is important especially as we get older. most of it can be done in front of a TV though so doesnt need to take too much out of other training

1 Like

I did look at the Aero Coach pricing too; 2h in the Tunnel is the same as using the indoor velodrome at Newport. They estimate larger wattage savings in the Tunnel though. £745 iirc

@funkster Would’ve been good to pick your brains while I had the chance! You were already packing up by the time I crossed the line and my feet were in bits after a bold decision to run sockless (never again!).

Tunnel time is a bit beyond my means at the moment, but have contemplated adopting a mantis / semi-mantis position and have been accumulating a box of bits with this in mind since Xmas. Intending to have a play on the turbo, eye-balling variations, before getting it re-cabled and “testing” out on the road. I’ve toyed with aerolab in GC but suspect I’ll be relying on gut feel. Time is also running out before the A race (Roth) - got a couple of long TT’s in the build up next month.

Would you be happy to share specifics about changes to front end set up? What extensions / arm angle etc? Aware pad angle is critical so I’ve ordered a set of adaptors off kingswann on timetriallingforum. Be interested to see before / after pics, perhaps one for the position thread?

Did you take long to adapt? Or just a case of tweaks made, crack on? A key factor would be impact to handling. Anecdotally: high hands position can make everything more twitchy?

Ps: Congrats on the win!

Would be keen to hear a little bit more detail about the process and what you got from it, especially how many tweaks you were able to make in the tunnel. Evesham is my home town, so I’m semi- regularly about there visiting my mum/family events, etc.

Happy to discuss via PM if that’s easier

Although constrained by UCI rules, the Hour Record guys are a good idea of what a conventionally fast position looks like.

I’ve been looking at the ROKA Mav2. Keen to see what you think of it. Although I’m not sure on what size. (185cm, 76 kg) - most sizes appear to be out of stock on the Uk ROKA site though!

@stenard
No problem at all.
I’ll create a new thread and if I can I’ll upload the reports/photos

@Krispy

Thanks man.
Yeah, I never go sockless for anything over an Oly.

I’ve decided I can’t mentally cope with that road from Camber to Lydd 4 times in one day, so won’t be doing that 100 in a few weeks

2 Likes

A lot of sizes were out of stock on Sunday, then back in on Monday so I ordered quickly, I suspect if you check regularly it will go up and down. Although delivery was pretty much next day.

Probably won’t be using it for a week or two yet though, but I’ll update when I do.
Jeff

@Hammerer. Haven’t swam in a while - last proper swimming was almost three years ago. Had three kids since and found it difficult to get good quality sessions in. I keep getting the urge to get back to it when I take the eldest swimming.

Lost touch with Solar - shame as we made v good progress with my sprinting back in 2011/2012 :dizzy_face:.

1 Like

@arhy shame about Solar, I keep meaning to look him up to chat swim coaching. He had a unique way. On my L3 course I showed the swim waltz video as a piece of “inspirational coaching”. It’s now used by coaches all over the country. One guy had a bunch of adults poolside with music on doing it :joy:

Anyone tried Maurten? I’ve been wanting to for a while, then when to spend my £15 voucher from a recent race and found the shop sold the sachets and gels individually so I bought 3 gel’s and 2 sachets of the big packs.

Hoping to try a sachet at an Oly race on Monday.

Jeff

I used the Maurten on Monday, big sachet in a bottle, possibly could have done with a bit more water, was ok though, not too sickly or heavy on the stomach. Will definitely try it on a longer race.

Jeff

1 Like

Have you tried tailwind Jeff? I discovered that last year and have been very impressed by it.

There was a lot of raving about Tailwind on IMJ last year iirc, and a friend of mine also used it for Bolton prep. I did like to point out that Tailwind is one of the most ‘basic’ products out there that you can literally make in your kitchen at home, but obviously people think there’s some USP in there and it’s far too much hassle to make yourself :roll_eyes:

Dextrose (Glucose), Sucrose (table sugar!), Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Sea Salt, Organic Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Citrate, Calcium Carbonate

So all you need is Dextrose, Sucrose, some sea salt and a bit of squash. I just make my own drink with a H5 Zero Tablet and a scoop of MP Dextrose from a 5kg bag…not exactly challenging. Writing your name on your bottle optional :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I had thought about this a while back … and guess i just got put off with a combination of being an idiot and worrying i’d mess it up and laziness.

For long races the pouches are very convenient as i can stow them in my pack (was using one every couple of hours in my 100 miler last year), but for stuff where i’m only taking one or two bottles of ready mixed solution (whether that’s running or on the bike) then you’re probably right. I should just make it up. Maybe i’ll try that, as the tailwind stuff isn’t cheap by any means!

A 5kg ‘sack’ of the MP Dextrose is £14.99; that’s a lot of bottles. The H5 tablets aren’t ‘cheap’, but I got a load in Lidl when they were reduced.

I’ve also got a load of SIS stuff from Lidl for this season; the iso gels are very palatable, even better than H5 imo. Three boxes of gels/bars for £20.

Yeah H5 are my go to electrolyte tabs and have been for years. Like you say, look for delas and ublk buy. Which reminds me, i’m out at the moment and have had splitting headaches after my last two runs as it’s so horrible, humid, sticky and hot at the mo.

What is ‘MP’ dextrose? (sorry)