Garmin questions

Mine is fine after 4yrs. However, see that spot on my wrist? That’s exactly where the optical sits! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

I don’t get anything from the sensors, but can get a sweat rash from the strap if I don’t keep it spotless.
I’ve never had that before. I’ve had couple of Polars, then a Garmin FR50, and Forerunner 625 before this.

Nice review of the new 955 on DCR today, quite a few new features and a solar option.

No significant price increase either.

1 Like

Does the solar charging work in a real life situation or is it a gimmick?

I have a Fenix 6x Solar (it was on a deal so was the same price as a 6x at the time), and it helps a little, but very little, the solar panel on the 955 (and Fenix 7 series) are bigger so may help a little more.

1 Like

Tempted with this but might wait a few months to see if the price drops.

I’m quite liking the look and price of the 255. I have the 935 and it works well if I stick the hr strap for accurate measurements.

1 Like

May have bought a FR955….

Controversially in white.

12 Likes

I was moaning about the battery life on my 820 in April, turns out I hadn’t updated it in a while.

Did the update and Mallorca 312 (225) only used 50% of the battery with power meter and GPS.

Nearly spent a bunch of money for nothing!

4 Likes

Yeah I’m waiting for the Forerunner 255 as well… Looks really well spec’d for the money…

My 245 has been brilliant to be fair. So I think the 255 will be even better vfm

1 Like

The bonus is I get discount through work so I’m looking at under £200. I’ve had a 735XT for 3 years now and its been very good, but due an upgrade now…

3 Likes

Anyone else having issues with the connection between phone and watch? My Fenix 5 repeatedly wont sync, it shows in the app as connected but when I refresh it says An error has occurred. Disabled and reenabled BT a few times and eventually got it to sync, but now I am not getting notifications from the phone on the watch

Another one bites the dust, I seem to go through HRM belts at the rate of one a year.

Looking at trying something different- the wahoo tickr X

Anyone else using one of these and had it last a decent amount of time?

I’ve not got the X - think mines Gen 2 (purchased March 2022) . Wifes had Gen 1 (purchased Dec 2019).

I’ve gone through 3 or 4 different Garmin ones before that inc the dual and the pro. Often I’d have problems connecting and need to wet the connectors, most died around a year - esp if needed to change battery. That’s ultimately why I swapped cause of the screws made of cheese in the Garmin.

I’ve not used the Gen 2 loads - but when I have its been reliable and quick to pair. Gen 1 not used daily… maybe weekly. But not heard any complaints. Think battery only been changed couple of times - without issue!

No it’s crap!

Had one last year. It died, got a replacement on warranty. Now my current one is going mental as well. My garmin ones would at least last me, normally, a couple of years. I’ve been unimpressed by the Wahoo.

Interested to see any other options from people…

Is this newer version, the blue/red ones? Because I have one of the older ones and I have had it for years and never had an issue. Change the battery once in a blue moon and thats it

My Garmin HRM (blue - tri?) last until I need to change the battery. They then die shortly after. I’ve tried all sorts, wearing a static wrist strap while changing the battery, sealing the cover with dielectric grease etc, but they still die. Joyfully, the latest strap has been alerting of a low battery for a few weeks now so its life expectancy has been significantly reduced.

Thanks gentlemen, glad it’s not just me that destroys them.

Yes been using the dual Garmin ones, ANT+ talks to my watch, Bluetooth to the trainer/spin bike.

Reading good things about the Polar S10, anyone using one of those long term?

I’ve been using the Polar H10 optical sensor on my arm for a few years since I got fed up of kiling garmin HRMs. Been pretty much faultless (apart from one cadence lock issue), just charge it once a week or so

1 Like